Keith is home

Carleen

Well, we finally were able to bring Keith home from the hospital last night. I don't know exactly how I feel about it though. On one hand I am ecstatic that he is home with me in my bed where I can hold him and he is comfortable and happy. But on the other hand, they really didn't do anything to solve his problem in the hospital.

Keith has been complaining of pain prior to urination and Bowel movements for months, and none of the doctors ever investigated it. On his last appt. (which was last week Tues.) the onc actually forgot that he'd been complaining about it, and casually said he'd schedule an ultrasound. Well, before we could have that scheduled Keith was in the hospital.

The very next day, Keith awake with the same pain, only now it was constant. As the day went on it grew worse until he was in excruciating pain. We went into ER and were admitted. After only a few blood tests, it was determined that his pancreas was horribly inflamed. Normal Pancreatic Lapace enzymes should be at 70, when Keith was admitted his were around 2500.

From there, they put Keith on a morphine pump and took him off of all food and liquid by mouth until his pancreas calmed down. After a week of inactivity, his pain subsided and his enzymes returned near normal. A CT scan showed that there is a mass in his pancreas that is possibly blocking the duct and causing the enzyme back-up. Keith's onc scheduled an endoscopy to determine what was in there by getting a biopsy, and to put in a stint to open the duct. However, the GI doctors decided they did not want to do the endoscopy because they can irritate the pancreas and cause pancreatitis, which being Keith already had pancreatitis they figured the benefits did not outweigh the risks. So, nothing was done to fix the problem, nothing was done to determine 100% whether it's cancer or not. We were sent home with the assumtion it is a met, and we should treat it as such.

Keith has been home for one day, and already the pain is starting to return. This is what I was afraid of, they did nothing to stop it from reoccuring as soon as he started eating again.

Keith's onc wants him to have another CT scan on Monday and then talk to a team of surgeons on Tuesday. From our conversations with him, it sounds like he is leaning towards having the surgeons remove Keith's pancreas. But I don't know. They never did a biopsy to determine if what is in there is cancer or something else, like a gall stone. And pancreatic surgery is a very serious surgery. In fact, I've never heard of someone living without a pancreas. What type of lifestyle changes would this cause. Would Keith ever be able to eat again, as the pancreas produces all the enzymes for digestion? I'm sure Keith would need to start taking insulin as the pancreas produces insulin.

I'm just so scared, and so confused. I want this problem to be taken care of, as it doesn't seem to be something that went away and will stay away now that he is home. Pancreatitis is so incredibly painful, I can't imagine him having to go through this over and over again. But I don't want doctors to blindly go in and remove an organ without being positive it's cancer.

Does anyone have any experience with pancreas problems? John, do you know anything about this?

Thanks guys, and God Bless you

Carleen

Carleen,

I can't help with any of your questions but wanted to say I am so sorry Keith is having this problem. My husband had pancreatitis after gall bladder surgery for a few days. He was in terrible pain. His went away as it was caused by trauma, but Keith's problem doesn't sound like that to me. I hope they will do something soon to get rid of the problem. Just wanted you to know you are in my prayers.

Nina

Hi Carleen,

It is so good to hear from you. I am so sorry to hear that Keith was hospitalized. Unfortunately I don't have medical expertise in this area but I just wanted to say that I am praying for you and Keith and as always I am thinking about you.

Love,

Laurie

Carleen,

I have a girlfriend who suffered from pancreatitis for years. She would be in the hospital for up to a month at a time for it. She had her pacreas removed and is on insulin now. She said she wished she had done it years ago. The insullin is a breeze compared to the pain she was constantly in.

Good luck in getting this resolved for Keith.

Shirleyb

Carleen

I am sorry the news isn't better and I am glad it isn't worse. And I am really sorry the pain is returning. I know someone who had partial removal of the pancreas and someone who had surgery to remove a blockage that turned out not to be cancer. Partial removal is much easier on the body, so you might check with the Doctors to find out if that is possible--or even to just remove the blockage.

Here's hoping for better days ahead. Think of you often and your dear Keith.

love

elaine

Carleen

I am sorry the news isn't better and I am glad it isn't worse. And I am really sorry the pain is returning. I know someone who had partial removal of the pancreas and someone who had surgery to remove a blockage that turned out not to be cancer. Partial removal is much easier on the body, so you might check with the Doctors to find out if that is possible--or even to just remove the blockage.

Here's hoping for better days ahead. Think of you often and your dear Keith.

love

elaine

Carleen,

I too have a friend that had a major case of pancreatitis. Had the surgery to remove part of the pancreas. He is now on insulin but he is alive and kicking and living a normal life.

The recovery was long and hard but was definitely worth it.

Keith has been knocked down too many times. It is his turn for good news.

Carleen, you and your cute husband are always in my prayers. We miss your posts.

Love,

Carleen, I met a man several years ago who had had his pancreas removed and he was doing fine. I was surprised because I always thought you couldn't live without one. Well, apparently you can. One does have to take medications to give the body what the pancreas normally gave it. I am so sorry Keith continues to have pain, and I hope that will be taken care of soonest. Don

Carleen, I am so sorry for all that has been going on with you and Keith.

I can concur with Don, Ginny, Elaine and Shirley. My mother-in-law had her Pancreas removed, she had pancreatic cancer, and since she was already diabetic, they just had to adjust her insulin. I was also unaware that someone could live without a pancreas-the human body is an amazing thing. My prayers are with you and Keith, please keep us informed when you can, and know we are all with you in thought and spirit. Take care, Deb

Carleen,

The procedure to remove your pancreas is called the Whipple procedure. It takes a long time to recover from it. I will try an internet search and send you a link. Seems like, as Berisa suggested, that they could do a PET scan to determine for sure if it is likely to be cancer. Based on what Keith has been through, I think you should move quickly even if it means exploratory surgery to determine for sure if it is cancer.

