New to board - Mom has Extensive SCLC

Hi all,

I have been lurking around this board for quite a while now. I finally decided to join and share my story. You all are such an inspiration and give me hope in fighting this ugly disease. My mother is 61 and has smoked my entire life (33 years). She was diagnosed with extensive SCLC on March. She is a true fighter. She is concentrating all of her energy on beating this thing. As you all know, you take it one day at a time and you learn as you go along. She is currently having her third round of Chemo and is in the middle of 10 days for radiation to her chest. She usually does pretty good on the Chemo, but the radiation takes a toll on her. She quit working (on S/T disability from her job) in April because she just doesn't have the energy to do it anymore.

On top of the situation with my mother. My father has been battling short term memory problems for the past 3 years (62 years old). My mother has been the primary care giver, so that is added stress. We finally got my father into a day program, to give my mom a break from him. We were totally focused on my father until mom got sick. Now we are spending all of our energy on her.

Anyway, I just wanted to post my story. I feel like I already know a lot of you and are a wonderful bunch. I hate that we have to meet under these circumstances.

Daughter of Gerri,

Hello and welcome. true, sorry to meet like this but we are all fighters here and there is o better place to be.

My mom is 62 and was just diag. in Feb 03. She is NSC and has mets to her brain. She finished 14 full head Rad's and were on the wait train for another MRI to see if it worked. She will have her 5th chemo on 6/11 and she has responded well to that. It will be known how well she is taking to it when we have the next PET scan 3-4 weeks after chemo.

This is a worst rollercoaster ride you'll ever be on but were here to get you through it.

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry we had to meet this way, but I am glad you found this board. Lots of wonderful people. My mom had nsc and she is stage 4 with mets to skin, liver, and kidney. She was dx in December and doing quite well. Its hard sometimes, but you just keep plugging along one day at a time. Like Katie said, research this disease, and get your mom all the help you can muster. There are SURVIVORS!!! Your mom can be one of them. Just keep her spirits up, nutrition, hydration, and rest. Keep us posted.

Rana

Hi, Jennifer! Welcome to this great family of people here. Sorry about your mom, and your dad. Please feel free to ask the questions and vent the feelings. That is what this place is for. You, as you have seen, will get a lot of support and hope. Blessings. Don

Thank you everyone for your support. I have researched this disease extensively. I think that is they key, that way there are no surprises. I have a wonderful support system. Lots of friends and family offering to help, so I don't have to do this alone. My brother just moved back to town and has helped out a lot. I don't feel that I have to do everything by myself any more. I go to all of my mom's doctors appointments. I'm still not good at asking all the right questions, but I don't feel like I'm in the dark.

I love this board because it also gives me more support and I don't feel like I'm the only one going through this. Thanks again.

Jennifer,

Sorry you have to be here, but you have met wonderful and supportive people here. My mom was diagnosed with NSC in March 2003 with mets to her lymph nodes. She has completed 33 daily radiation treatments and 4 chemo treatments. The initial CT scans show over a 50 percent shrinkage. The point is to keep hope and a fighting attitude. My mom has both and sounds like your mom...determined to beat this demon. I don't read any statistics, I just research information, so I know what questions to ask. God is the only one who knows how much time we have on earth, so I won't let any doctor tell me otherwise. Keep up the fight. Welcome to the loving group here. You can get some much needed support here.

Jennifer,

Again..so sorry about your mothers diganosis. But we are here for you...so keep coming back to us.

My 45 year old mother was just diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC and my grandmother had SCLC (61 years old). Mom has been through one round of chemo so far and the second is on Monday. Shes young (just like your mom!!) and she's a fighter.

What we have learned in these two very long months is that (in the words of my brave dad) "Where there is life..there is hope"

Stay with us here...and please keep updated on what is going on with your mom

I will add you and your family to my prayers.

Laura

Jennifer:

Just wanted to say welcome and let you know that the two of us have alot in common. I am 34, my dad was just diagnosed with extensive small cell in May and just finished second round of chemo. He has mets to liver and hip. So far, so good, keeping my fingers crossed. I also have a younger sister(29) whose name is you guessed it Jennifer. I am the oldest and as such am the one who has to be the liason among alot of people, my parents have been seperated since I was 3, but still see each other, even though dad has a girlfriend(go figure). We are taking this one day at a time like you said and yes, this board is a God send. If you like send me an email at Kelleyu@comcast.net. Where are you from and where is your mom being treated. My dad is from Philly and is being treated at Hospital of the University of Penn. They said no for radiation with extensive and was wondering your mom's doctor's rationale. Write back and hang in there.

I'm glad you found this board it is so supportive. Your Mom's diagnosis is much the same as my husband's. He has just finished 8 rounds of chemo and might have more. He is doing very well. He has started to put on weight and his lung tumor is only 3/4 centimeter (after 6 rounds) and his liver spots are smaller and fewer in number and his back doesn't even hurt right now (that is where his bone mets are.) This stuff is really responsive to chemo. That at least is something to be grateful for. Keep coming here, its a huge help and WELCOME

Candy,

Glad to hear your husband has responded so well to the treatments. His case certainly sounds idential to my mothers. The cancer in her spine is on the first vertibre and they zapped 10 days with radiation, and her back is no longer bothering her. I'm hoping the Chemo is doing it's job as well. We did have additional C/T scans done last Friday 5/30, because she has blood in her sputum. Haven't compared them to the originally scans, but maybe we'll know something at our next onc. appointment. But I'm not really concerned because we are doing everything we can to try and beat this thing.

Hope you husband keeps fighting this battle and wins. It sounds like he's on the right path. Take care!

Jennifer, Like the others, I too am sorry that you have need of this board. It WILL help you. I have a tiny suggestion that helped me alot. Take a mini-cassette recorder with you to all doctor appointments and record everything he/she says. It's amazing how much we can filter information! It's good to be able to listen to the exact words again.

It's terrific that you have the support of family and friends. This place, tho, has the people that have walked your steps, or are walking them now. It's always good to talk over concerns with those who have been there, done that.

Remember: The power of positive thinking can change your life! JudyB

Jennifer,

I think you said it well "I'm sorry we have to meet under these circumstances". But welcome.

My husband was diagnosed in March with SCLC, which was changed in April to Atypical Carcinoid. He has mets to his lymph nodes throughout his chest and neck. He also has 4 mets on his liver.

You will find that the people here are the best anywhere, and full of knowledge, support, and love. We are here for whatever you need, whenever you need it. If there is ever anything I can do to help, I am just a keyboard away.

Until then, I am praying for you and mom

Carleen