Where's bean_si??

betplace

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I'm here. I've felt badly about not posting in response to other's problems. I've just been so busy & stressed with paperwork and doctor/insurance mistakes, I didn't feel I could help anyone.

Bad news: My ex-employer e-mailed me about my life insurance. It seems they accidentally put me on the wrong one and no one is sure who is covering me, if anyone! Then I get a bill from a lab for $1500 that the insurance won't cover. This is the lab my oncologist or the hospital decided on their own, without any authorization to send my biopsy to after M.D. Anderson contradicted the original dx.

Good news: I saw the other oncologist (2nd opinion) today and he believes I should be treated for NON-small cancer. Wait! He didn't realize the other idiot oncologist insisted on me having ANOTHER biopsy after radiation so he starts telling me they would never risk putting me through another biopsy since after radiation, it is much more possible to have a lung collapse. That explains why the radiation oncologist said something about NOT doing another biopsy.

Anyway, I told the new onc., Dr. S. that I had never been staged. He says the PET scan stages and it shows you're stage 3. He said based on tests in June, my tumor was stable and we should wait to bring in "bigger guns". He talked about gemcitabine and paclitaxel (?). I think that's what he said - he has an Eastern Indian accent. He also said he would check my tumor markers. In late August, I will have another visit and they'll do another CT thorax and PET scan.

I'm soooooo glad, despite all my fears, that I did get a second opinion on my biopsy and on my chemo. I couldn't have done it without all you people. There could never be thanks enough.

Please know that I'm praying for everyone here.

Cat

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Cathy, I read that if you're changing docs, to wait until you evaluate the new one before getting rid of the old one. So, no, Dr. Idiot doesn't know yet.

I feel so relieved feeling that this doc is listening to me.

Cat

Cat, I'm so glad you got a second opinion and this Dr. sounds so much more positve and AT LEAST you have a clearer idea of where you stand.

I'd stick that $1,500 Lab bill down near the bottom of the pile and worry about taking care of your immediate needs right now. Maybe if you explain to them what happened - no authorization by you, etc. - they will work out a payment plan for you.

Glad to see you posting.

Gina

Cat,

Soooo glad to hear your visit with a new dr. went well. Gemcitabine (Gemzar) and pacitaxel are both good drugs. I'm surprised they didn't suggest Carbo with one or the other drug. It's my understanding that a platinum drug is usually used in combination with the others for best effect. Take care and glad you are back posting. I am praying for you and for the doctors to have wisdom.

Tina

Cat,

I am just glad you are alright! It's OK not to have energy to help people and not post, I just got worried, thats all. I am a real worry wart right now, still waiting to hear about my scan from Friday, I hope the Doc calls soon! I am really happy you have found a different Onc. It must have been horrid to not be able to trust the person who is supposed to be helping you fight for your life.

Blessings

Betty

Cat,

Sounds good except for the life insurance and the bill: :evil:

This next month should give you time to research your exact DX and find out the best way to treat what you have. I posted a post about a place where if you have your pathology report you can either send them the reoport and they will translate it into plain English for 50.00. However there is a wealth of info on the site and it looks like you should be able to use the info there to "translate" it yourself.

Good to see you on board for a bit.

love

elaine

Cat,

I am always looking for your posts. I am so very glad that you got that 2nd opinion and that you can have the pleasure of telling the 1st oncologist just what you think of him. I wouldnt want to be in his shoes!! I am also glad you are developing a plan of action. It wasent to awfully long ago that you were sounding like you were giving up the fight ex getting all your things in order. I hope you are having a wonderful visit with your daughter also. About the bill, what I would do if I did not authorise it is I would tell them so and I would NOT pay it. But like others have said forget the bills right now and work on Cat getting better!! We love You Cat!

God Bless You always,

Jane

Cat,

So glad to see your post. I am very pleased to see that you got a second opinion. That other guy seemed to just be a pain in your side. At least now you know what you are dealing with and that there are more treatments out there. Take care of Cat. You are always in my prayers.

Nina