More surgery so soon???!!!

jamie

OK...Update...Good news and some "im not so sure how bad it really is news..."

Good news first...

Dad got the official notice today...NED!!! :D:D:D

Even his tumor and surrounding tissue was dead. No cancer in the lymphnodes at all. Great, Great, Great!!!

Now,

My dad went to the surgeon today and he told him that he has air and fluid trapped in his chest, and he is looking at more surgery real soon to get rid of it. Also, his windpipe is blocked, either by an infection, or maybe something having to do with the surgery, there not sure. So...has anyone heard of any of this??? Im not sure how bad this is, or even if it is TRULY bad...

Any input would be greatly appreciated ASAP... my dad has chewed off all his fingernails, and is working on the nubs! :wink:

Thanks is advance

Jamie

Jamie, how soon are they talking doing the second surgery? I would think they would wait a couple or even a few more weeks to do this?! As for the air in his chest, well.......I would think that could happen. I know my daughter just had her tubes tied Tuesday and she got air in her shoulder and that is very painful when that happens. So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it sounds real possible to me. As for the other issue, I haven't got a clue. But, I would hope they can fix it, but....... I think I would be concerned if it were me! I know I STILL have problems with my throat after both my heart surgeries last August and Nov. It's from the tube being down their. But, in my case, it's nothing I can't live with.

Good luck my dear, and keep us posted.

Hugs,

Con

Hi Jamie,

I still had a little fluid in my chest and the surgeon said a little is normal after that type of surgery. I had an air leak after surgery but it sealed itself and I was able to go home on time. Maybe they're afraid of an air embolism or collapse of the lung or something. Hope Dad will be okay and the second surgery is not too hard on him. All my prayers and good wishes for him!

Sharon

Hi everyone!!!

I expected WAY more posts for this question! I kindof figured that maybe this was a common thing after surgery. Guess Not!! Please anyone who hasnt responded yet, if you have any info...please, please, please!!!!

Jamie

Jamie,

I remember my Dad after an operation for an abdominal aneurysim had a lot of air that got in and he had terrible gas pains for awhile. I guess they have to be real careful when air gets into the lungs.

Sharon

P.S. I'm sorry the poor guy has to have surgery again so soon after all he's been through.

Jamie,

I'm sorry you haven't received more replies. I've been a member of this board since March, and I don't recall anyone ever having posted that they had this experience. I do know that there can be complications from different surgeries and it is not all that uncommon for doctors to have to go back and fix something. I'm also sorry you are having to go through this fear again. It is extremely stressful. When I am stressed to the maximum and really scared, I repeat the following Bible verse over and over:

"All things work together for good for those who love God . . . . . "

Romans 8:28

I don't know if it will help you, but it sure helps me.

Love and prayers,

Peggy

Jamie,

I dont have a clue about any of it either but cant you call his DR and get his feelings on it and have it further explained to you? I am happy :D:D:D that Ned is there with your Dad!!!! I"m sorry I can see how you are wanting and needing answers and I wish I had some insight on it but the truth is I just dont. My prayers are with you and your Dad.

God Bless You Both,

Jane

Dear Jamie,

I'm sorry that no one has been able to write back with any authority -- I certainly have no clue. My husband was operated on last April and one lymph node DID come up positive, so he had a different outcome, but things seem under control.

It would seem to me that you have to sit down with the surgeon and write ask him some questions -- is this something he's seen commonly after surgery? Is there any relationship to the cancer or it is strictly a surgical thing. And if so, what has happened to most of the patients who had to undergo a second operation so soon. Infections, unfortunately are all too common after surgery - but was this surgically related or an outcome of something quite different?

I hope that you have a surgeon who is willing to sit down and go over all of this with you -- or a doctor, if not the surgeon, who will step in and find out what is going on.

I'm hoping for the best for your dad...

Ellen

Ellen,

My friend Dawn is a nurse, and she has told me that it is fairly common for someone with a chest drain, to get excess air and fluid in there, and to have to come back in for a second round. What worries me is that before leaving the hospital, they gave him an x-ray and found nothing. I know the fluid is normal, but as far as the other stuff, air, and the thing with his windpipe...I dont know.

I will keep everyone posted...

Jamie

Jamie,

Glad to hear that your friend was able to clear some things up for you. I remember the non-stop xrays my husband had before and after surgery. Never quite knew what they could see on them and what they couldn't.

Hope all goes well with the second surgery -- do keep us posted.

Ellen