Acid reflux/indigestion?

ljdub

I feel like a complete whiner asking about this when so many are dealing with so many more serious issues, but I want to know if sudden onset of extreme indigestion problems is common after surgery, and/or after beginning chemo and radiation treatments. It's been getting steadily worse and today had me doubled over occasionally - it's lasted all weekend. I'm already taking a Prilosec in the morning and gaviscon or anything that might help, but it never really goes away. I never had this at all prior to starting treatment for lc. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Hi

Indigestion pain was one of the more obvious side-effects that my mum had during chemo. Bloating and heartburn. Always good to discuss these things with your doctor, of course!!

Hope the discomfort subsides quickly. I think Mum's was bad for the first few days after the cisplatin, and then resolved.

All the best.

Karen

I now have the acid reflx. I had chemo and radiation and then surgery. This developed after my surgery so I can't say for sure which caused it. I understand this is normal to develop. I take aciphex which my Dr prescribed. I hope this helps to answer your question. :)

I started having acid with my first chemo, and by the end of 6 rounds I had constant acid indigestion. However insurance doesn't pay for good medications, so I went 2 months with only OTC and lots of milk. Finally my complaints got through and they had it checked out, turns out I developed an ulcer from the chemo. Another one of those side effects they don't mention. LOL! Fight for the Nexium, it's the best!

I have acid reflux now too for the first time in my life. I think I read somewhere it is a side effect from surgery--with lobes missing, things shift, etc. Mine is what I would consider to be very very minor, it only flares up at night if i eat too close to bedtime. I manage it without medicine, but I would contact my doctor if you're severely bothered by it. There are some fantastic medications out for that now.....good luck.

I really can't contribute to what might be causing your pain. One thing I do know is that, believe it or not, Prilosec can cause pancreatitis. My son has had pancreatitis and was also taking Prilosec. The doctor looked it up and, sure enough, pancreatitis. The give-away symptom for pancreatitis is the pain radiating from the abdomen around to your side and into your back. If you have this side pain and back pain, I would stop the Prilosec. As soon as he stopped the Prilosec, the pain went away in a couple of days. I know you talked about "indigestion" which is something quite different, but since you said you were doubling over from the pain, I thought I'd let you know about this.

I hope it gets better soon.

Love,

Peggy

You're sort of "right on schedule" w/ the acid reflux problem. I had carbo and taxol and this is just about the point that I started having trouble. My doctor gave me a prescription for Nexium. Blue Cross Blue Shield isn't thrilled about paying for it but, they are doing it just a little bit of hassle. My last chemo treatment was Nov. 18, 03 and I'm still having trouble. Anything spicy or greasy makes it worse. I found that sleeping in a recliner helped some. Good luck. It is really miserable.

Muriel K

My husband had the same bad reaction to chemo. I also think that Vioxx contributed. He switched to celebrex. He got better. We also got prescription pepcid and it took the indigestion away completely. Make sure you always have a little something in your stomach. It helps. Good luck, and hope you feel better soon. :)

Tess