Pain & a panic attack

jamie

Hi everyone, I promised to give the details about my dads surgery so here it goes...

Before surgery my dad had an all out panic attack. The called his name to go in, and he couldnt move, felt faint, face went white as a ghost, and literally couldnt walk. After a few minutes and some drugs, he was ok.

Just scared to death.

The surgery lasted a little over 4 hours, and according to the dr., went really well. The only problem was a ventricle that wouldnt stop bleeding, but they got that under control. They ended up taking only 1/3 lobe instead of 1/2 (i dont know why, but presume its a good thing). They did scrape alot of scar tissue from radiation though. Also took some lymph.'s that the dr. said looked cancer free, how he knew that I have no idea. Hes testing everything though just to make sure...

The recovery so far has been absolutly awful, for a good reason. My dads epidural fell out after surgery, and noone noticed. My dad kept complaining of pain so bad that he couldnt move at all yesterday, but everyone kept telling him it was part of it. Last night, my dads O2 levels dropped so low that he set of his monitor alarm. They asked him to do some breathing and realized that the pain was keeping him from taking a deep enough breath and then found that he was getting NO pain medication because of the epidural. They were going to reinsert it for him, but he refused and asked for that "morphine button". They gave it to him and he's SO much more comfortable now.

He said he never expected it to be THIS painful, but is feeling SO lucky to have the surgery done. They expect him to be out of the hospital on the 3rd.

Thanks everyone for wonderin, and prayin, and carin... I appreciate it more than you know.

Jamie

Jamie,

My epidural fell out too--oh boy, do I remember that! But, once we got that pain management issue under control, I started getting better really quickly.

I sure hope things continue to go well for him...please keep us up to date.

Jamie,

So glad your Dad's surgery ordeal is over. Just be sure he keeps taking the pain meds at home - he can't heal if he is in pain. The hospital I went to for my surgery told me they consider pain level as your 5th vital sign. It will get better but just takes time. You guys are in my prayers.

Hugs,

Nancy

My dad is supposto be getting up and walking tommorow. I hope that he can... hes a little "loopy" from the morphine. All in all, hes feeling 100% better now that his pain is under control... I will keep everyone updated!

Thanks!

Jamie

Jamie,

I am so glad that your father's surgery went well. I definitely think having 1/3 removal verses 1/2 is a good thing, especially accompanied by clean lymphs. Hurray!! :D:D

I am also glad to hear that he is feeling much better now that they have the pain issue in control, and I will be sending my prayers out for a fast and pain-free recovery.

God Bless

Carleen

Jamie,

I had my first ever (and so far, only) panic attack two days after diagnosis - at work, no less!

Pain management is a personal issue - some people have a higher tolerance than other. My epidural didn't fall out, but was removed SEVEN DAYS after surgery and I spent another two days in the hospital trying to get the pain out of control. I have NEVER in my life hurt so bad and I didn't like it...

I wasn't walked around until about day five. The nurses threatened every day after day two, but the pain was too much to move in the bed, let alone stand up!

My nurses were SO very good to me. Were it not for the circumstances, it would have been pretty fun! :wink:

I had more fears when I got home. The first few nights I was afraid to go to sleep. For some reason, I didn't think I'd wake up. Sounds totally crazy, I know, but it's how I felt. I slept on a reclining end of my sofa because laying down flat made me gurgle - and hurt. Movements were painful, I couldn't shower nor wash my own hair, I drew the line on help when I went to the bathroom but the "paperwork" - OY! My arm didn't want to cooperate...

I hate feeling helpless and after nine days in the hospital, I spent far too long immobile and useless on my living room couch. I couldn't lift, couldn't drive...argh!

I also couldn't sleep. I work at a chemical plant that runs 24/7, so when I was up in the wee hours, I could always call and find someone to talk to from my group...otherwise, "The Voice" would haunt me. I couldn't sleep and the doubts were SOOOOO huge. See if you can find someone for your dad to be able to talk to at oh-dark-thirty if he doesn't want to wake up your mom....

Obviously, getting better is possible, but while going through it - well, ya wonder if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.

I hope his pain gets wrangled in soon and he's up and out in no time!

Hugs,

Becky

Jamie,

I'm so glad your dad's surgery went well, but sorry he had to experience that pain. I'm also happy to hear they got it under control with the morphine.

