Oh my how much fun is too much!

David A

HI everyone, I had one of those old normal days yesterday, I was up by 7:30 am howered, went to the $machine packed the cooler helped get the boys ready to go. We then spent the whole day at the dragstrip, watching cars go 200 - 300 mph down the 1/4 mile. I had one of those days that I'll never forget, the best thing is I got to share it with my twin 9 year old sons, ever since they've been born I've beeen waiting for this day(I would guess that makes me a CERTIFIED REDNECK, so be it) . Honestly trying to make as many positive memories when I'm feeling well. The thing that jerks my chain is my oncologist has prescribed a drug for me called Provigil, that helps me so much with Fatique, I can stay awake and due a lot of the old normal things and not want to fall out because of it, so I guess I'm experiencing better living thru chemistry, our insurance company REFUSES to pay for said drug, I have had a one month prescription(185.00 a month, probably about what it would cost me to smoke if I still did) and they have gave me two 7 pill samples. They are also so slow about sending the appels process papers, I feel guilty about spending that much for a presprition, as since I have quit smoking we have actually been able to save some $, my wife just says to get it because it helps. Okay enough bitching from me!

It is so cool that my kids have some of the same interrests as I do, they are both starting to be able to identfy classic muscle cars by looks, Lil David can tell the difference between a '55 chevy and a 57 chevy(says thats the coolest car ever built bar none). I guess I have to say these are the good old days for me and hopefully my boys too.

Sorry I've rambled so much. Love to you all, David Arley

Glad you had one of those wonderful days.

The $$ issue reminded me--

I now pay a massage therapist, and regular therapist (insurance does cover a lot of that), and buy many supplements. I know in my heart that all these thisngs are helping me from creating new tumors. It took me a while to silence the voice in my head the questions using the $$$ on such things.

But here's what I decided--

If it keeps me going and improves the quality of my life, it improves the quality of my family's. For me, depression and stress were a big factor in my life, and now, with what I'm doing, I do not return to those ugly places of the past.

So if it works . . .

gail

PS Any way to fight the insurance company?

Colleges are now requiring meningitis vaccines, and my insurance won't cover it either. Thankfully, the college will assist.

Go figure.

Not rambling, at all. You just sound like a proud dad havin' fun with his kids. I agree, it is very cool that you and your sons share the same interests already and have such a great time together. My daughter and I are big Mopar lovers and its one of those rare interests we still share and things we actually agree about.

Insurance companies sure su*k, don't they? These pills sound like they are a necessity for you. Maybe you could write a letter to the drug manufacturer and say just what you said here. Maybe they'll send some your way - samples or a discounted price. You never know????

Gina

David A, you redneck you, that sounds like one terrific day with your boys! And best of all, I bet your wife got a day off to do some girl things, huh?

I say buy the drugs if you can work it into your budget, it sounds worth it to me. Let's see - four weeks in a month, divided into $185, that's, hmmm, $46.25 a week - isn't having days like that worth $46.25 a week? Plus, file the appeal or special request or whatever with your insurance company, they may end up paying for it. When I was undergoing infertility treatments I learned that all kinds of things could be gotten that were off the regular meds list if you asked real real nice (and real real persistently!).

I'm glad you had a day to remember!

Karen C.

David,

So glad you had such a good day. Our son has been going to the races since he was a baby - he is 22 now. My husband used to drive Fuel Altereds and I use to manage Orange County International Raceway. Our son drove Jr. Dragsters from 13 to 17, then a front-engine A-Fuel car, he is now driving a front-engine Top Fuel Dragster but his Dad and I just finished putting together an alcohol Funny Car for him. We should have it on the track by September. What track did you go to?

I think it so neat that your boys love cars at such a young age. You just keep buying whatever medicine you need to keep enjoying those kids.

Try Good-Guys.com. It is the website of the nostalgia organization that we race with - they also have alot of show cars.

I finish my chemo sometime mid-September and my goal is to be on the starting line with my son. Take care.

Nancy

David,

Since I had all this happen to me, I have quit smoking, thereby saving a lot of money every year. Double that because my husband has also quit for the same amount of time.

But, I too spend money on other things that I feel keep me healthy--supplements, fresher food choices, soy shakes, exercise clothes, and entertainment. I am also of the belief that these things are keeping tumors away, and there's no price tag for that.

If it makes you feel better, I think you should do it....like you said, you spent that much on cigarettes every month too. If you can be feeling more like doing things with your family, how can the drug that gets you there be money badly spent?????

Those boys will have the greatest memories to reminisce with you over the years. Then you get to relive them over and over. What a cool dad you are - my sons would be totally impressed with an outing like that. Don't you worry about the $$ if you can come up with it, because your family would gladly spend that many times over to have you able to be feeling good. You go for it! (p.s. - if the $$ become unmanageable, some of the major drug companies do have programs to help. Contact the maker directly to find out if they have one and what are the guidelines for qualification.)

Hey my fellow redneck friend! :lol: I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the things which you love. (even if it is through chemistry and at your expense..........shame on your insurance.) I've become quite the "smooth talker" to insurance companies........ya' want me to give them a call??

I must confess, I love the dragstrip! There is a dragstrip, a dirt track, and a regular race track (not the NASCAR kind....not that much speed) within about 30 minutes of my house. When I was growing up, my Dad and I used to frequent one of the tracks. It was wonderful. There is just something about that raw power when the cars go by........you feel your whole body shaking.....the bleachers are shaking........OOOOH, I love it, David!! My mom and dad were divorced when I was four years old, so it was always just my dad and I. That made it extra special. I'm also pretty good at identifying the different types of cars.......especially for a girl! :wink: I owe that to my dad also.

Keep on making those memories David. Hopefully, your insurance company will begin to pay for your meds. If not, don't you dare feel bad about having to pay for it out of pocket. If that medicine keeps you feeling well enough to do things with your boys............don't you dare feel bad about paying for it. Keep on making those memories.......they are precious!

In my thoughts and prayers~~~~~

Angie

P.S. I love your ride!!!! And your boys are so cute.......ahem....handsome!

David,

I loved the story of your day with the boys. The pride and excitement you felt jumped off the screen. YOUR day made MY day, yesterday.

Thank you so much for showing your strength in the face of adversity.

I can't even tell you how much I appreciate your posts.

I wish you many happy days ahead.

elaine

Know that I love you all, for the encouragement, fellowship and for the great companionship you all give me and everyone else here. To know that I'm not alone in this struggle for my life is so encouraging, we are a great bunch of people, everyone of us(well I'll make an exception for Dave Grant lol) just kidding I think.

Right back at ya' David!! Eventhough I am not the one with cancer, I am fighting right along side with my Dad everyday! I'm cheering on all of our lung cancer survivors here every single day. I don't know what my state of mind would be right now if it wasn't for the support and encouragement of this group. Oh yeah, and the laughs that we have here........yeah, David, I even thank you for all of the silly jokes that you post. I even enjoy our "friendly arguements", you know the girls against the guys in the just for laughs forum. There are times that I feel so alone. I come here and that feeling disappears. I love you all!!

Angie

Dave, sounds like an awesome day at the races, You know we have a tack about 35 miles away from us and Karen and I have always taked about going. We have been to NASCAR here in Richmond twice and would go more often if the tickets did not cost so darm much. It is awesome you could create some memories. Sovor them and create as many as possible. YOUR POST HAS BEEN AN INSPIRATION TO ME. Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!