Time to formally say hello

SJAS

Been stopping in over the last few months when there are a few minutes to spare. Love the info and support to be found here and would like to give whatever we can also. My husband, Steve, collapsed in Aug. 2003 and after a week's delay caused by a misdiagnosis (Stage IV NSCLC and he was sent home with an inhaler for asthma which he has never had!) was found to have a lung fully collapsed with over 6 liters of fluid surrounding it, pressing on right lung and heart. He's 51, a non-smoker, super involved, active dad for our 14 and 16 year-old sons, and he's been my other half for the last 33 years. Our story reads much like so many of yours. He is struggling with the new series of Gemzar/Cis chemo which is decimating his blood counts, but he's not down for the count. He had been on track for Gamma Knife brain surgery, when his 4 brain mets disappeared. Unfortunately, those four were replaced with about 15 so it was WBRT instead. While he came back amazingly well from the original radiation and Carbo/Taxol, WBRT recovery has been pretty rough. Iressa is next up if we have to give up Gemzar/Cis (peripheral neuropathy is getting pretty severe in his feet), and we are counting on big miracles there. This amazing guy walked the Survivor's Lap on Saturday with his 87 y.o. cancer survivor mother., when he has been barely able to get around the house lately. They may have been the last two to make it, but their determination put them right up there with the champs. We're goin' for the gold!

Welcome to the board. I am sorry you had to seek us out but glad you found this loving, caring place. We are here for you ...we will listen...give advise and support you any way we can. I hope your husband begins to have an easier time of it. If he must go to the Iressa there are several people on here that have taken it with much success.

I will add you to my prayer list...Keep in touch.

Nina

Joyce,

Welcome to the spouses' club no one wants to join. But this site has brought me immeasurable comfort, support and knowledge over the past 1 1/-2 years.

My husband has been dx'd almost a year more than Steve and while the journey has been very tough, he too continues to go for the gold.

Ask, vent, cry whatever, but keep us posted and hopefully we will give you answers and comfort.

Joyce,

Welcome. I just wanted to say that when I was on Carbo/Taxol that neuropathy blossomed very rapidly. My feet felt like logs and I couldn't really even type or write because of my fingers. When I came off of that chemo, I almost got back to normal. Seems any form of chemo results in neuropathy complications for me, but it has never gotten to the extent of that original bout. I am experiencing it now with Gemticabine, but at a very tolerable level. I hope that all goes well for you and your family.

Blessings,

Margaret

Hi Joyce and WELCOME! Your husband's age and diagnosis are very similar to my husband's. I love your attitude, and I love your closing that "We're goin' for the gold!" Woohoo - that's the right kind of thinking. We truly are very sorry you had a reason to even have to search and find this site, but we sure are glad you found us. Write often and let us know how you both are doing.

God bless you,

Peggy

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Joyce - I'm so impressed with Steve and his mom walking the Survivor Lap. Tell them both thank you for the inspiration. It doesn't matter if they came in first or last - THEY DID IT!! Whoopee! Alright! Fantastic!

Prayers for all of you.

Cat