As your dad comes off the morphine, don't be alarmed if he sees strange things or maybe even has some hallucinations. I've know three people that had morphine for pain in the hopsital, and all three had some type of hallucinations. My mom swore up and down that a little man in a picture on the wall at the hospital was moving. Us kids all told her we didn't see anything moving. My husband told her he saw it just so she wouldn't be so upset about it. :lol: She also kept smashing tiny little spiders on her tray table that weren't there. She wasn't scared and it wasn't anything that freaked her out. My dad said somebody was dropping something over the side of the curtain in ER and then they would pull it back up again. I quote him - he said "There is really some weird sh** going on here." :lol::lol: He told his best friend the same story. His friend tried to tell him it was the morphine, but he wouldn't buy that for a minute. He insisted it was real.

Anyway, don't be afraid if he acts a little weird, it will go away.

Again, I'm glad it all went well, Jamie.

Love,

Peggy

Oh geez, Peggy! I didn't have morphine in the hospital, I came home with Darvocet and was CONSTANTLY seeing spiders all over in my peripheral vision - and I mean the WHOLE WALL was covered with big black spiders and when I'd turn my head to look straight on, they weren't really there (thank God, I HATE spiders!)...

The mottled wall in my room melted...I talked to nurses that weren't there and woke up when I didn't think I was asleep...and then there was that x-rated "Fantasia" with the little dancing :oops: ---- er, anyhow...

I FORGOT about that! The spiders stayed around for a while, I didn't tell anyone around the house about them because I figured they'd have me committed! :shock: In fact, every now and then, I STILL have that come over me and I ALWAYS look KNOWING that one day, there really will BE spiders all over the wall and coming after me... and that's how I can go with Cheryl to the basement and monster-hunting - I'm less scared of monsters than spiders! :roll:

GEESH, I need to get all this written down so I can have "Scary Potty" stories to rival "Harry Potter"!

Well girls,

Ive never heard of this, then again ive never been on morphine, but I will be sure to tell my Dad... when you guys were on... did you forget EVERYTHING??? I know my dad is loopy, but he forgets things now that happened BEFORE he went into surgery. Like everything he told me the morning of. I dont know but thought it was kindof weird.

You guys are kindof weird with your spiders, so thought Id ask you! :D

Just kidding!!!

Jamie

Hey Jamie, It wasn't me that saw the spiders - it was that crazy Becky lady. :lol::lol: It was also my mom. The strongest pain med I've ever had is Darvocet. I've tried codein and vicodin but they made me sick to my stomach. No hallucinations for me - thank you very much. Now, Becky, that's another story. Now that she told us her spider story (she never told me that one) - that explains A LOT of things. :lol::P:D:):P:lol::wink::wink::wink:

Peggy

Elaine,

I don't quite get your post. I didn't say anybody did want to take morphine. My mom didn't want it and my dad didn't want it, and my friend didn't want it, and I sure didn't want them to have it. Where did that comment come from? I didn't like my mom seeing those spiders, even though she wasn't scared. It made me cry. I was just warning Jamie ahead of time so she wouldn't be afraid if her dad had a problem with it. Becky said she saw spiders with Darvocet, not morphine. Becky's my friend. I was kidding her and she knows that. Did I say something wrong? Is this one of the "word" things that didn't come out right?

Love,

Peggy

Jamie,

No bug talk here, just very glad the surgery is behind your Dad. Earl's recovery was tough for about a month, maybe because he had a chest tube for 3 weeks.

The doctor has so much experience, he probably can have a good idea from just looking at the lymph nodes, but the pathology report is still needed.

Don't forget the pillow for your Dad, he will definitely need it for the ride home.

Peggy,

Guess I need to apologize publicly. When I read your post that said, "No hallucinations for me, thanks," I took it to mean that you wouldn't do any medication that might lead to that kind of side effect. Thus my post. But what really caused my post, is a conversation I had earlier in the day, with someone else who was telling me what I should and should not do. It is hard sometimes for me to hear from a healthy person what he or she would or would not do. One never knows until the time comes. I wasn't really angry, I was just saying, don't say "never", cos you just don't know.

elaine

No problem, Elaine. :D Thanks for explaining. As you know, this happens all the time when we're writing in cyberspace - the misunderstood written word. Glad we got it straightened out. Have a great day!

Jamie, Sorry we stole your post for a short time there. How is your dad feeling today?

Love to all,

Peggy

Jamie,

Don't worry about your father not remembering much before surgery - like what he said to you. I remembered quite a bit of "before surgery" and that surprised the nurses...ya see, your WONDERFUL anesthesiologist dopes your right up with a drug that GIVES you short-term memory loss. He's not SUPPOSED to remember much from DURING and shortly BEFORE surgery. I think that my time before surgery was imprinted on my brain because I was scared spitless and had a WONDERFUL nurse that set my IVs - she came up to see me in ICU later to tell me my bloodtype because I didn't know it AND my anesthesiologist told me to take a deep breath of his "stuff" and start counting backwards from 100 - I remember what I said before I inhaled (Clinton joke? LOL) "Use 'em while you got 'em" (not "smoke 'em if you have 'em"), but I cannot remember what number I got to...

