Leg Bone Mets

Ven

With leg bone mets, would it be better to elevate the leg?

Would movement (as best as possible) be better than just sitting for hours? Seems the other leg "forgets" what to do when they aren't moved for long periods.

Saw the dr. just yesterday and he wrote a presciption for a wheel chair after we suggested it. Patient has been using a walker for two weeks now.

There is tremendous pain with movement, just had 6th radiation treatment on right leg yesterday. We are trying to deal with all this on our own and I just don't know what's the right thing to do.

So, just wondering what anyone else might have been told with similar problems. I'm going to try to get some information out of the nurse today.

Thanks.

Lucie has a large bone met on her right fibula, but it was never painful. She has had radiation on bone areas where it was painful and the radiation helped a lot. Hopefully, that will be the case for you. How about pain medication? Best to you. Don

Don, I knew either you or Margaret (& Hollywood) would be the first to answer me. Thanks.

Yes, taking Percocet for a couple weeks now and just started Morphine (every 8 hrs) yesterday.

It is just that we don't know if that leg should be exercised as much as possible or let rest, elevated or what. Tumor is in the right thigh bone and there is another in the "soft tissue" on the other leg.

I'm glad radiation helped Lucie, hope it starts to work in this case soon.

Ven,

My husband has bone mets, very painful too. Not in his legs, but in spine, hip, shoulder, ribs. The radiation should start helping real soon. It really does!! Also you might see if you can get celebrex for it also. It helps with the pain and inflamation. We had to get the Dr to argue with insurance co. because they say "Its for arthritis, not cancer" and so finally they did approve it. I would not move the leg unless you need to until the radiation has done its thing. Then when the pain is gone, it will be time to get a little movement going so you don't get all stiff and stoved up. Hope this helps! Take care,

Tess

Thanks for the replies Tess & Don,

Talked with the doctor and he said to move it around as much as possible.

Pain was extreme two days ago, not quite so bad yesterday and then today a little better yet. Tonight it is worse again.

Just hope the radiation kicks in soon.

Thanks, My Best to You & Yours.

Ven,

My mother is in the hospital with a broken fibula. It was horrible. We were trying to get her from the car to the wheelchair after her oncologist visit. I had know idea we were moving her around on such weak bones. They said the fibula in her other leg is in jeopardy to break. We opted not to have surgery as she had 60% chance of coming off the table. She barely knows who we are with all the morphine and is going to be moved to the skilled nursing floor today. My heart is breaking.

All I want to say is be so careful in moving your loved one on these weak bones. I dont know what the answer is :( but thinking of you all...

Gayle