My Dad is Free of Pain and Suffering

stand4hope

My friends,

The long, hard battle my dad has fought for years, especially the last five months is over. He joined my mom in the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ at 1:47 p.m. today.

My dad was a kind, compassionate, loving man. He was in the U.S. Army Air Force during World War II, was married to my mom for 51 years at the time of her death, raised four children, has three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. He was a truck drive for an asphalt company and retired in 1992. He was 76 years young.

My brother, my two sisters, my pastor and me were all with him at the time his sweet heart stopped beating. My husband was also with us all morning, but went home so he could be with our son when I called him with the news. My dad had a very hard life, but no matter how bad things ever were, he was always optimistic. Whenever I was sad or worried, he always said, "Think positive, baby, think positive." Those were his very words to me when I told him about my husband's diagnosis through my tears.

Since Jan. 30, 2004 he has been in the hospital, ICU twice, an acute long-term care hospital, and most recently in a skilled care nursing facility. When he left his home in an ambulance at 5:00 a.m. on Jan. 30, he never thought for a minute that he would never go back home again. He kept "thinking positive." He won the hearts of every nurse in every facility that touched him. He winked at them, flirted with them, made them laugh, and always smiled at them and never - NOT ONE TIME - ever complained about anything. NEVER! Even though he was on a ventilator, feeding tube and couldn't talk, he never complained and he always smiled at everyone. ALWAYS!

He returned by ambulance to the same hospital in ICU where he started this whole journey in January, and was cared for by two of the same nurses that fell in love with him in February, and his pulmonary doctor for the past 15 years. Both of the nurses said to me that when they saw the name of the person that was coming in, they said, "Oh no, not Cliff."

He was the best. All four of us are really going to miss our dad. :cry::cry::cry::cry: We will be saying good-bye to him Sunday at 4:00 p.m.

Love,

Peggy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Peggy, I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your father. He sounds like such a wonderful guy. It's good that he will be with your mother, his love, for eternity. He can rest now. No more pain, only happiness.

Cat

Peggy,

I'm so very sorry on the loss of your father. I hope the end was gentle and he eased into spending eternity with your mother. I wish you and your brother and sisters strength and peace in the future - both near and far.

Love always,

Becky

Peggy,

I know this is a hard time for you, but knowing that you did all you could do with love will get you through it. I promise. YOur dad was and still is surrounded by love. Know he lives forever in your wonderful memories.

love

elaine

Peggy, I am so very sorry. The post you wrote tells quite a story about the kind of man your Dad was.... he sounds like he touched an awful lot of lives and will be remembered fondly by many, many people. I will be praying for you and for strength for your family. God Bless. Sharon

Peggy,

You and your family are in my prayers. I am so sorry for your loss.

What a wonderful man ~ your father! I have always thought that when we go to heaven we will be able to finally see the big picture as God sees it. We will be shown how our lives affected others and how that causes a ripple effect of sorts or we will see the beautiful tapestry of how our lives were woven into others and the masterpiece created by our lives touching each others. I am sure your father's ripples or tapestry are absolutely dazzling and your mother and the angels are rejoicing with him. He was sure a blessing to so many in big ways and small.

God bless~

Karen M.

My dear Peggy,

I knew when I hadn't seen any posts from you that your dear Father had died. I know that your Mother is cradling him right now, offering him love and comfort and letting him know his suffering is over.

You have been an amazing daughter taking such loving good care of him while having so much more on your plate.

Take care Peggy, you know that all of us here are thinking and praying for you.