Question about Mom

My mom was diagnosed 6/15 with NSCLC stage IV, she started a clinical trial 06/24. She has done 2 sessions of chemo, had a blood test this week (No chemo session this week) and her platelets came back low- 17 which I presume to be 17,000 if normal count is between 150,000-450,000. She is 48 yrs old, and was told that she could not continue chemo if her platelets do not come up into normal range. Is this a common occurence with chemo patients?

Thanks

yes. It is routine to check lab work because of it's affect on blood,the white cell, the red cells and the platelets. Sometimes they give a couple of units of platelets, or blood or shots to boost wbc's. Donna G

Guest bbypookins

Kathleen-

They were amazed at how low my mom's blood counts got during her first chemo combo. She continuted on it, however they had to postpone a number of treatments so they could give her transfusions instead. Each week it was a different problem: white cells, red cells, platelets. Everybody is different, but they said a very low percentage have as much of a problem as she did. I wouldn't think they would stop you mom's chemo altogether, just alternate it with transfusions.

Kim

Ok so the doctor (oncologist) said that the ct scan results didn't indicate a stroke, despite what the ER doctors thought.. We have not seen a doctor today (just spoken to via phone). She was discharged from the ER.. Right now it has been 24 hours since she recieved any medicine from the er doctors (Ativan and morphine shots). Her onc. told us to not give her any more OC's todau, just refresh her pain patch... Now she is sitting up, her whole left side is weak, all symptoms seem like a stroke, shes awake but won't open her eyes. slurs when talking.. She looks like the drunkest drunk person I have ever seen...

My dad called 911 last night because she passed out (didn't stop breathing) He panicked, I guess because this is new to him.. But she just had a really strong chemo dose wed 7/14, Can this be the reason she passed out Last night? I'm not sure her going to the ER was the best thing for her.. They used a "rapid detox" drug thinking she was overdosed I guess... Any ideas? I'm sure I could provide more info here but I am not sure what..

Thanks everyone.

Kathleen,

Does she drink alot of water before, during and after chemo? It is VERY, VERY important. Once when my mom was dehydrated she had alot of those same symptoms.

Hoping your mom improves.

faylene

Kathleen, My Husband is going through that now with his platelets, he has not been able to get his chemo now over 4 weeks. They did start to go back up last week 90,000 now they are down to 50,000 again (Without Chemo)

They were planning to start him on a new drug Topitican today but have to wait till his counts get up to 100,000 again.

Dr. said it is pretty common after a lot of rounds of chemo.

Rosemary

So all this recent activity is to blame on cancer in the brain.. bummer. They took her off her clinical trial... Radiation this week, wonder what that will be like.. She had me shave her head this weekend, looks better than the patches that were there.. I wish there was something I could do about her confusion.. Thank goodness I have a big family and there is always someone there to watch her. Since the cancer is now in her brain what does that mean .. I know things are different with everyone, I just need some idea..