Update on my Husband

renee_ky

Scott made the decision to restart chemo therapy, and radiation. The chemo is VP 16, he will take this orally for 21 days. The radiation also started immediately following his appointment with his oncologist on Thursday. They started radiation at 400 rads, the area being radiated is large enough to target the large mass in his left lung, and the small amount that has moved to the right side. The ribs are being radiated as well. On Tuesday, they will drop the strenght of the radiation, and he will continue radiation with a cycle of 14 days total.

The test results on Thursday were not as bad as we all expected. It was determined that the mass in the left lung has almost completely blocked the left bronchi, and has started moving to the right side. The mass in the rib area is small enough to control. The 2 spots on his liver arr still there, but has not increased. Other than that, no other growth was found. There is one spot in the T8 of spine that is questionable, but they are not concerned about it right now, because the radiation will also hit this spot.

He has pleuricy (sp?) in his left lung, as well as a little pneumonia. Per the Doc, the pneumonia is not from an infection.

They started him on an anti-dieuretic antibiotic because he is retaining fluid, and his sodium is low. His fluid intake has been limited to 1 & 1/2 quart daily. The doctor explained that this is due to a hormone that is created by the cancer, and the anti biotic will aide in reversing the effects of the hormone.

He gets around really good still, but I am not sure when it is best to call hospice. The oncologist and I discussed this, he suggested that I do not call hospice until he has said he that there is no longer anything he can do to help Scott.

For now, he will contimnue chemo and radiation. Though they call this "comfort care" and continue to tell us that there is no hope for survival, we will continue to pray for our miracle....

God bless you all and thank you VERY much for all of the prayers!

Renee

Scott made the decision to restart chemo therapy, and radiation. The chemo is VP 16, he will take this orally for 21 days. The radiation also started immediately following his appointment with his oncologist on Thursday. They started radiation at 400 rads, the area being radiated is large enough to target the large mass in his left lung, and the small amount that has moved to the right side. The ribs are being radiated as well. On Tuesday, they will drop the strenght of the radiation, and he will continue radiation with a cycle of 14 days total.

The test results on Thursday were not as bad as we all expected. It was determined that the mass in the left lung has almost completely blocked the left bronchi, and has started moving to the right side. The mass in the rib area is small enough to control. The 2 spots on his liver arr still there, but has not increased. Other than that, no other growth was found. There is one spot in the T8 of spine that is questionable, but they are not concerned about it right now, because the radiation will also hit this spot.

He has pleuricy (sp?) in his left lung, as well as a little pneumonia. Per the Doc, the pneumonia is not from an infection.

They started him on an anti-dieuretic antibiotic because he is retaining fluid, and his sodium is low. His fluid intake has been limited to 1 & 1/2 quart daily. The doctor explained that this is due to a hormone that is created by the cancer, and the anti biotic will aide in reversing the effects of the hormone.

He gets around really good still, but I am not sure when it is best to call hospice. The oncologist and I discussed this, he suggested that I do not call hospice until he has said he that there is no longer anything he can do to help Scott.

For now, he will contimnue chemo and radiation. Though they call this "comfort care" and continue to tell us that there is no hope for survival, we will continue to pray for our miracle....

God bless you all and thank you VERY much for all of the prayers!

Renee