7/6 Happy Birthday, Daddy-I remember

Debaroo

Happy birthday Daddy...

Thank you: some of the things that I will never forget:

For all of the times you held my talking view master viewer for me because my hands were too small to hold it myself-I remember.

For always being the one to clean me up when I was little, if I'd gotten sick-and NEVER complaining or getting mad-I remember.

For waking us up at 3 in the morning to leave for our road trip to Orlando, Fla. when we were supposed to leave at 8am-because YOU were too excited-I remember.

For rescuing me when I was in the pool, sitting in a tube that flipped over and I couldn't get out, so you jumped over the side of the pool to save me-I remember.

For sitting with me when I had to do alphabetizing homework in third grade, until I did all of the words right-I was the only kid with a perfect paper and the teacher asked me to help my classmates to understand how to do it-its the only homework assignment that I can remember having, even though I had so many more, but-I remember.

For running out of the house last year and grabbing a yard sign to take on your neighbors dog that came after me when I was trying to get to my car, even when you were sick, you would rescue me-I remember.

For driving me to work at KFC when I was 17 and unhappy and telling me how when you were younger you dreamed of being a pilot, but life had different plans for you...you told me that sometimes you find happiness when you thought you wanted something else-I remember.

For not being embarassed to have a daughter that shaved her head and wore black all the time, and for treating me the same as you always did, with love, because I was still the same little girl that you raised-I remember.

For calling me up practically every night to tell me what a kick you get out of your granddaughters, for calling just to laugh and talk about the cute things that they do-I remember.

For staying at the hospital until I was out of surgery and safely in recovery after my jet-ski accident, which I had on YOUR birthday, until 2 in the mornining-I remember.

For coming to pick me up after the car accident I had on fathers day, and not being mad at me, just grateful that I was OK, and even having a laugh about it "thanks for the fathers day gift, Deb :lol: "-I remember.

For walking me down the aisle and telling me in the limo how proud you were of me, and for being genuinly happy on that day and hanging out with my friends at the bar at the reception and just having fun-I remember.

For, at Darlenes wedding, whenever the video-ographer was filming you, saying "hey, Mauro, how are you doing!" EVERY TIME he went to film you, even when he asked you to say a message to the bride and groom,

because he was a friend of yours and moms, we laugh EVERY TIME we watch her wedding video-I remember.

For truly loving and enjoying your grandchildren and every moment that you spent with them and even just the moments you would TALK about them-I remember.

For having the curiosity and enthusiasm of a child when you were being told about the gamma knife, and even during the procedure-I remember.

For really, truly, genuinely, having such faith that no matter what happens, you would be "alright" from the moment of your diagnosis. Even when treatment failed, and you were getting sicker and sicker, you STILL believed that a miracle could happen-and if it didn't you STILL felt that you would be alright because you would be with your friends, God and Jesus...I remember.

Its so strange, I do have so many memories, but when I think about how you were my father for 35 years-I feel like I don't have enough...why? Why is that? Why do the memories seem to be of moments and events and not just the daily things that happened? Why is there just not enough memories? You were my father for 35 years, and I feel like I should remember so much more-I remember too much to type, yet for thirty-five years worth of knowing you, there aren't enough...

But I am the person I am because of you, because of the lessons you taught me-"The time has come, for closing books and long last looks must end. And as I leave, I know that I am leaving my best friend...a friend who taught me right from wrong and weak from strong, thats alot to learn-what? What can I give him in return........But how do you thank someone who has taken you from crayons to perfume, it isn't easy but I'll try---" To Sir, With Love.

I remember. Deb

Debbie, that was amazingly beautiful. Sitting here with tears down my face at work. Colleagues think I am crazy, for sure.

The love you shared with your Dad shines through in your beautiful words. The memories are yours forever. No-one and nothing can take them away. They are for keeps. Not much in life is, so continue to treasure them as you do.

with love

Jana

xxxxx

That is a perfectly beautiful, wonderful tribute, Deb. I'm so sorry you lost him and glad you have so many beautiful memories. No, there aren't enough of them, but there never would be no matter how many years we have together.

I know your Dad is still very proud of you. He remembers.

Gloria

Deb

I too am sitting here with tears in my eyes. I can say it no more eloquently than the others. It is a wonderful tribute to your very special Dad and the memories are yours to keep forever. I know your Dad was very proud of you too, his special daughter. The deep love and bond the two of you shared shines through this tribute. I hope you let your Mom see it as well. I know it would mean a lot to her.

Thinking of you.

Gail P-M

Deb,

I couldn't read it all - it's too soon for me. Tonight, I started thinking about memories and it was just too much for me. I read the first 3-4 lines and your closing paragraph. I'm sure the rest is beautiful. Everything you write is beautiful. I'm sorry we lost our dads and maybe later I can better handle talking about memories. I'll come back and read this later. I promise. I did want you to know, though, that I feel your loss and I am so sorry. I'm thinking about and praying for you and everyone who has lost a loved one tonight. It hurts real bad.

Love,

Peggy

Deb -

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories with us! I really needed it since I have been missing my dad so much the past few weeks. It was bittersweet for Father's Day -- his headstone came in the day before. You made me remember more of the good things than bad! Sometimes it's so hard to remember all the good things when you see them so ill and in pain. Some of your memories did make me laugh and think of funny memories I had as well. I'm sure your dad is so proud of you and the wonderful tribute for his bday! Keep sharing your stories -- it helps us all heal a little at a time. I keep wondering when the pain "gets better"? People say that time heals, but I'm still numb and the loss doesn't seem real sometimes.

(I'm trying to picture you with the shaved head!! :lol::lol: )

Deb,

As promised, I came back and read your post tonight. It truly was beautiful and such a wonderful way to honor your father. I miss my dad, too. He was the only one I went to and cried when my husband was diagnosed. He shed some tears, too, patted my hand and said, "Think positive, baby, think positive. - I remember.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful wall of thank you's to your dad.

Love,

Peggy

Deb,

While I have visited here many times, I have yet to post. Your loving tribute to your Dad inspired me to respond. I lost my Dad Oct. 14, 2003 of lung cancer with mets to his brain. Even though I was fortunate to have my Dad for 44 years I am still trying to cope with his loss. I, like you, do have so many fond memories of Dad but it never seems like enough. I miss him everyday and the heartache I feel is overwhelming. I come here often for comfort and have found so many caring and loving people that post. Your words are an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing. I can totally relate. God Bless!

Jean

Guest KellyB

Deb,I can barely see thru my tears to post. My Dad has only been gone several weeks, he was just like your Dad. The memories you have cannot be measured in quantity, instead those memories are measured by WHO you are. You are the product of a wonderful, kind father. That gets me thru everyday, the love, the enormous love of my Daddy. I wrote a similar tribute to my Dad in the wall of memory. Be Well. The memories are a precious gift. Kelly B