Cheryl's 2nd surgery (Tues.7-6) uodated (Thurs.7-8)

-Cheryl-

Had a little time and thought I would fill you in on what it was that Cheryl had done.

Cheryl was feeling very lethargic and was laboring with breathing. She went in to see the Onc and he admitted her after reviewing the CT scan. Turns out she had a large paracardial effusion (fluid around the lining of the heart) and a plueral effusion (fluid around the linng of the lungs. The procedure Fri. drained the fluid from the paracardial area and the procedure Tues. was called "installing a window" in the lining of the heart. They do this by basically cutting a hole in the top of the heart lining and leaving it like that permenantly. This way, if the lining fills up again, it will hit the overflow and be absorbed back into the body. They extracted over 700 CCs of fluid from the paracardial, which is a large amount. Since they can't use paracardial fluid for a GVAX sample, the fluid was useless. However, they can use the plueral effusion fluid... only problem here, she did not have enough. They need 600 CCs to get a complete sample. Cheryl had no where near that. The surgeon elected to leave the existing fluid in the lining of the lung thinking if it got to a dangerous point he could extract it and use it then. I like the way our surgeon (Dr. Harry Kourlis) has approached this.

Looks like there will be an Oncologist who gets fired in Dallas, Texas... Dr. Claude Denham will be fired as soon as I can get him face to face... We found out that there has been a spot on Cheryls kidney that has been there for over 3 months. For some reason, our oncologist decided not to tell us even thogh every time the CTs were reviewed, Cheryl has asked him if there was any other spots outside the Lung... his answer everytime was, No. Even as late as last Fri. I feel that knowing this information then, We would have probably seeked some sort of intervention at that point. For some reason, We were kept uninformed. I will also seek Counsel. *ss whippin' aint completely out of the question either.

Cheryl is feeling a lot better and hopefully she will come home in the next couple of days. She has another chest tube to deal with...you know how awful that is. Hope you understood my explanation of her surgeries... a few of you had inquired and I thought i'd try to anyway. Thanks again for all of your support. -Jack-

Jack, thanks so much for the update. You and Cheryl have been in my prayers and will continue to be. Can't understand the logic behind the gvax rules but that is the FDA for you. Let us know how you both are doing. It sounds like you have a wonderful doc.

Nina

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Glad to hear from you. I was wondering about Cheryl. I don't understand the GVAX logic either. I'm offering prayers that Cheryl will feel the minimal of discomfort and the spot on her kidney is benign.

Cat

Jack,

Thanks for the update and yes, your non med explanation was just perfect for us non med people.

Tell Cheryl, that there are a lot of people thinking and praying for her. I, too, have had some problems with our onc, but I will not do anything right now. I do not want to work with him in an adversarial situation.

Take care of yourself too Jack, Cheryl needs you.

Thanks so much for letting us know how it's going Jack. Now, keep your temper with the oncologist...you're not gonna do Cheryl any good if she's got to bail you outta jail! You guys hang in there...

Rochelle

Jack. Thanks for keeping us updated on Cheryl's condition. I would say your Onc has some explaining to do also. But... as others have said, maybe it is just a cyst - here's praying for that news. Glad to hear Cheryl is feeling better and will be home soon. Jack rest up and take care of yourself also.

Jack,

Thanks for the update on Cheryl. REMEMBER to take care of yourself, watch that STRESS level - no more heart attacks!! BREATHE....

Here's hoping "Spot" ain't nothin' but a spot and the rest of your updates are good news!

Becky

I just wanted to add to Jack's post, if he doesn't mind. I did talk with Cheryl a day ago and she did comfirm that the spot on her kidney IS cancer. She was very upset and confused to why that doctor never told her that this tumor was there, let alone being cancer. She was not and is not happy about it. Nor are we!

Love to Cheryl and Jack,

Sending prayers to give you both strength to continue this battle.

Hugs,

Con

Dear Jack,

Sorry to hear that the kidney spot IS cancer -- but hope that they are going to attack it aggressively and get rid of it. I've know several people who have had that and who are just fine now.

And I hope that Cheryl is improving steadily and getting ready to come home soon. Keep your own spirits up and keep out of trouble despite that vexacious onc -- she needs you!

We're sending up all the best vibes we can for Cheryl.

Ellen

Jack,

Thank you for the update on Cheryl. I am angry for you both at that onc. that did not tell you about the cancerous spot on her kidney, and for 3 MONTHS??? Why they didn't think they should mention it to you or start some sort of treatment is beyond me....

Also, did the doctor say whether or not the pleural effusion had tumor cells in it? If it doesn't, then they can't use it for the GVAX. On the other hand, it would be good news if it comes back clean.

Hope Cheryl continues to feel better with each day and is home soon. I can sympathize with her having the chest tube. Let me know if y'all have any questions on that front, I'd be happy to help with anything that I can, having been there, done that.

TAnn