Energy

RAY A

I went to my Onoc Friday for my check up and also start my next cycle of Chemo. I have been on decadron (sp?) since I started chemo. The only reason I was doing the decadron was so I could function and have energy. I know that it is not good to take it long term due to the side effects from it. For me it’s gaining a lot of weight and being pissed all the time. But it also has other long term side effects and I didn’t want to have other problems just to have energy. So I asked my Doc if it was time to wean off of it and he agreed. But I said there has to be some kind of other drug out there that I could take in the morning that would give me energy all day. To my surprise he said “not really”. He said the only thing he would suggest would be Ritalin. I said WHAT!!! Wont that makes me more tired. He said not for adults, it does the opposite for adults. My Wife said I should try it.

I just knew that I had to take something or I would be in bed all the time. So I’m now weaning off of the decadron for the rest of the week then I can get off of it all together, and im taking 1 time released Ritalin once a day. So far so good. Has anyone heard of this. I will keep everyone posted on my progress with this. It would be real nice to have something that helps during chemo to give energy beside steroids.

Ray

I was on Ritalin for about 2 weeks. It did help with the fatigue. I had some trouble sleeping though, but when I did sleep, I slept very well. I am considering going off of it completely, because it did have some side effects. Namely, drastic mood swings. I have added xanax to it, and I feel somewhat better, but more tired than with just the ritilan alone.

Basically ritilin is a type of speed. I just wan't pleasant to be around when I was on it full force.

Hope it works for you. My side effect isn't one that a lot of people have, I think.

elain

Well that remains to be seen. my family was gonna leave me with the decadron so I had to do something. I can see about the mood swings but the only thing I have noticed in the past three days is I will get about 1 minute of being on edge then im ok. But Im only on my 4th day. I hope I can deal with any side effects that come my way, if not then I will try something else.

Ray~

Ritalin was recomended in an article on cancer related fatique in CURE magazine about 2 issues ago. There are a few members taking it without problems and hopefully they will post after me. If nothing else, it should up your metabolism and help with the weight loss :P

Ray

Not trying to discourage you at all. It's just that it took me sometime to realize my moods were out of hand. I am alone most of the time so I didn't have anyone telling me I was a lunatic, LOL. The good things about it were really really good.

good luck

elaine

Hi Ray,

Speaking only from my experience with it. I've been on (my doctor said the samething works the opposite on adults) Ritalin for some time now and have not experienced any side effects. I take it twice a (30MG @ 8AM and 2Pm) day and it does help/makes a difference. Of course everyone is different and reacts differently. One should stop if one has problems. Also if you do stay on it and get it re-filled it is a controlled substance and cannot be called in. Need the paper prescription in hand to take to the pharmacy. PM if you want to talk and I can be of more help. Hope this helps and good luck with it. Peace, take care and God Bless.

Rich

PS: Below is a link to the Cure Magazine article that also mentions Ritalin.

http://www.curetoday.com/backissues/v3n ... index.html (Getting A Grip On Cancer Fatigue)

Hey Ray -- I posted something a few weeks back entitled "Ritalin", if you want to do a search for it.

I went to a support group meeting at the Wellness Community recently and one of the guys there is a patient of Dr. Stevenson and he had just been put on Ritalin for his fatigue.

Glad to hear things are going well and I hope this does the trick for you! :)

ps -- I'm going to try to paste the post in here for you to read (so you don't have to search...)

http://lchelp.com/community/viewtopic.p ... ght=#78108

Hey Ray and others my onclogist presribed a drug called provigil for me, it works very well for me the only problems is that my insurance will not pay for it, it isn't real expensive about $200.00 a month so I take it on days when I want more energy whilst I appeal the insurance companys decision. I haven't noticed any side effects.

Ray,

I am not sure if this would work or not. My husband has sleep apnea and his doctor prescribed a drug for him that they give people with Narcalepsy..Its non narcotic, I can sure tell the difference in him when he takes it. I just went and asked my husband what it was called, its the same drug David was talking about Provigil..Maybe you should mention it to your docs, my husband doesnt have any side affects from it.Good Luck

Ray,

Dont have any answers for you, just thought Id drop a line to say Good Luck and I hope it works! Ive never hears of Ridalin for adults, and it working opposite is weird! Wonder how that works! Either way though, if it works... who cares???

Jamie