Mom Made Her 79th Birthday and Other Notes.

Guest NowakowDA

Guest NowakowDA

Well! Mom made it. She turned 79 today. She was born Jun 27, 1925. She is the last sibling. All of her brothers and sisters are all dead. They were younger then her when they died. So, I guess she's the winner.

Today we celibrated her birthday with a traditional birthday pizza. Red Baron, three cheese.

How my world has narrowed since she was Dx. I have been here 24/7. Clean the house, buy grocies, pickup prescriptions. Talk to doctors, relatives and anyone else who calls. Take her to appointments. Try to get her to take her medicine and eat, always eat, eat. Drink more fludis, more, more. She worries that she'll wet the bed. Too embarrassing for her. Order oxygen.

I can not pickup a book and read it. In my line of work that can be fatal (computer tech). I have at least half a dozen big (800 to 1000 page) books I should be reading, but can't. Watch TV till I pass out.

Got a baby monitor. Now I can hear her when she has trouble breathing. Last night it was 2:AM when the panic hit. Got up set beside her bed, talked to her. Got her to use her inhalers and drink some more water. Got back to bed at 4:AM. She slept to 7:30. At night she gets upset, worried, confused or frightend. If I can catch it quick enough I can stop it. Thank God for Risperdal. With it, she can sleep. Without it, the episodes can drag on and on and end up in the ER.

Worried she'll miss taking one of her Dexamethason pills. Worried the Pepcid won't kill the acid in her stomach. Major fear is that she will have an impacted bowel and endup in the ER. With her upcoming WBR treatment, that would be a major porblem. Had a small victory tonight. She managed to have a bowel movement. We didn't have to blast. She can pass gas, (sounds like a fart to me!) so I guess everything is OK.

Tomorrow Michael Servilla, her primary care provider and a nurse case worker want to pay her a home visit. I've been laying awake wondering what they want. Tuesday, Dr. Wong and one more time on the sim before her treatment starts. Will it work. What will happen if it dosent' God! Don''t think about that now. Can they do anything about the mass in her lung?

I can handle a lot of things, but I can do nothing about her confusion, disorientation. I can not stop the periods of delirium. Try and make it through tonight. Worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

Work? Not now. Living off savings. Will be OK for a few years if it goes that far. Haven't had a full night's sleep since the Dx. Got to rent wheelchair for Mom's WBR. Wonder how the WBR will affect her. Fatigue, hair loss, loss of appetite. Hard enough now getting her to eat. Left to wonder what next.

Don

Don -

I know others before me have said it but your Mother is so lucky to have you to take care of her. You are an amazing son and caregiver. I only hope that if my mother declines that I will be half the caregiver that you are. Hang in there, take care of yourself and I hope everything goes well with her treatments.

Sending pizza and prayers your way!

Amy

Don,

Just try to think of all the nights and days your mother took care of you and stayed up all night because you were sick or feeling badly. I know it is very hard on you but you are doing a great job. Keep up the good work. You are lucky to have your mom and she is very lucky to have you.

Nina

Don,

You are a good son, I can feel the desparation in your post. After my dad was diagnosed I went over their house everyday and visited, took him to his appts. and generally spent a lot of time with him, however the actual caregiving my mom did, there were a few times I was there when he had to be rushed to the hospital and in those instances I ran out of the house and hid in the backyard, because I couldnt stand to see him going through that, I just wasnt strong enough..My heart goes out to you I know how difficult it is...Your mom is very lucky to have you.

Don,

I'm glad you had a pizza party for your mom's birthday.

Maybe the inhome visit will be more positive than you expect.

You're doing the best you can, and more. Try to take a little time

to be good to yourself. At least try to feed yourself well!!

I pray that God gives you the strength you need to keep doing what you're doing so very very well. I hope someone takes such good care of me when I'm older.....

Hugs and pizza... and root beer. I'd add ice cream too....

XOXOXOXOX

Prayers always

MaryAnn

Hang tough, Don. You're doing a fantastic job of taking care of your mom. I'm glad you all got to celebrate 79th birthday -- you both needed that. Try to put a little more "fun" in this horrible scenario if you can. It will be good for you both. Don W.