I'm Back...

Tracy

Hi everybody,

I just posted my first post in many months in the alternative therapy forum.

I stopped posting after my dad appeared to be doing so well. I felt guilty to be apart of this family when my dad was going about a "normal" life and there were others that were suffering.

And after reading some posts and finding out that many of the people I used to post with have lost loved ones I feel absolutely terrible for not being there for them.

An update of my story, my father Terry.

After finishing treatment last October dad was scheduled to continue checkups every three months but basically we were given the idea that life would resume. Yes the tumour was still there but not growing. And it didnt. He had two checkups all clear and was on his way to a third when he started experiencing pain in his shoulder/neck area. He did not want to go see the doctor but after the pain continued he finally did. The doctor, who wins the jerk of the day award, called him ON THE TELEPHONE and told him he had cancer of the spine. That was about a month ago and since then we have learned that actually it is not involving the spine but rather the rib. We finally have a CT scan set up for August 3rd and so we are left in the dark about treatment until after the results come in. His pain has intensifed and after putting it off as long as possible he finally got a prescription for morphine although it does not appear to be helping much.

So that is where we are now...back to the waiting game...things are very tense around my parents house. My dad has been very depressed, just like he was last year. Hopefully that will change once he knows what road he will be travelling.

I am very scared now that it has spread. I am turning 27 next month and my dad will be 52 the month after. I am too young to lose my dad and my father is too young to lose his battle. I will not give up and I will be damned if I let him.

Thanks for listening to me vent. Blessings to this site and all those involved!

Hi Tracy

Sorry you had to come back.

August seems like a long time to wait if your dad is in so much pain. From what I have read, it sounds like maybe he needs some radiotherapy on those spots, can't they bring the date for the scan a bit closer?

I hope that he gets some rapid relief from his discomfort, and that a treatment plan is put in place as quickly as possible.

Welcome back (although wouldn't we all love to be somewhere else?!)

Karen

Tracy

I am so sorry to read about the latest turn of events for your Dad. You are right that he is to young to lose this fight. Have they discussed what treatment options they are proposing for you Dad, or is this waiting til after the CT scan? There are plenty of things that can be done, so don't lose hope.

I will be thinking of you and your family, especially your Dad. Please let us know how the CT scan goes.

with love

Jana

xxx

Thanks Karen and Jana,

Unfortunately no treatment options have been discussed at this point and will not until the CT scan is complete. You are right August 3rd does seem very far away and unfortunately this is the bumped up date, it was originally set for August 16th..seems unreal to have to wait so long..August will be two months after the diagnosis. We had to wait last year too, Dad was first diagnosed in April and didnt start treatment until July!

Thanks again!

Tracy

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Tracy,

So sorry to hear the news. You're about my daughter's age and I think she's too young to lose her mom. I truly think this is harder on her than it is on me - though I'm so very scared. It seems to be too much for her to handle and in many ways, she is handling this all alone. Though I get rare visits, calls from my siblings - she's the one who is holding me together. It just doesn't seem fair to her. Da** it all.

Cat

So sorry you have had to come back with such disappointing news. Can you get another opion or Dr, it seems to me they are taking to way long with the situation as you discribed it. I would push a bit to get things moving, you have to be your own advocate with this disease. I would explain to the DRs about the increased pain and the meds not helping. No reason your father should suffer unnessecarily.

Hi, Tracy. Good to see you back. Sorry your dad has more trials. Yes, cancer in the rib is a lot less serious than cancer in the spine. I wonder if radiation has been considered to lessen the pain. Lucie has had several bone mets irradiated with the result of significant pain reduction. I also think Aug. is a long time to wait. Don

Hello, and glad you came back for support. My name is Jane and my Dad has SCLC. Your Dad is young, he can still fight this thing. I wish the doctors would move more quickly since you Dad is in so much pain. I hope your Dad is getting the care he needs, it must be hard for your family to begin to go through this again, and I'm sorry for you.

Jane

I wonder if it is because you are in Canada that you are having to wait so long. I wish you could move everything up to NOW. Is there anyway to go to private pay any sooner? I really don't know much about Canada's health plan except that it seems to take a long time for things to get done and this is a time for action.

I am sorry you had to return but glad we are here to help support you. I will add you to my prayer list.

Nina

Update:

My dad got back from an appointment with his chemo dr and he said that until they get the CT scan results back they dont even know what they are dealing with...turns out him and the radiation dr dont agree on what kind (if any) cancer is there!! Odds are that the chance of being no cancer is very slim to none...but it is a chance!

So now we are even more confused and have to wait until the 12th of August to get the results of his ct scan on the 3rd!

Will update you with more info when it comes in...thanks for all the support!

• 2 weeks later...