I remember the epidural going in prior to surgery because they kicked my husband out (and he holds my hand for ALL needles) and this wonderful nurse, when I asked who was going to hold my hand, said "I will" and actually gave me a big hug when they did that procedure. The good stuff stays imprinted, just wish I'd "slept" a bit longer, I woke up to a nurse doing the blood gas after surgery and THAT HURT! I think my alarm went off five minutes before they had set it! :wink:

ANYHOW, I'm dealing with memory loss/lapse now, but it was NOT a concern then. It's planned that way, don't worry!

...and Peggy, my feathers aren't ruffled, you were surprised by my spider story, you HAVEN'T heard the detailed story of the dancing pe-- :oops: ! Talk about whacked out hallucinations, have an x-rated dream and open your eyes to a bunch of people standing around the bed going over your vitals and you just KNOW they saw what your brain was flashing on screen...LOL

So I was in a lot of pain, I STILL enjoyed "the staff". Go figure!

Hope he's up and dancin' a polka soon - tune in on Sunday morning...heheheh

Becky

Jamie, just catching up on the board and read your post re your fathers epidural falling out. THAT HAPPENED TO ME the first night. Wow, I have a high pain tolerance but that pain was beyond anyone, believe me. I called for help and they told me it fell out, and they would have to call the doctor, then they would have to send for a pump, then they would have to send for the "button" to push etc. By then I was just sobbing. No one came back so I called again. The nurse that came in said " O you don't need that button, just push the square on the box" Now I would swear if that was my habbit, and they would be really bad words. Why didn't they tell me that before. Believe me the pain of broken ribs, 2 chest tubes rubbing your innards, muscles stretched for hours to places they were never meant to stretch, etc it very painful. Your Dad is a brave man to have had to go through that. Thank God he is now on the road to recovery. The epidural is great for pain relief but only if it is in place and functioning. Please keep us posted on how he is doing. Donna G

Hi everyone,

My dad is feeling pretty good today, but nervous about having to get up. He wants to, just scared I guess. He already wants to go home and is glad that he only has 3 days left...if everything keeps going as well as it has been. I am curious though, why is everyone against morphine? Is it the addiction thing???

Jamie

Jamie,

I don't blame your dad for being nervous about getting up. After any surgery, we all dread that first big move that our bodies have to take - Ouch! and very scary. Since he's so motivated to go home, that will make getting up and moving around a little easier - it's a mind thing - "I'll do anything - just get me out of here." :) Been there, done that.

I don't think anybody's against morphine. I don't know if it's the strongest available, but I'm sure it's very close to the top. I'm sure glad it was available for my mom and dad. Last Friday, my dad was getting it every 15 minutes, so I'm very grateful that it was available to keep him comfortable at the end :cry: , but just wish he hadn't had to need it in the first place if you know what I mean.

Hope you get your dad home soon!

Love,

Peggy

Jamie,

I'm glad your dad's surgery went well, and that he's recovering nicely.

He'll get up and walk, he'll have to real soon....

I had to put my arm in a sling and strap it to my body so it wouldn't move and hurt while I got up and walked...

As to morphine, I am so held together by baling wire and bubblegum (and goretex, can't forget the goretex) I still take morphine as one of three kinds of pain medications, and likely will for a very long time.

I don't see things from it. Only thing made me see things was one of those new wierd antibiotics, believe it or not! (fluoro xx- quinolones?)

Pain control is a large contribution to recovery.

XOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

I am so sorry to hear your dad is having a rough time

I too had some major pain management problem right out of the OR :(

creaps wouldnt beleave me when I said i was feeling pain!!!HELLO whos body is this anyway!!!! only advise I can give is dont let the nurse leave unless she/he takes care of the problem. They have to follow certain proticol to get things done but it is doable you just cant give in. if they leave and say they will be right back keep pushing the panic button. bug them until they take care of your problem. Let them know you will bug them all night/day in a nice way untill your problem is taken care of.

My pain management nightmare is a whole other story for another time

as for the morphine, with major surgery like this if it works and dosnt make you violently sick take it. if it works and only causes mild nausea and you can take anti nausea meds take it. however if you want to go home quicker you need to get off the drip meds and on the oral meds TAKE THE MEDS. you will feel better and be up and moving around sooner which will make you feel better which will make your family and nurses feel better which makes every one feel better so feel better!!!!!!!!!!!! :D