Starting Chemo on Tuesday

Nancy B

Hi Everybody,

I met with my oncologist last Thursday and he is starting me on carboplatin and Etoposide (VP16). I get both on Tuesday, the VP16 on Wedn. and Thursday and then 3 weeks off for four cycles. I am limited stage sc BUT the cells were a little larger than normal sc but still considered small cell???? I am pretty anxious about the chemo. I know alot of you have had this combination - what can I expect?

Also, I will be having PCI after the chemo. I have a "friend" who has scared the heck out of me - he says that PCI causes your head to swell, your brain to swell and you permanently lose your hair. My oncologist said the only side effect is that you lose acouple of IQ points down the road.

Needless to say I am really going to be relying on you guys - thanks so much for being here and being such a caring family.

Love and hugs,

Nancy

Hi Nancy, I never had the pci only radiation and chemo.The chemo I had was also diff.I still think tho that you can look forward to sick at stomach and just overall kinda sick.It is doable tho and things will get better.I'm praying that you go thru this with no problems and don't lose any IQ pts at all.

Nancy, I'm on carbo and etoposide. Just finished my second cycle on Wednesday...and if it weren't for radiation starting the next day...I'd be fine. But....yesterday I got sick. :(

Now...that said....I had NO nausea whatsoever when just on the chemo. I am given Decadron and Zofran prior to chemo...am on the same regimen as you are...and the IV premeds worked really well as I never even got queasy. I'd ask your doc about them.

The three nights of chemo, I also took a Zofran and Ativan pill before bedtime and that was all I needed.

Like I say, this week...chemo ended Wednesday and then radiation started, PLUS I had a Neulasta shot on Thursday and the Amifostine shot prior to radiation (which can cause nausea too) on Friday. It was all too much for my system and I did get sick yesterday...but the doc thinks it's just because of the combination of everything.

I hope you do well on the chemo...but DO ask about premeds to help. I really think they make a difference!

Oh, as for PCI, my onc recommends it too...but we haven't really fully discussed it yet so I'll be following your question too to see what others say.

Nancy,

Earl had whole brain radiation. He did lose his hair but it came back, slowly but surely. He lost is again on chemo and it is coming back, slowly but surely.

Each time it came back with either a different color or texture. But then again it was like having a new man in my life, lol.

Good luck and extra prayers for easy and successful treatments.

Nancy,

I was on that combo, with the same schedule. I had no nausea, on 3rd day I would be very tired plus a couple days more real tired. Fatigue got worse with each round, as blood counts went down pretty quick. I had red blood cell transfusions after rounds 3-6. My last round was delayed a week because platelets and Red Blood counts bottomed out. The good news was, though it kicked my but, it also kicked the cancer into remission. 4 months later, I am still dealing with very minor fatigue and lots of other things, but the cancer is gone. :D

Good luck with it dear!

Blessings

Betty

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Nancy, I had the same chemo drugs and underwent chest radiation at same time. I had some nausea but please remember that I have an ulcer and have had stomach problems forever. They gave me compazine for home, an IV anti-nausea when I asked for it and Anzamet for 3 days following each chemo cycle. The IV and Anzamet in my case were only given after I reported nausea.

As for the brain swelling, my radiologist told me there is only swelling when you have mets to the brain - its the mets that swell.

Try to hang loose or at least try not to climb the nearest tree. :D I was terrified going into chemo & found that it is NOT as bad as I thought it would be - not at all.

Cat

Nancy,

I can't offer any answers to your questions because that is not the chemo regimen that I had, but I wish you well and know that this is going to be ok.....you'll do beautifully and if you have any questions or concerns, talk to the staff at your oncologist's office. They do this every day and it is their job to get you through the treatment. They will be happy to help.....

Best of luck and keep us posted....

Nancy,

I had carbo and vp-16. I was given some kind of steroid IV with the treatment and zophran after. My oncologist had told me I was going to be UNDERWHELMED....I was. My hair did fall out but is back now with a beautiful curl to it. I never had PCI so I can't comment on that. I never had any blood count problems except a little anemia, which was treated with geratol. :) Good luck.

Nina

Good luck, Nancy. My husband started his chemo today (taxol and carboplatin) and so far, so good. But it's early days so we'll have to see. He took decadron last night (two batches), then they gave him more with the anti-nausea medication in the IV this morning, plus benadryl, then the chemo. He's feeling fine right now -- hoping that it lasts! I know your chemo is different but the timing is certainly similar!

Ellen

Good luck, Nancy. My husband started his chemo today (taxol and carboplatin) and so far, so good. But it's early days so we'll have to see. He took decadron last night (two batches), then they gave him more with the anti-nausea medication in the IV this morning, plus benadryl, then the chemo. He's feeling fine right now -- hoping that it lasts! I know your chemo is different but the timing is certainly similar!

Ellen

Good Luck to You!

My combo is a bit different....Cisplatin and VP-16, and side effects were minimal (the pre-meds help a great deal, and so far Compazine as needed for the nausea have worked very well). I did lose my hair....but what a bundle I'm saving on shampoo!!!!!

Can't offer you anything re: the PCI......but I'm sending along some very good thoughts to you......hope all goes wonderfully well!!

Mary