Does sugar feed cancer

BoBennett

I’ve been reading about high glucose levels and that sugar feeds cancer, but I’m only able to find this thought on sites that ultimately sell something. I’ve not found this in medical l literature. Is this a prevailing thought in the medical community that sugar feeds cancer. Anyone know? Thanks

Hi Bo,

You have asked a question which has been debated on this board many a time!!! To save you the trouble of having to search, I am attaching some links to 3 different post that have discussed this very topic!

http://lchelp.com/community/viewtopic.p ... gar+feeder

There's more and more evidence in the medical literature that people with diabetes (therefore more likely to have high blood sugar levels) are more likely to develop cancer. To me, this supports the idea that sugar feeds cancer. I'm trying to really limit my sugar/simple carbohydrate intake (easier said than done).

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I've read at least a dozen books and hundreds of articles that theorize that sugar feeds cancer. And no, these weren't for profit, i.e., the author didn't gain anything from discussing the sugar/cancer connection. Most of the books/articles were about fighting cancer with various means including nutrition.

Cat

If only everyone was as lucky as Sandy!!!!

Seriously though, it is obvious that not everyone who has a high sugar intake is going to get cancer, or necessarily stimulate the growth of already existing cancer (just as chemo works well for some people and not at all for others). We are all individuals, with individual responses to different stimuli. However, the literature certainly seems to suppport the fact that tumour cells are glucose metabolisers, and that lower blood sugar levels may inhibit the growth of the tumours.

In my opinion, if avoiding sugar MIGHT help to fight the cancer, then I would do it, as it certainly won't do any harm.

All the best.

Karen

Here's what I have been told, for what it's worth---sugar is not 'cancer food'--it's not that simple.

But, in order to metabolise sugar, your pancreas has to produce insulin, and some of the medical community is of the opinion that overworking the pancreas to produce the insulin needed to metabolise excess sugars is not good for anyone, especially those with cancer.

Also, if you're talking about sugars, once many many foods get into your body, they convert into sugars whether we would think so or not. For instance, those low fat pretzels and other products made of refined flour--convert to sugar faster than a teaspoon of refined sugar, according to the dietician I saw.

So, no it's not that simple--and some people can do things diet wise and never pay the price--some can't. It's just an individual thing and, at least for me, giving yourself the best possible chances once you know what you're up against......

I'm also read that sugar feeds cancer, but I also read that honey consumption may reduce cancer risks. Has anyone heard if honey is an exception or is honey not really consider a type of sugar/glucose? My mom is currently taking honey with gingseng to help her with her energy level, but I don't want her to take the honey if it's bad for her.