Relay for Life

chloesmom

Well folks, I attended my first Relay for Life yesterday. Never been to one before and this year I organized a team at work. We didn't really know what to expect, and I had some worries about it all--didn't know what I was going to do at the event to pass the time, how can I count on the people on my team to give up a day off to be there, and on and on. Also was very skittish about the emotional aspect of it all for me as I live on the verge of tears sometimes.

As it turned out, we had a wonderful time and had a lot of ideas for expanding and getting a bigger turnout and making a bigger splash with our site next year. The weather could not have been more perfect here in Chicagoland for an outdoor event, and yes, there was that emotional thing, but it's ok, others were a little emotional too.

My team raised about $2600--not bad for people who didn't really know what to do, and we sold homemade snack mix at the event for $1.00 a bag. I also bagged up some store brand jelly belly knock offs and sold those for a dollar. We did fine, but next year, we're gonna cook ribs and sell them and corn on the cob and slaw.......should be a hit.

Don't think there was a dry eye in the place for the luminaria ceremony either---talk about beauty.....

Anyway, we're glad we did it and now we have a whole year to plan the next one........

That is great! I am glad you enjoyed it. Relays are so amazing, it is hard to describe the emotional impact of the luminaria until you've been there!

And then the generosity of people who donate or participate, simply heart felt and what a rush of emotions.