Obviously, I am not a medical expert. But, my mother-in-law died of pancreatic cancer so I have some knowledge/experience. It is a tough organ to deal with. Keith is in relatively good physical shape, which is a big plus. I will continue praying for you both and for the doctors to have a clear path forward to help. Take care.

The Whipple procedure is not the same as a partial or total pancreatectomy. The Whipple is much more involved and carries higher risk of complications because it involves changing the intestinal "plumbing" as well and is usually done for people with pancreatic cancer. These are usually people who are in pretty bad shape when they go into surgery. Carleen, I suggest you do not read up on Whipple procedure because the stats are much more dire than those for pancreatectomy.

That said, the others are correct that one can easily live without a pancreas. A total pancreatectomy will make Keith diabetic, but that can be managed. Also, with a total pancreatectomy, the digestive enzymes normally produced in the pancreas will have to be taken orally. No big deal.

As others have said, it may be possible to do a subtotal (partial) pancreatectomy and avoid all of the above. Once he is feeling better, there are endoscopic methods of getting into the duct that empties the pancreas and perhaps relieving the blockage that way. (Called an ERCP.) So it may be a simpler matter than major surgery.

Hope this info is useful. Keeping you in my prayers, Teresa

Carleen,

Hope you can get this thing resolved QUICKLY 'cause it is my understanding that pancreatitis hurts like HE(double hockey sticks).

My dad had it a while back, it was hard.

Don't let them blow you off because it's not THEIR pain.

Find out what it is, a simple obstruction or something else requiring more surgery. After what Keith and you have already been through, you deserve to have this dealt with promptly so you can address the other issues.

Thank God Keith is young and strong!

You are in my prayers, I miss seeing you post and worry about you both.

XOXOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Prayers always

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I have a friend who has cancer of the pancreas. He had partial removal. After that, he said something like they "wrapped it" with Saran Wrap. I guess this is done to help the pancreas grow new good cells to replace what was taken away. Honest to gosh. This is fairly recent type of surgery.

He was in terrible health going in due to other factors (very underweight, previous drug use) but is doing okay. I know the inflammation was very painful and he was on morphine. The surgery was about 2 years ago.

I hope the fact that it can be partially removed helps. Also it could be complications caused by the pancreatic or biliary duct not emptying and not cancer of the pancreas.

My prayers are with you both. I understand how very painful this can be.

Cat

Carleen,

I have never heard of this before. I did a few searches and found the articles below.

I also read that pancreatic metastasis are pretty rare. Hopefully it is something like a gallstone, hypertriglyceridemia.

One article said it is virtually impossible to determine if it is a met vs other forms of pancreatitis with noninvasive means.

Praying for Keith and you

John

Unless the pancreatic duct or bile duct is blocked by gallstones, an acute attack usually lasts only a few days. In severe cases, a person may require intravenous feeding for 3 to 6 weeks while the pancreas slowly heals. This process is called total parenteral nutrition. However, for mild cases of the disease, total parenteral nutrition offers no benefit.

Before leaving the hospital, a person will be advised not to drink alcohol and not to eat large meals. After all signs of acute pancreatitis are gone, the doctor will try to decide what caused it in order to prevent future attacks. In some people, the cause of the attack is clear, but in others, more tests are needed.

----------------------------------

J Emerg Med. 1997 Sep-Oct;15(5):645-7. Related Articles, Links

Acute pancreatitis secondary to ifosfamide.

Gerson R, Serrano A, Villalobos A, Sternbach GL, Varon J.

Unidad de Quimioterapia, Hospital General de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico.

Acute pancreatitis in cancer patients can be secondary to the malignant process itself. It is also a rare complication of antineoplastic agent administration. Ifosfamide is an effective drug in the treatment of several tumors and has known neurologic, renal, and hematologic toxicities. There is only one recent report in the literature of pancreatitis associated with ifosfamide. We report a case of a 65-year-old woman with small cell bronchogenic carcinoma without pancreatic metastases who developed acute pancreatitis after ifosfamide administration.

Publication Types:

Case Reports

------------------------------------------------

J Korean Med Sci. 1999 Feb;14(1):107-9. Related Articles, Links

Metastasis-induced acute pancreatitis in a patient with small cell carcinoma of the lung.

Kim KH, Kim CD, Lee SJ, Lee G, Jeen YT, Lee HS, Chun HJ, Song CW, Um SH, Lee SW, Choi JH, Ryu HS, Hyun JH.

Department of Internal Medicine, Institute of Digestive Disease and Nutrition, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul.

Acute pancreatitis in cancer patients can be secondary to the malignant process itself or a complication of antineoplastic agent administration. We report a case of a 63-year-old man with small cell carcinoma of the lung, who developed acute pancreatitis lately. Thirteen months earlier, he developed small cell carcinoma of the lung and received 6 cycles of chemotherapy. Abdominal CT scan showed swelling of the pancreas with multiple masses. The patient was managed conservatively and pancreatitis subsided. This case indicates that metastasis induced acute pancreatitis can be a manifestation of lung cancer, especially in small cell carcinoma.

Publication Types:

Case Reports

PMID: 10102535 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Gallstones and Pancreatitis

Gallstones can cause pancreatitis and they usually require surgical removal. Ultrasound or a CAT scan can detect gallstones and can sometimes give an idea of the severity of the pancreatitis. When gallstone surgery can be scheduled depends on how severe the pancreatitis is. If the pancreatitis is mild, gallstone surgery may proceed within about a week. More severe cases may mean gallstone surgery is delayed for a month or more.

After the gallstones are removed and inflammation goes away, the pancreas usually returns to normal.

For more information about gallstones, please see the Gallstones fact sheet from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK).