Update on Lucie's New Chemo

Don Wood

Today, Thursday, we went in for the day. Lucie first had the Navelbine, her second round, and then the Aredia, her monthly IV for bone mets. The Navelbine takes less than 30 min. The Aredia is supposed to take 3-4 hurs, but it only took about 2 hours. I noticed the drip was awfully fast and I asked the nurse about it. She turned it back. Shortly after that, Lucie got nauseous although they had given her nausea med. It could have been the combination of IV's but we think it is from the fast drip. Anyways, we complained so they would note it for next time. They were overloaded today and I think they were trying to vacate the room! We are not necessarily for long IV's but we don't want to make her sick either. Anyways, she took some Gaviscon, which seemed to help and I gave her a nausea pill when we got home. She did fine. We were able to go out to dinner and she ate very well. Must be the company (LOL). We will see the onc next week and see where we go from here. Lucie is supposed to have next week off from chemo.

The spot on her right lower rib is giving her some discomfort, but it seems to be managed with Norco once or twice a day, so we are hoping that she can delay the radiation on that spot until chemo is done. Looks doable so far. I will keep you posted on her progress.

Don

Don and Lucie, Glad you were able to get the nausea under control quickly and find out what most likely caused it. My Mom had a terrible time with nausea with her one of her chemo regimes, but we were able to get ahead of it the next time and she did much better on the next one. Lucie's blessed to have you looking out for her Don.

I'll say an extra prayer for Lucie's comfort tonight.

Gina

The navelbine is bad stuff, they try to put it in fast so it doesn't burn where the IV is. It leaks thru the vein and it will get red and inflamed. It made Rob feel really bad. His legs swelled up and it nauseated him too. Hope Lucy does better than he did. :( Good Luck and God Bless Lucie!

Tess

I am sorry Lucie had so much nausea from her chemo today, but it sounds like you were able to get it under control. It's a great sign to see that she ate well. I know that Keith and I usually feel more confident and better physically and emotionally when he is eating well. Something about being able to intake our favorite comfort foods that make us feel at ease with everything else that is going on.

But, you are right, it probably does have a lot to do with the company as well. :lol: Love conquers all.

I am praying for your sweet Lucie every day, and I hope that these chemo treatments go by quickly, painlessly, and effectively. Followed by successful rounds of radiation. I wish all the best for the two of you.

Carleen

Johnny only had two treatments of the Navelbine but it was the only time that he ever had any discomfort durning chemo. He felt a small amount of heartburn nothing more.

It is funny when I read these posts saying how bad the Navelbine is. We were told the reason for giving it to Johnny was because he was older and it is so much easier tolerated by older people and those in weakened condition. I think now that was just one more way that we were mislead.

Tess sense Rob was seeing doctors from the same oncology clinic it would be interesting to know what they told you about the Navelbine.

Don I am so happy that Lucie's discomfort passed and she was able to enjoy a good meal. Hopefully soon she will be stable and improving and that spot will be zapped right out of there. Extra prayers are going your way for that. Lillian

Don,

Lucie is a lucky woman to have such a strong advocate in her corner. It is so important that we monitor and question all the treatments.

Lucie is a lucky woman to have such a handsome husband take her out to dinner.

Praying hard that these treatments are easy on Lucie and successful.

Don,

I am so sorry to hear that Lucie had a difficult time with this chemo session. But, I am glad to hear that you got the nausea under control. You were absolutely right to monitor the speed of the drip, if it is too fast it can definately cause those bouts of nausea...too much meds at once.

Is Lucie being treated at MD Anderson? I was just wondering because I know how packed the chemo (infusion) departments are, but that's no excuse to speed the drip. Anytime I had problems with the nurses in the chemo rooms I always let my doctor know about it.

Hope Lucie tolerates the chemo well and she sure is lucky to have you in her corner.

TAnn

Don,

Sorry to hear Lucie had a bit of difficulty with her chemo. I bet she's glad you're in her corner.

Delighted to hear you had a pleasant dinner out.

Have to ask, what is Norco?

I hope her ribs don't bother her much between now and time for radiation.

God bless you both! You're a wonderful couple and I hold you both in great esteem, being very single myself and not being able to figure out this couples thing .

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

Prayers, always...

MaryAnn

TAnn, she is not being treated at M. D. Anderson, but at NW Cancer Center. Her onc was trained at M. D. Anderson and has connections there. We are confident in his treatment of her case.

MaryAnn, Norco is a pain medication Lucie uses between morphine doses when she needs additional aid.

Lucie is fine today. So far, so good. The incident yesterday was not a big deal, folks, because we caught it, but it does point out that you have to watch everything. As I have said many times here, each patient needs an advocate to watch out for them. Even the best places can go awry. Even though the onc approved her having both Navelbine and Aredia on the same day, and it was on the schedule, when the nurse brought the IV bag in, I asked which IV was she going to administer first. She said, "OH, we're just doing Aredia today." I said, "Uh Uh, she gets Navelbine, too". I knew also that I had paid my share of two drugs when I entered, so I knew the desk had it right. So we got them straight. We must be vigilant!

Thanks for all your prayers and good wishes. You guys and gals are the best! Don

Don,

My Mom had such various reactions to each chemo treatment. We never knew how she would fair...

You really have to watch out for your loved one, sometimes nobody else will. Dad still looks back on mom's treatment and says "that doctor was so busy", meaning too busy to spend much time with us :(

Lucie is a very lucky lady to have you. And yes, I think it was the company :)

Pulling for you every inch of the way...

Gayle

Dear Don and Lucie,

I was so glad to see a post about how Lucie is doing. I have wondered the last few days. Thank goodness you were there to speak up for her and on the spot with the proper meds to ease her nausea. I do believe it was the company that gave her back her appetite. You two are great folks and I admire both of you. And Don, thanks for all the support you give to the rest of us.

Nina

Dear Don and Lucie,

Thank heavens you, Don, were there. When I go with Len to the chemo sessions, I see all these patients who come in by themselves, without anyone to watch over them. I've wondered what would happen if someone made a mistake -- as you say, even in the best places it can happen. Makes me glad I've insisted on staying for the majority of the time (there's a great library there where I can go when things get too boring for words!).

I hope that Lucie's pain is less and that you can stave off the radiation until she finishes this bout of chemo. Where are you going to take her for dinner next time?

Ellen