Coughing Up Blood

IIIp0

Well, our continuing story is that last Tuesday Bob couldn't have his chemo 'cause his blood cells were like, almost non-existent~ severely low platelets and white blood cells like, nil. So we wait -- this is week seven of no chemo since his three-week stint of radiation to brain and spine and blood transfusions.

Early this morning he is coughing up blood and {I just can't believe this}, his legs and back pain is coming back!~ After 3-weeks of radiation~ I told him he MUST have some resistence to all of this [since he never lost his hair either - can you imagine???].

But I'm rather scared from the blood - called the onc on call who's retort was " well, yes that is pretty standard for extensive stage SCLC, he's just following the progression of the disease. " I took a big sigh and said, "Oh, I feel much beter now~" In other words -- what in the hell does THAT mean????? And how does HE know it's not chronic heart failure [bob also has pain down his arm but not in his chest], or an embolism, or or or?????? He asked me if we've called Hospice yet.

I really resent the fact that since these guys are the only oncs. in town, literally -- they've got you; and frankly, interest outside of the cookie-cutter manifestations is nonexistent. And they don't really care because, they say - he should be with Hospice.

Monday we go and see our Oncologist. And maybe he's right -- it seems that no matter what we've done, that nothing really IS working, and Bob's blood just can't keep up with the demands of the chemo and radiation. This radiation really kicked butt I tell you. He's slept literally -- on and off all day for this past week; walking only from the bed to the living room, and back on and off all day and all night long. Resting, eating a little bit, and resting some more.....

In case you can't tell, I'm slightly befuttled, disenchanted and discouraged. I don't know what is right any more I guess [not that I ever did mind you]; sorry to be rambling.....

Any thoughts or experiences witih coughing up blood would be welcomed. Thanks for letting me share.

Beth

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Beth,

You can cough up blood from a stomach problem, from a nasal infection (your nose doesn't bleed - you actually cough up the blood). I know after my needle biopsy I was told I could cough up blood but not to worry unless it was a very large amount. Radiation can irritate the lung (naturally) and as it attempts to heal you can cough up sputum tinged with blood.

Did the onc asked questions about what the blood looked like? Did he ask whether it was mostly sputum or any other questions about its appearance?

Cat

During radiation/chemo treatment (at the same time), I was nausous from the chemo and fried from the inside out from the radiation. Put them together and it all added up to throwing up my lunch along with some charred looking blood. Talk about freaking out. My oncologist was quick to tell me that this was actually ok (in my case) since the radiation had burnt the heck out of my esophogus and the act of vomiting caused some "sluffing" of the charred lining in there. Gross, yes....but also a relief to hear.

I'm not sure where your husband is receiving radiation, but if it is directly hitting his esophogus, perhaps this could be the case? Might be worth discussing w/ his radiation oncologist?

I hope for a quick remidy to this situation for you and send prayers for you both.

Heather

Thanks Cat, Heather -- to answer Cat - no, the onc. didn't ask any such questions; just said that it probably was just the 'progression' of the disease; in other words, maybe the tumor was intruding into his airways, or some such and I get turned OFF with "maybe this, maybe that"~. So I'm not sure actually, he either said airways or brochial something.... I can't IMAGING him going through Chemo AND Radiation at the same time~ whew....

I've done some reading and from I'm able to determine is that lots of blood is not a good thing; but a little blood is 'typical' -- I guess.

Thanks for responding~

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Of course, you were in shock. The onc sounds like a ninny.

I will say prayers for both you and your husband. Lots of them. Promise.

Cat

Beth,

I am right there with you sweetie. While Earl is not coughing up blood he is sleeping or dozing most of the day and only going from bed to recliner to couch to recliner to bed. It is most disheartening and sad.

I wish I had a magic answer for you, I don't, but I will say that your onc. seems like an unfeeling you know what.

This whole journey stinks for both the patient and the caregiver. We just have to stay strong and upbeat which sometimes is very hard.

Keep us in your prayers and I will keep you in mine.

Beth- My husband was also diagosed with sclc with mets to the liver, hip, spine, brain and lymph nodes in Dec 2003. After radiation (full brain) and three rounds of chemo, he did start trowing up blood. It was not a lot, but it was scary! His oncologist said if it is just a little at a time, not to panic. But, if it seemed to be a cup or more, they would want to evaluate him, just to be safe.

I am sorry for you, my heart breaks for you! I know how hard it is to watch him suffer. Scott has been lucky (not lucky to have cancer) but, lucky that he has not had much suffering so far. He does have pain in his back and left leg, but not severe enough for pain meds. Even after they replaced his hip, he only required pain med the 1st day after the surgery. I knwo he is in more pain then he tells me, sometimes he can not stand after sitting, or can not walk for a minute once he stands up. When he coughs (most of the time) he has to lean forward, because it hurts his back.

if you ever want to talk, you can PM me. I am new on this board, so I am learning to navigate and find my way around here.

You and your hubby are both in my prayers!!