Pain & a panic attack

jamie

Hey Jamie,

WOW, poor dad, but I am so glad to hear he is feeling a little better today! As for Morphine, I don't think anyone is aganist it, it's just that they have BETTER pain med's today and they don't knock you out as bad. Turst me, it's not the addiction thing at all! He can get addicted to any of them, but don't panic, it isn't going to happen. His pain med's are going to his PAIN. So, let the medicine do it's work! 8)

Hugs and well wishes to Dad, and YOU!

Con

Hi again!

Just a quick update...

My dad got up and walked the halls today. He said that he cant just sit there anymore. That was the good part of the day....

Later on in the morning, his chest drain disconnected! He said the pain was worse than right after surgery. The nurse and doctor fixed it within a few minutes, but they had to put it on a suction to get the air out... because they said that was what was causing all of the pain. After all the panic was over and the hose was reconnected the dr. said "What did you do?..Move?" My dad was like "Yea!" Geese!!! God forbid he moved! Luckly everything was back to normal after that, and he is feeling better day by day.

He asked us not to come up and see him tommorow. Says he needs a "day off". I guess we have been kindof suffocating him. Me, my mom, my brother, his mom, his brothers, and 4 nieces and nephews at any given time are always popping up there. He says hes tired of "entertaining" and PLEASE stay away...just for tommorow. I dont think he likes the big fuss over him.

I could use the day off anyway. Its just been brought to my attention that I havent cleaned my house or did a load of laundry since last Fri. (My husband seems to be keeping track :? ). So it really isnt a day off, just a day to catch up.

More tommorow, and again, thanks guys...

Jamie

Jamie,

Tell him that pain is a sign of life! :):):):)

Will he at least allow your mom to be there tomorrow?

My mom told me to shove off to at some points. I think though your dad is being like my mom and doing it for our own sakes so we can take care of ourselves. It is funny how parents have a way of doing that!

Your dad's surgery is bringing back flashbacks :) I barely remember the hospital stay. I remember like sitting in a chair and just falling asleep and then thinking Brian was a wimp being sicka nd then feeling terrible when he ended up in the ER with a CT showing a swollen colon. Oops :)

Did they give him the breathing ball thing wher ehe blows in to raise them?

They did give my dad that thing. He did really bad with it the first day because it hurt so bad to take a deep breath without any pain meds. He used it all yesterday, but after the chest drain ordeal today, he was too scared. He said hed start again tommorow. I wont let him forget for a second how important it is. I know the more he does it... the speedier the recovery!

Jamie

Andrea,

Slight disagreement on the nix on visitors. I think Dad was being very honest when he said he was tired of entertaining... Case in point, my nurses put me in "lockdown" and wouldn't even let Mark visit one afternoon because I was so worn out and they wanted me to sleep - of course, I got a new roommate that day and it was SOOOO loud in the room with her kids (she was an older woman) and doctors, etc., that I DEMANDED to see my husband (he was at the hospital, just banned for two hours from my room) since I couldn't sleep ANYWAY. I got my way - LOL - I hadn't asked for much from them my entire stay, just drugs.. :roll:

See, I didn't have to "entertain" Mark. He sat at the head of the bed and just held my hand while I slept or talked or spent time somewhere between awake and asleep. Different then when there's "company" that needs to know the WHOLE story (and it really is hard to talk when adjusting to pain from drainage tubes, surgery, etc.) from start to finish, how you're doing, etc. Sounds like Dad is comfortable enough in his relationships to ask for a rest...

Take care,

Becky

PS - Can't anyone in that hospital find a roll of duct tape, for cryin' out loud? The man keeps losing his tubing! Geesh!

Jamie,

I bet your dad just needs to get some sleep. It's so tough to be in the hospital--i never really knew that because I'd never been hospitalized until the lung thing except one overnight for my breast surgery.

The beds are uncomfortable, chest tubes are uncomfortable, IV needles in the hand are uncomfortable, and then they come in to do a chest x-ray at 4am!!!!!

He's had some pain issues which are especially wearing on your body, so chances are after a good day of rest today and tonight, he'll be much better tomorrow.

Remember, the goal is to get him home so he can really rest and recuperate.

I just felt like I wished all of my company would leave after about an hour because that's all the attention span I had at the time and I wanted to sleep or at least not be entertaining.

I think you guys are right. I can understand why my dad needs some time. I dont feel bad in the least that he dosent want us to come... he never really was one for alot of attention or company.

Thanks for replying...AGAIN, I feel so dumb half of the time because im so unedjucated when it comes to all of this...

Becky, you know what? I was thinking the same thing about the duct tape! What the heck is gonna fall out next???

Jamie