Duke of Earl - Chapter 67 - The Radiation Oncologist

ginnyde

Ginny, good to hear that there is an option right here. If Earl has problems in walking etc. that needs your support, then the hospital bed will help a lot. It is very difficult to afford his weight on you own, or even on you & your daughter's efforts. Should reconsider this suggestion !!

Hope Earl has the positive response to the Temodar...... :)

Ginny....This is great news from the radiation onc. what a relief for you and Earl. Hope there's improvement with his strength and fatigue. What helps with Jim when he's weary is a ride in the car. Yesterday we stayed home, bad day for him. But today had to go to Mexico for his Celebrex. He doesn't get out but the ride bring new life and color into him. So happy the news was good today many more good days for you and Earl. Carolyn

Ginny,

This is wonderful news, all except Earl's fatigue. I do pray that he will regain some energy very soon.

Stereotactic radiosurgery will be good. Has he had that before? It really has a very high success rate. My husband was very fortunate that St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis had just purchased one of the new state-of-the-art Novalis machines and it was up and running when he got his treatment. He was treated the 2nd week it was operational. I think there are only about 8-10 of these machines in the U.S., although that number could have increased since November. It was BIG news in Indy. It made the paper, the news and they advertised like crazy - but no more because they have people coming from all over the U.S. for treatment - and they only have one machine. It took all day and into the evening to get it done, but he had 8 mets, and they had some machine setup problems. We were exhausted by the time we got home - mostly from the waiting.

Keep us posted, Ginny.

Love,

Peggy

P.S. Thank you for your PM. I'm sorry I haven't responded yet, but I'm just starting to try to catch up tonight. I'm really doing fine - just tired from all the emotion and activity.

Ginny,

So glad to hear some good news from you folks. Earl is a lucky man to have such a loving, caring family. Hope the fatigue gets better soon ...I can understand his reluctance to a hospital bed...it just seems like a last resort. I know there are pro's and con's but giving up sleeping in his own bed has to be hard on him. He may feel like he will never get back in the bed again. Maybe he will reconsider if he understands it is temporary. Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

Nina

Dear Ginny,

You and the Duke are and will continue to always be in my thoughts and prayers. Sam's computer was upstairs in our bonus room, an exercise in itself for a well person but definitely one for who is not. Also, the room tended to be hot in the summer though very comfortable in the winter. I begged and pleaded with him to let me move everything downstairs for his convenience and safety. Many nights when he was unable to sleep, he go upstairs and work at his computer and I was so afraid that he would fall. He told me he had the stairs counted and he continuously refused to move. I finally quit pushing the issue and since he didn't have much control over the rest of his life, he could certainly choose where he wanted his computer! I hope there is a compromise somewhere for you and the Duke.

May God Bless Us All.

Sam'swifeShirley

Ginny - This is positive news... the onc is not "giving up" which is a major signal that things absolutely could turn around.

Tell Mr Earl to stop being such a proud man and get that hospital bed... I know he sees it as a sign of deterioration (my Dad would be the same way), but, he does not have to use it all the time, it can just be there "in case" he has a day when he really can't make the stairs. And of course tell him it is by NO MEANS a permanent fixture in your house, just there for the "short term" that should make him feel more comfortable with the idea. Prayers as always Ginny. Love, Sharon