Need Information on Chemos and Treatment

-Cheryl-

Hey All,

Any information on experiences with Taxotere would be greatly appreciated. I really do not want to do chemo again, but am considering my options. I am especially interested in Avastin and Tarceva combo. Does anyone know of where this trial may be going on? I read where it is really effective with mets to the kidneys and lung cancer. I want to be very proactive with my treatment. I don't trust doctors much anymore. They offer you what treatments they are paid to promote basically. All comments will be appreciated and considered!

Thanks,

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I don't have an answer about Taxotere. I have only had Taxol/Carboplatin. I sure hope you are able to find the right chemo combination. I am so glad you are back home and doing better. I was sure worried about you. Special prayers for you and Jack each and every day! Praying for a cure for all of us. Keep us posted on how you are doing...

God Bless, prayers and gentle hugs,

Karen

Cheryl,

I've heard good things about the combo of Avastin and Tarceva (sp?) too. I'm currently in a trial taking Avastin along with and after 6 carbo/taxol cycles. I wish I would have known more when I was making my decision about what treatment/clinical trial to use because I think you're right, doctor's often promote the trials they are involved with. It may be because they're not aware of some of the other trials that are out there . . . or (hopefully not) it's because they do get money from the drug companies for each patient they enroll in the clinical trials they are involved with.

Hang in there. I think it's great that you're so proactive.

Ginny - Thanks for the website. I've bookmarked it for future use.

Here is a trial of avastin and docetaxel (Taxotere) in Texas. Since you have BAC features, I wonder if Tarceva would be a good option. Just a thought, I'm not a Dr.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/N ... 2?order=28

Call up Genetech and they will tell you where the trials are

Unfortunately a lot of trials are NOT listed. Check ginny's link. I checked

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov

http://www.gene.com/gene/index.jsp

http://www.avastin.com/avastin/home.m

There is a fairly high risk of hemmorage with avastin. 31% for squamous cell and 4% for adeno. I think if a chemo causes low platelets then the risk would be higher.

The link below shows some of the trials in texas. There are 72 studies. I think only half may be applicable (some are for SCLC, etc)

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/search ... er%2Ctexas

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/N ... 31?order=6

summary of trials

1) ILX651

2) Tarceva aka erlotinib

3) Gemzar, cisplatin and LY293111

4) BAY 43-9006

5) EP-2101 vaccine

6) ABX-EGF (same target as Iressa and Tarceva)

7) Alanosine

8 ) GW572016

9) pertuxumab

10) 3-AP and Gemcitabine

11) PT-100 and Docetaxel

12) ABT-751

13) Celecoxib (celebrex) and/or Zileuton

14) Gemcitabine, carboplatin and Bortezomib (AVASTIN)

15) Arsenic Trioxide

Cheryl,

I was on Taxotere in combination with clinical trial ZD-6474. It was a double blind trial so I don't know if I was getting the ZD-6474 or not (we don't think I was).

Anyway, the taxotere was not that bad. It is only about a 1 hour drip, with a small dose of dexamethasone (2 the day before chemo, 2 the day of and 2 the day after). No other premeds were needed.

I would have to say that compared to carbo/taxol it is not that bad at all. Nausea wasn't an issue, I lost my hair (kinda in a "male balding pattern") which I hated, and my blood counts dropped really bad after the 4th & 5th treatments. But it was very tolerable. AND I had 31% shrinkage while on it.

I have also heard really positive things about Tarceva and Avistan, would definately check in to that. I am planning to bring it up to my dr. if the Iressa stops working.

Hope this helps,

TAnn

Cheryl, I’m on Taxotere now. Once a week for three weeks and one week off. So far no problems. Have been on it for 3 months now. Compared to carbo/taxol it a piece of cake. Total time about 1 1/2 hrs I haven’t lost any hair with it either. The only side effect is fatigue. After my first two cycles I had a ct scan and I showed some shrinkage. Unlike the carbo/taxol there is not a lot of pre meds. Now remember everyone is different so I can only speak for myself. I am also on Irissa with the Taxotere.

Good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

Ray

Hi, Cheryl! Good to see you back and posting again. Lucie was on Taxotere, along with Carboplatin, every three weeks for six rounds. Taxotere is very potent and normally has a lot of side effects -- hair loss, nausea, fatigue, mouth fungus, fingers and toes necrosis, diarrhea, skin rash, etc. Lucie had it all at one time or another during the treatment. We called it the "chemo from hell", but we swear by its effectiveness. Lucie was pretty clear for a year. Good luck, Don

Hi Cheryl,

So glad to see you back at home!!!

I was on Taxotere for 6 weekly infusions, with Carboplatin every 3rd week. The Taxotere itself wasn't as bad as the weeks I had the double dose (ugh....). It was a pretty quick infusion with lots of premeds that made me v-e-r-y s-l-e-e-p-y! (Hmmm.....Maybe that's why it seemed so quick? :roll: )

It made my hair thin, but it didn't fall out completely. As you know, I had a pretty rough time with treatment, but it may have been the combo of chemo and rad at the same time, as well as the Carbo.

Karen 335, Nina, Jane, karen, TAnn, Ray, Don, Curtis, Heather Ginny, and John. Thank you so much for the insight. I will be studying these sites listed and am grateful for the first hand experiences from survivors and care takers.

I spent a couple of hours crying for people who have lost their battle, and feeling sorry for myself too. D*#@n it! I am not ready to die yet. So, I have decided to fght this blasted demon. Thank you my friends, I do feel your love and compassion through the computer. Connie B. You are so encouraging, you too Ginny. I thank you for the cards! I LOVE ALL OF YOU GUYS!!!

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I also have BAC - Stage IV. The cancer is in my right lung, some lymph nodes, plus three small mets to my brain. For more details, see my post in the My Story forum. I participated in a clincial trial for Tarceva alone. I was on the drug for 73 weeks and we had amazing results. We had reduction and stabililty. The side effects were minimal and/ or treatable. Just like you, I have a busy life being a wife, mother to an eight year old, and part time project manager (22-24hrs/wk) for an insurance company. All of these activities are very important to me. With this drug, life went on just as it always did. I never missed a day of work. I was able to be there for my son and even volunteer in my son's classroom, hosted large family events at our home, etc. I would definitely pursue getting this drug if you can.

I also knew a woman who was a six year Stage IV survivor. She has since passed away but along her journey with this disease she developed liver met(s). She was on Iressa and the met went away.

If you have any specific questions regarding my experience, please do not hesitate to contact me. Good luck with your research and decisions. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Remember that you are never alone on this journey.

Cheryl,

I wish you the very best. I have also heard of some Tarceva and celebrex trials. (I am having some luck so far with Iressa and celebrex)

Whatever you choose may it be tolerable and strong enough to kick the stuffing out of the beast.

Lisa

Thanks for the help and support!

I was on the internet all day Fri. looking for options. I spoke to MD Anderson and they are supposed to call me back about the Avastin and Tarceva trial whch will begin in the near future. It is a Double Blind study though I think. Anyway, I will find out more on Mon. I hope.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I saw this post Friday and I thought I replied to you, but I guess I didn't. I just want you to know that I am praying for you every single day. I felt so bad when you were in the hospital and I pray that you will find a cure and never have to go back there again.

God bless you,

Peggy