Mom just diagnosed with small cell lc.. HELP

Chris

Hi everyone, it has been another week and again I have good news to report. My mom had her PetScan to determine where through out her body the cancer had spread. She is completely cancer free except for the one spot on her right lung they had already identified. So between the MRI results and this, she is regaining hope big time and mentally doing good. She started her first chemo treatment this past Thursday and she had no side effects for the first two days, but finally kicked in on the third day and she started feeling nauseous with aches and pains across her back. Her Oncologist said it was a result of the type of chemo drug they are using. So she is having a hard time right now keeping food down, and feels a little under the weather but she is doing great. After the initial prognosis it did not look very good, but it goes to show that until all the tests are performed and all the results are in you never know. It would appear that even though it progressed to the point of filling her lung with fluid, it was definitely caught at a very important stage. :D

• 1 month later...

Hi. My Mom is 76 and has Lung Cancer. She finished 30 rounds of radiation 3 weeks ago and 6 weeks of chemo. Next week she will begin 2 high doses of Taxodl (sp?) 3 weeks apart. She had this 3 wk break to get some of her strength back. She is down to 90lbs. The problem is the heartburn. It still hurts her so badly that she won't/can't eat. It wakes her up at night. I am very worried about this. We have tried everything the dr's have given her, prevacid, nexium, maloxx and milk, etc. she tries to eat cottage cheese, milk shakes, stuff like that, but she is so weak and not eating I am afraid for her to begin the high dose chemo. Any suggestions? How long have ya'll found the heartburn continues after radiation?

Also, any tips on anything she may be able to do to occupy her during this. She only has energy to sit. She worked a 40 hr week right up to the diagnosis (age 76) this is so hard for her to be so dependant and so inactive.

P.S. at the start her tumor was the size of a grapefruit, 4 weeks ago it had shrunk 70%, she still had another 5 treatments and that continues working for 2 weeks so we are very hopeful. (that is good right?)