Lucie's Choice

Don Wood

We met with the med onc today. Our daughter went with us. He showed us the PET scans and you could see the new spots in the right lung, lymph nodes near the lungs and lower right rib near the liver.

Lucie has had some discomfort in the rib area, especially when in a hardback chair. The onc said that she could start radiation treatment on that area right away if she wished, to alleviate the pain. Lucie said that the discomfort was manageable right now and she didn't want to do radiation and chemo at the same time. So she put that on hold and said she would opt for that if and when the pain got bad enough.

The onc offered chemo, Navelbine (or Gemzar as a backup) that would be taken once a week for 2-3 weeks and then off a week. The IV takes about an hour. He said it would be milder with less side effects than the carboplatin/taxotere treatment she initially got. She opted to start the treatment next Thursday. Would appreciate any comments from those who have experienced Navelbine or Gemzar as to side effects and effectiveness.

We are hopeful with this treatment although it is one more thing Lucie has to endure. We appreciate your continued support.

My daughter couldn't have lunch with us afterwards, but we three went for a soft drink and snacks at a nearby restaurant. Was a good break. Don

Don,

Gemzar/navelbine was much, much kinder to my husband than taxotere/caroplatin. Other than fatigue, he really had no problems. He didn't have the no taste, severe fatigue, low blood pressure or anything like that. Oh, he did have borderline blood counts twice and got shots of An??? Anisar, oh, heck, I can't remember - it's similar to Procrit, but costs even more. :lol:

Peggy

Don & Lucie,

Although I have no advice, I just wanted to wish you guys the best. Although the new spots are a minor setback, Im sure you guys will overcome this... as you have everything else.

Good luck and best wishes

Jamie

Don, Sorry things are not better. Daddy had Gemzar and he was really fine through all the treatments... lost his hair but that was it. No fatigue, no vomiting NOTHING. He had to postpone one treatment due to a low white count but that was it.... Hopefully Lucy will have the same results. I am praying for her.

Don and Lucie,

My prayers for both of you and that wonderful daughter of yours. Lucie is a strong woman and I am hoping that she holds up well through her treatments. I know nothing about those drugs so I cant help you there.

God Bless You All,

Jane

Don,

:(:(:( I'm sorry you and Lucie have to continue dealing with this horrible disease. Both of you stay strong and fight. I had Gemzar and there are very few side effects. I did not lose my hair with it.

Prayers are with you both!

CathyR

Don and Lucie,

My husband had a bad reaction to Gemzar and Navelbine. He had nausea, bone pain, edema, and his blood counts went down bad. He never had this with the taxotere, carbo combo. I hope she does better than he did. Prayers going up for you both. I am so sorry she has to go thru this again, just like Rob. Their stories are a lot alike. God Bless and take care.

Tess

Hi Don,

My dad has received 2 cycles of Gemzar and Navelbine. He gets chemo once every 2 weeks and then off a week. He is now getting his scans to see if the Gemzar and Navelbine are working. He definitely doesn't have as much bone and joint pain as what he had with the Carboplatin/Taxol treatments. His blood counts are low and he is very fatigued. He has been receiving Procrit shots. It is hard for me to tell for sure but I do believe Gemzar and Navelbine is not quite as hard on him as the Carboplatin/Taxol.

I am praying with all my heart that this chemo works for my dad. I will keep Lucie in my prayers also. I hope this is what works for her.

Glad to hear you had a nice visit with your daughter after the appointment. There is nothing better in life then spending time with your family!

Diane

Dear Don and Lucie,

I myself have never had Gemzar or Navelbine, but I have heard it's not as harsh a chemo as most of the others are. But, you know how everyone is different. I will pray it does the magical trick. I'm sorry to hear this news, but I am glad she is willing to fight on. God Bless you Lucie. Hang in here, both of you!

Love & Hugs,

Connie B

Don,

My husband had Navalbine and the side effects

were so slight that it was very easy and it did a lot of good,

it stopped the cancer for many months.

Good luck for Lucie with the treatments and keep up

the good fight.

Hugs

J.C.

Dear Don,

So saddened by this news. You and Lucie are always in my prayers and I hope for a good outcome after the chemo and radiation. As long as Lucie can tolerate the pain, delaying radiation may be best. From Sam's experience in '02 and some people here, the combo are tough.

May God Bless Us All.

Sam'swifeShirley

I just completed eight cycles of Gemzar and, for the most part, the side effects were pretty slight (nothing like Carbo/Taxol). I did develop a rash on my head and chest and had hairing thinning. Most discomfort was near the end of the treatment. My blood counts did go down and, on occasion, the doctor reduced the chemo, but I never had to skip.

My very best wishes that this chemo works on the disease and is gentle on the person. You'll both be in my prayers, as always.

Blessings,

Margaret

Don,

I am so sorry I am a day late in seeing this post and missed an extra prayer for Lucie last night. I will double up tonight I promise.

Try to keep Lucie's spirits up, I am sure this was tough for her. And take care of yourself, I certainly know how hard this is on the caregiver.

Hope is one of my favorite four letter words.