I am new to this list!!!

Guest melissa99

Guest melissa99

Hello Everyone!! My Dad was just DX with small cell lung cancer. We don't know what stage it is in or if it is limited or extensive. They found it by accident so we are hopeful. He is coughing up blood,which scares me. His pulmonary Dr. did not seem to know where if anywhere else the cancer is---He gave him a pet-scan so I thought that was the most accurate test for cancer to show where every bit of the cancer was? Am I confused? A Dr. who orders a test should have to know how to read the darn thing!! Well he is 60 years old and I would like to hear from anyone who has similiar situation.....Thanx Melissa :?: [/b]

Hi Melissa

I just read your post about your dad. I had sclc - limited diagnosed in April 2002 after months of pneumonia?, asthma? anemia? bronchitis? many different guessings by many doctors - finally they did a meidastenoscopy(spelling, sorry) and found the cancer that way. I think that is the true test. as a background, I am 50 years old, went thru four rounds of chemo three weeks apart and about 30 radiation treatments ending in June of 2002. to date, no sign of cancer (whew!) and i feel good and am back to work and "normal" life . This board is VERY GOOD for info and support in our situation. I suggest you log into the SCLC site and read past posts from these members to get an insight as to what can be done for your Dad. Keep your chin up, read up and make sure you find a good oncologist for Dad. I will keep you in my prayers. :)

Joanie

Hi Melissa,

Sorry you have to go through the ups and downs of this awful disease, but you have found great supportive people here. My mom was diagnosed with Non Small Cell in March 2003. She found a lump on her neck and went in to the pulmonologist for a biopsy. He gave her the diagnosis of cancer. They then ordered a CT scan, PET scan, and MRI of her head to find out if the cancer had spread. However her pulmonologist turned it over to an oncologist after the initial diagnosis. She has been dealing with her oncologist throughout all the additional tests. I know that the PET scan seemed to be the most thorough in detecting whether the cancer had spread elsewhere.

I think the most difficult time for me so far has been the month following her diagnosis. I felt so overwhelmed with all the information and confused on what I did read. I then found this group of loving people while doing some research. They have answered my questions and calmed my nerves. So here is the place to turn if you need support.

I will be praying for you and your family. Remain hopeful, because hope and a positive attitude carries us so much farther in life.

All my best,

Andrea

Melissa, has your father had a biopsy performed ? Has he been referred to an oncologist ? I was diagnosed with Small Cell in the limited stage ( meaning it was contained to one lung ) this was determined only after several test that included an mri of the brain,bone scan,and ct scan of the abdomine and pelvic area. This is tough news and i am sorry you have to be here. However you have found the best place in the world for survivors and family,friends of survivors.Please update us and keep us posted. There is alot of knowledge and support here and im quite sure you will get plenty of responses to your posting that will lead you in the right direction. Again, hello and welcome to our family.

Greg

Guest melissa99

Thank you for making me feel so welcome! I know I am not alone!! It is really hard because I am in southern NJ and my Dad is in Southern Florida. I cannot at this time be there with him as I have an autistic son and he cannot be taken out of school and he goes right through the summer. I want to be there for him. I feel helpless.Geez--My mom died when I was 7 yrs old I have an autistic son(which is VERY CHALLENGING)and now this cancer. Also my grandmother is in the hospital with septic arthritis...what next??(maybe I shouldn't ask that question)!!!

I guess the next step is to find the stage and what treatment will be used? My dad is strong--he has been through alot in his life and he is not done here,not by a long shot!!! Well, now you all know my situation and I look forward to getting to know you all,Thank you Melissa

Melissa,

This is a roller coaster ride that has huge ups and downs. The ride is not fun and frankly makes me sick...but there are no better people in the world than here on these boards. They will be you and your dads biggest cheerleaders and will carry you over the rough roads. BELIEVE me cause lately they all probably have hernias for all the carrying they have been doing for me.

This is a winnable, fightable diesease do your homework, (when you have time) and find out what his treatments are and if his doctor is positive or negative....if he's negative dump him and find a positive one. This is not only tough on the patient but on all family members as well so let us help you on this journey.

Melissa, I was diagnosed 4 days after my 60th b'day.So, at 60 your dad is young, by my reckoning!

How do they know it's small cell?

I had Cts, MRIs, bone scan, and a PET. I had 2 different primary tumors in the same lobe. The one that was biopsied (squamous), bloomed. The other one didn't. No one knew what it was. Guesses were infection or scarring. Found out after the lobe was removed. It was adeno! But, basically dead.

I hope your dad has a positive attitude. It sure will help him! JudyB

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Hi Melissa,

Glad you posted! My step-dad (52 years old) was diagnosed with SCLC March 1, 2003. He found out because he was coughing up blood, after his 'pneumonia' wouldn't clear up so they did an x-ray. If your Dad isn't comfortable with the Dr. he has, he should feel free to find a Dr. your Dad can have confidence in.

You'll find much support and answers to questions here. :)

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to our family.

My mom has NSCLC (stage IV) but my grandma had SCLC that was limited when it was diagnosed. She was also only 60 years old.

As far as I know...the best way to find out where the cancer is through a PET scan...although the only 100 percent way to know is through a biopsy.

Because it is impossible to go around to every organ (and time consuming) and remove cells...doctors use PET and CT scans to give them a better idea of the location and sizes of tumors and mets.

The first few weeks are a very difficult time...with tons of questions...and uncertainties.

Make sure that you have an oncologist you are comfortable with...and stay away from stats!!!

Take Care,

Laura

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to the site, I am so sorry that you have the need to be here. I will be praying for your father, and for your family.

My husband was originally diagnosed with SCLC, but that later changed to Atypical carcinoid. Many of the forms of lung cancer share similar characteristics, so I am curious how that diagnosis was made, unless a biopsy was preformed. Usually small cell is diagnosed after a biopsy stain test. I am hoping your father is staged at limited stage. A Pet scan is fairly accurate, although there is some subjectivity and errors with PET scans. Your father should also get an MRI of the brain and a Bone Scan, as a PET scan will not show the Brain or bones. There are quit a few options out there for curative action on limited stage SCLC, including surgery which has shown a lot of success at long term cure rates.

There are also long term survivors of extensive stage SCLC, so keep your hope up, and know that this battle can be won.

Come here whenever you need anything. This is a wonderful place, with lots of information, support and love. We are here to answer questions, lift your spirits, vent your fears and anger, whatever you need. We will understand, and we will try to help. We are here for you, because we truly care.

God Bless,

Carleen