Effusions and Metastatic Disease

-Cheryl-

Cheryl,

Please dont be so sad! I know all of this is very hard on you, but I responded to one of your posts awhile back , because I remember reading, and thinking of how strong you were, and wishing I had some of you in me! Please stay strong... you will beat this!

Jamie

Dear Friends,

I am humbled by your support and information. I am trying to regain my fighting spirit and beat this beast into submission. I am not ready to die, and will give this disease all the resistance I can muster. I am still recovering from the effusions, and thought the recovery would be quicker. My chest aches so much.

I have been taking my very pregnant mare out walking. She and I both move a bit slower! Ha! Exercise helps, as I struggle with depresson, but am slowly starting to see a ray of hope. I have been checking out clinical trials for the last two days and am trying to think positively. I thank you all for the information and will keep you all up to date on any treatment I decide on.

I have had a plethora of watermelons grow in my garden. I broke one open tonight to feed to my mare. It was so sweet and juicy! My horse, Chula, was covered with watermelon- not good for Texas Black, Biting Flies! We enjoyed ourseves so much though. I heard from the guy breaking my other horse. He said he had been riding him all week. We will probably get him back in mid Aug.! These simple pleasures are the beauty and bounty of life. I thank God for them. I also thank you all for being there for me. I pray for us all.

Cheryl

Cheryl & Jack,

I am so saddened to read of your report. Steve also was diagnosed because of pleural effusion which totally collapsed his left lung. He had 2 thoracentesis and then a chest tube put in and, after 9 days, a pleuradesis was performed to prevent any more leakage around the lung. That part has been totally successful and he has had no further breathing problems.

Steve's original dx probably included "innumerable" - there were so many places mentioned, I just kind of went numb. But when he received a treatment which worked for him, the next sets of scans all came back clear, and he was doing great, walking 2-3 miles and doing all sorts of family activities. So "innumerable metastases" can be beaten. Steve is hard at work on a new set and we are going to get those too.

You just keep walking on down that road - you'll get there.

Cheryl,

You are hard not to love. I only know you through your posts but they have always been so supportive and compassionate of us all. I hope we can give back what you have given to us and continue to give to us throughout your own fears and battles.

I am not familer with malignant pleural effusions so I cant address that. I do know my Brother had fluid around his heart and had to have the window put in like you did. The difference was he had tumors that were cancerous around his heart. I pray for you all the time and always look for your posts. You fight this with everything you have Cheryl!! Since you are such a horse lover I will say this ... When you get bucked off, climb right back in that saddle and break that horse just like you need to look at this cancer. Break it, kick it, fight it do what ever you have to do. You are young and strong and have a beautiful spirit and God knows that. Prayers for both you and Jack through this difficult time but you'll find a way Cheryl and you'll tame that horse and it will be happy riding from then on out!!

God Bless you both,

Jane

Cheryl,

I can't imagine how you must feel. When things like this happen it is normal to be depressed. The trick is not to stay there. As you feel better physically you will feel better mentally. Are you taking any antidepressants? Anything for anxiety? It might be a good idea to get some help so that you can muster that fighting spirit as soon as possible. I think of you often and keep you in my prayers. Keep us posted as you feel like it.

Nina