post op pleural effusion

DeniseMarie

Hi everyone--my mom had surgery about 3 weeks ago with a removal of her upper right lung and lymph nodes in her mediastinum. (adeno stage 111A) She was doing well until a few days ago when she started coughing and had a hard time breathing--at the dr. today they determined she has pleural effusion on the right side--does anyone know if this is often a side effect of surgery or if it is often determined to be malignant?

thank you!

all the best

Denise

Hi, my husband had a pleural effusion but not after surgery. He was not a candidate for surgery with his cancer. He had fluid drained once and then the fluid returned. They performed a talc procedure where they put a type of talc after the fluid was drained to see if it would help adhere the lung to the chest wall to stop the fluid. The path came back on the fluid as non malignant but the surgeon said sometimes it does come back indicating no cancer. Robert's pleural effusion never cleared up though. He ended up having a chest tube in for over 1 1/2 months before he passed away.

I've read a lot from other people here though that their pleural effusion did clear up.

Best of luck to you.

Denise,

It is very commnon to have a plueral effusion after surgery. Especially, if your husband had chemo and radiation. Think about it, the lungs go though such trauma due to treatment. The effusion went away on its own shortly after. It recently returned, and I had a peracardial efussion and plueral effusions. I had surgery to put in, what is called a peracardial window to drain the fluid surrounding the heart. Tubes were also inserted to drain both lungs. I was in the hospital for 11 days, and was recently released. The tubes were removed upon discharge, because I hadn't drained anything for a couple of days. The fluid build up in my case was probably due to the cancer. Hope your Mom's is quickly resolved.

Cheryl

Hi Denise,

Sorry to hear about the pleural effusion. My husband was also not a candidate for surgery, but had a completely collapsed left lung from about 6 liters of pleural effusion. He had a thoracentesis 2x (needle through the back for drainage), a chest tube for 9 days and then also the talc procedure. That was a success for him and he has had no further breathing problems. Hope they can do something similar for your mother. Pleural effusions are NO FUN!

On a lighter note, Steve got served with a jury duty notice right when he got sick and the pleural effusion earned him a permanent dismissal. :)

Hello all--

Thank you for your words of hope and advice. My mom had the fluid removed 2 days ago (about 1/2 liter) and her breathing has improved and coughing has eased up. So far, initial test results say no cancer in the fluid--we should know for sure by Monday--till then, keeping our fingers crossed!

Best to everyone

Denise

Hi Denise,

My surgeon said pleural effusion could also be the result of inflammation.

I had some show up in my last scan, and as it wasn't much and wasn't increasing or causing breathing problems, he felt best to let it be, and just follow it.

Good luck to your mom.

XOXOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn