Optimistic

stand4hope

There's a lot of sad news on the board this week, so I wanted to counter with a little bit of encouraging news to maybe help give hope to anyone that might need it at this time.

My husband was diagnosed almost a year ago (August 7, 2003). His cancer was quite advanced at that time, and even with all the bombardment of treatments, the cancer was winning and has progressed even further, particularly including a very troubling pericardial effusion. Iressa was started 4+ weeks ago. I don't ask him very often how he's feeling because he gets irritated with the question.

The encouraging news is this. I asked him this morning if there had been any return of the shoulder pain. He said it is totally gone. I asked about the other bone pain and he said "none". He then added that this is the best he has felt since this whole thing began. Other than a little fatigue (it's more of an endurance thing) and a fairly mild Iressa rash, he feels great. He looks great too, a little thin, but otherwise, he looks really good. He rode his motorcyle for three hours early this morning (it's too muggy to ride for long), and now he is outside washing his truck.

I think this is a miracle. I attribute this to his previous good health, his positive attitude, his continued efforts to work, his insistence to not "think about it", his dietary choices, Zometa, Iressa, prayer, and to God. He gets a chest CT scan this week and we get results on Friday. I do know and understand that this could change with the blink of an eye, but I choose to remain optimistic and continue to "Praise God from whom all blessings flow."

My love to everyone,

Peggy

Peggy,

This is great. There has been so much sadness and even though I CAN think of good news we had this week, it seems sometimes too easy to only remember the bad. Rough morning here, so I welcome your post.

Iressa can work for years. That's a lot of time for them to find other stuff.

I love you lots

elaine

Ah, Peggy -

Great! The pain gone is so wonderful. It's so hard to watch them in pain that just doesn't let up and it's sad when the only antidotes to the pain seem to make the patient so groggy that the quality of life goes way down. So glad he's able to ride the bike and enjoy the outdoors! Treasure every precious day. Our days are numbered for all of us -- we just don't know the number -- thank goodness!

Glad you and your husband are enjoying the day!

Gloria

Peggy,

So glad your hubby is allowed to DRIVE and enjoy his bike - even if he can't take as long of a ride as he would have a few years ago.

Stable and hangin' on is GREAT! Here's hoping the cancer takes a giant step (or fifty, or a hundred...) back to NED!

xxoo,

Becky

Dear Peggy,

What a wonderful post. I am so happy about your husbands determination and you seeing such a big difference in him. Onward we go!! Bless you Peggy and your wonderful husband and your son that you were raffeling off,, LOL Glory to God and stay with this family and help them through this. I love You Peggy.

God Bless You All,

Jane

Oh Peggy, your post just made my day. Knowing that your husband has gone through much of the same tx as my husband - and to hear he is doing so well! I'm so happy for you both and want to thank you for the hope you are giving me. Continued good health and strength to you both.

Dear Peggy,

How happy you must be. I will pray very hard that this is a harbinger of the good news to come from the scans.

That Iressa it like the little girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead. For when she was good, she was very very good but when she was bad she was horrid.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

WOW! :D

Fantastic. He has ten times the energy than I do. Good for him! Great hearing the news. Thanks Peggy. :D

Cat