Update on Lucie

Don Wood

The general category is so vast that I thought I would post here. Lucie has been having severe pain in her lower right hip. This is a new place so we have been concerned. A visit to the neurologist revealed it might be a pinched nerve from her compensating for the bone met on the left. The left hip met has been treated successfully with radiation and chemo. Anyway, the neurologist recommended a muscle relaxant and physical therapy. We paid a visit to the physical therapist and are waiting for a schedule to set up. The neurologist also recommended an MRI of the lower spine, which showed nothing.

The oncologist ordered right hip and total bone scans which were inconclusive. So he ordered an NRI of the sacro-ilial area on the right side which was done today. He called back this evening and said there is a lesion on the bottom of the right hip. He said this could well be the source of her pain and recommended radiation on the spot. We will follow through with that.

So the bad news is Lucie has another met. The good news is we have an explanation for the pain and a way of alleviate it. We will see the oncologist next week about Zometa/Iressa program as well. We are still optimistic, since the radiation and chemo seem to have taken care of the original five bone mets.

We decideed to go out to dinner tonight and enjoy ourselves and to have a great weekend. Don

Don, I'm sorry for this latest development, but you have the right perspective. The radiation worked before, and will work again. I will keep Lucy and you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you had a nice dinner, and have a great weekend. You are both such a great example of what I want my marriage to be, the support and love...sharing and ENJOYING one another!!! That's what it's all about. Have a great weekend! Take care, deb

Don,

Thanks for the update about Lucie. What a beautiful couple you are. I pray for the people on this board every night. I also remember all the people praying for my father and actually take the time to concentrate on the power of all those prayers going up. Your strength is an inspiration.

:)

Don and Lucie,

I hope you had a fun and delicious dinner last night.

You seem to have very thorough drs. and of that you should be thankful. I hear such alarming stories about drs on this site. We have been very fortuante that we have had caring, optimistic, smart doctors.

Prayers heading up to ask that this just be one silly little bump and that the rad will take care of it quickly.

Don,

I am so sorry to hear about the new met on Lucie's hip. Bad news to any of our family here touches us all, and I just hate it. I truly wish we could get to a point where the "Good news" forum was so full that we had to archive it daily.

I do think that it is such a good sign that the radiation worked on her other 5 bone mets. I truly believe that the radiation will destroy this new met too.

Hope you had a wonderful dinner. I'm praying for you both, every day.

Carleen

Thanks to all of you for your love and support. It is much felt. We did have a good dinner together -- she had pizza and I had ziti. We are going to meet my daughter tonight for another dinner out. I just try to get her out as much as I can because it is physically good and also emotionally good. Take care, my good friends. Don

Dear Don and Lucie,

I to wish to send you my thoughts and prayers. I am sooo sorry to hear the bad news. We always HATE that BAD news!! But, I do hope you had a wonderful time out for dinner. Will be praying for GOOD NEWS for you both next week at the Doctor.

Warm and Gentle Hugs to you Both,

Don and Lucie

A pox on the bad news!!! :evil: But you two are totally amazing in the strength and wisdom you show when confronting this disease. I pray for you both and want you to know what an inspiration you both are for the rest of us. Keep on "steppin' out!"

Sorry to hear about Lucie's new met, but she will overcome this as she has in the past. With such a wonderful and caring husband and all the folks on the boards praying and keeping their fingers and toes crossed...how can anything bad happen???

Annie

Thanks, everyone. I had to take Lucie to the regular doctor this morning because she is swelling up like a balloon, and it has been almost 4 weeks since the last chemo treatment. He put her in a strong diuretic,with potassium pills, of course. Time will tell. It has made it difficult to get on clothes and to bend the knees and arms. I keep wondering when all this extraneous stuff is going to stop.

We also went to the radiation onc and got her marked. She starts radiation tomorrow, for about 14 sessions on her sacrum near the lower right hip. We could see the lesion on the scans. Lucie has made up a schedule for friends at church to sign up on to take her, so I don't have to go every day. We already have this week covered.

After the radiation is complete, she will start physical therapy on her neck and lower back. That should help her stiffness.

We see the main onc Thursday for what to do next on maintenance.

When we got home from the radiologist, one of the two dogs had messed all over her pen. I just lost it then, because it was like the last straw. Unfortunatley, I upset Lucie and she felt responsible putting so much on me. A neighbor came over and talked with her and visited, which helped a lot. We did get to go out to dinner and she did fine.

I feel bad about spounting off in front of her and I have tried to keep that to a minimum, because I know she feels guilty enough already. I have tried to reassure her that I have to spount off now and then to keep my sanity. I told her that I loved her very very much and what hurts me is her hurting and not able to do what she wants. It is like a prison for us both. I know we will get through this, and I know we have a lot of love and support. It just hurts so damn bad. Thanks for listening, folks. Don

Hi Don,

I understand how frustrating this is. I want to make this better for my husband but "I" cannot do it. It is not in my hands. What I can do is make him happy, lift his spirits, take care of him, arrange his appointments and get him to them, etc. I too take the help from the family as it is exhausting going back and forth plus working, cooking, cleaning, shopping, doing the banking and bill paying, taking care of my dogs, and taking care of my husband. I am only one person and I just get so tired and so flustered at times and I too try to hold it in but at times I just yell as I get SOOOOOOOO upset. We need to let it out at times. Deep breathing has helped me SOOOO much.

I am glad to read you are taking your wife out to dinner - that is so nice. My husband and I did lots of things together - we were supposed to go to Cedar Point, it is an amusement park here in Ohio. Well that is on hold as Bob was admitted Sunday morning and is now on oxygen and aspirin for a small blockage in his heart and he was DX w/dysphahia and if it were not for the dysphagia he could come home but since he cannot drink ANY liquid - he needs an IV. I am unsure of the treatment at this time... :(

Hang in there,