Have you ever "lost" a favorite song?

Snowflake

Hey all, let me explain what I'm asking...

When you were younger (days, months or years), did you have a favorite song that developed a different meaning as you grew and changed in your "tastes"? Or was there a song you DIDN'T like that upon hearing it later understood more and actually like?

For example, Peter, Paul, and Mary have an old song that was always one of my favorites:

Puff, The Magic Dragon

by Peter Paul And Mary

Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea

And froliced in the autumn mist in a land called Honali,

Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal Puff,

and brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff. Oh

And froliced in the autumn mist in a land called Honali,

And froliced in the autumn mist in a land called Honali.

Together they would travel on a boat with billowed sail

Jackie kept a lookout perched on Puff's gigantic tail,

Noble kings and princes would bow whene'er they came,

Pirate ships would lower their flags when Puff roared out his name. Oh!

A dragon lives forever but not so little boys

Painted wings and giant's rings make way for other toys.

One grey night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more

And Puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.

His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain,

Puff no longer went to play, along the cherry lane.

Without his life-long friend, Puff could not be brave,

So Puff that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave. Oh!

I USED to sing the song with my little boy whenever it came on the oldies station and he thought it was so cool...but since my little boy started to become more and more of a young man, the stanza about dragons living forever, but not little boys makes me tear up and change the station...

Ah, good to be the Snowflake so flakey thoughts are expected... :roll:

When I was little I loved the song Seasons in the Sun, which is probably one of the SADDEST songs EVER! I don't know why I liked it, I guess the tune was catchy enough, but it did make me sad, sometimes I'd cry...I was a pretty serious kid, I was aware of mine and my families mortality at a VERY young age...I don't know why, as I never experienced a death in the family until I was 16-but for some reason-I lived in constant fear of loosing my mom and dad, or grandparents-I remember being about 5 years old, and my parents going out to their friends house to play cards, and I'd sit on the floor next to my parents bed and cry and cry-completly convinced that I'd never see them again. Weird, huh?

Oh, this is a really uplifting post... :oops::roll::)

Also, very recently that song "15" by Five for Fighting, I didn't like it the first several times I'd heard it, than one day, sitting in my car and thinking about my dad the song came on and, I listened, I mean REALLY LISTENED to the song and cried and cried-I pictured my dad in photos that I have of him from when he was a teenager, and different parts of his life as I listened to the song-it really is a beautiful song...why are my favorite songs both songs that are sad???? Uh, do I need Paxil or something.???

OK< OK a happy song-that I love---------uh------um----er-a-ok, I got one "Brass Monkey" by Beastie Boys!!!!!!!! Whew! I need a break...deb

When I was 13, I had my Bat Mitzvah. Madonna was very popular back then. I could not comprehend why my parents refused to allow the song "Like A Virgin" played at the celebration. It was the top song at the time :)

The Beatles..."When I'm Sixty Four"

My dad would cry when he heard that...and he didn't make it..died at 57.

I am already two years older than my dad....just makes you think about alot.

Nina

Love it Andrea ...and Becky...Puff does that to me too.

Nina

In the 1950s, my sisters and I use to swing on our old heavy-duty rusted swing set and sing this song at the top of our lungs. It was my favorite song that I loved as a child and the song that is still my favorite, and, according to Becky's criteria "developed a different meaning as I grew and changed". I sang this song in my car on the way home from the hospital after my dad died.

Jesus Loves Me

By Anna Bartlett Warner

Jesus loves me, this I know,

for the Bible tells me so.

Little ones to Him belong,

they are weak, but He is strong.

Yes, Jesus loves me!

Yes, Jesus loves me!

Yes, Jesus loves me!

The Bible tells me so.

And I love Him,

Peggy

Ohhhh, Debarooooooo!

Would that Brass Monkey also be a funky monkey?? I REMEMBER that song! LOL

...and I like "When I'm 64"...and imagine those "stars we could reach were just starfish on the beach..."

...and I grew up with Madonna...my father HATED her music....

Here's a funny story about my dad:

We were recently (within the last five years) watching some television show that had an African-American male wearing TONS of makeup and big eyes, singing falsetto and my father said "I don't like that guy, what's his name, Prince?"

I felt SO GOOD (Prince was one of my other favorites) to tell him, "No, Dad, that's Little Richard, a 'fruit' from YOUR day!" :shock: (I laughed SOOOOOO hard!)

You've lost that loving feeling....ohhhh, that loving feeling...

...as for "sad songs", I prefer the country ones you can just belt out, songs like "It's a Heartache", "Somebody's Gonna Give You a Lesson in Leaving"...

"Puff" was still an ambush for me, from favorite "fun" song to a tear-jerking, knot in my stomach, lump in my throat, change the station song... A more poignant season in the sun..