My neighbor died, sclc

KatieB

Some of you that have been here over a year might remember me saying something about my neighbor- 2 houses down- who was dx. with ex. sclc last year. He passed away last night. He leaves behind a 7 year old and a wife and a family. I will go to the wake tomorrow and hope my bruised heart will be strong enough to make it thru. (I still have a hard time going to church because I "see" my dad there, the day of his funeral)

I spoke with my neighbor, Larry, quite a few times, but in all honesty, he reminded me very much of my dad and I kept a short distance because of that and the pain in my heart. The last time we spoke I hugged him and he was near tears talking about the progression of his illness. We had just spoken with his wife a few days ago and I had no idea things had progressed so quickly.

I felt so helpless, I feel so helpless. Like I did when daddy died. Helpless against this disease and everyone it destroys and leaves behind.

I hate it.

I hate it.

Please pray for Larry's family. The hardest days for them are ahead.

Katie,

It seems with each passing.. brings back the old memories doesnt it? I feel so bad for his family. I am so new at this grieving stuff that it has really affected me to come to this board and read of more heartache. Prayers for Larry's family and for you Katie.

God Bless You All,

Jane

Katie,

I know how you must feel. So helpless in the face of so much suffering. Joni and Robert lived here in Wichita, and I felt paralyzed to do anything for them. Luckily they had lots of family and friends here as they are from here. But I feel so badly that it all happened so quickly that I wasn't able to do more.

I know you did what you could, as did I.

I will pray for Larry's family to find peace.

elaine

Hi Katie, I remember your neighbour you mentioned, I remember he was suffered from sclc as well. I understand how bad the feeling you have while you are going to the same heartbroken place that remind you once again your loss. On the other side of the coin, crying can relieve your inner sadness.

All the best

Oh Katie,

I am so sorry. This does bring back the memories only too well. If feels like it all happened yesterday.

Your being there will help his family in so many ways. You really are probably only one of a few people that really understand what they are going through. And yes it reminds you of your father, but just like here, you will be there to offer your support and love.

I too have a real hate for this disease and all it does.

Warm hugs and prayers being said.

Shirleyb

Katie

I remember when you found out about him and how you went over there to bring them some information, I dont have a great memory but certain things stick out..Its so sad, I am praying that God gives you the strength to get through tomorrow..

Oh Katie,

I'm so sorry to hear Larry lost his battle. I'm also sorry to hear you have to re-live this nightmare. I can only tell you that I feel you pain and honestly understand where your coming from. Too much, too soon!

(((((((((((((KATIE)))))))))))))))))))

So sorry to hear of your neighbors passing. I remember when you told us about his illness. It is so hard to see someone that is diagnosed with cancer and not think of our loved ones. I have a friend that was recently diagnosed with sclc. When I saw him, it was so hard to fight back the tears as we talked. He was telling me all the information the doctor had given him about his diagnosis and it was all like listening to a recording of words I heard from Dennis's doctor. I kept up a good front and kept offering encouraging words to this man but deep inside, I had the urge to say..."When you get to heaven, please tell Dennis how much I love and miss him." Wasn't that terrible??? Of course, I didn't say that but it was all I kept thinking!!! I hate this damned disease !!!!

I am so sorry for your sorrow and send prayer to Larry's family. Just a thought - you don't have to go, if you think it is too soon for you to handle this. It has not been that long for you. Someone else could go in your place or you could go over early with food and explain. It won't be a big difference to them, just a little.

I recently went to someone's services when I might not have, just because of what we are going through. It might be different later.

I went to the wake tonight but told his wife that I would not make the funeral. You're right, too much too soon for me, and I don't want to take anything away from Larry, for me to be still mourning the loss of my dad, when it's supposed to be all about him.

he was sure a great guy. One tough guy. I really am glad I went. I met some of his family members, his grown sons, watched his 7 year old run and play outside when I left and he had that same smile...Larry's smile.

Our loved ones live on...in their children and in our hearts...and they are having one heck of a great time now, without sadness or pain or fear....but it's those of us that are left behind that feel ALL of those things....

Thank you for your posts. Please keep Larry's family in your prayers.