the long road and unknown future....

Guest medgrrl

Guest medgrrl

Hello!

I have tried to post a few times but i would always press the wrong key or close the window by accident. I think it is because after 14 months of dealing with this I still can't believe it is really happening.

My mom was diagnosed 14 months ago with stage IV NSCLC with mets to liver and brain. She had a craniotomy, WBR, 6 cycles of carbo/gemcitabine, break, 4 cycles of velcade/taxotere and 2 cycles of taxotere. She responded well to all of them but her most recent set of scans shows numerous new brain mets. Feeling really discouraged and sad. She feels well today but we are all scared about what comes next. She just started iressa. new scans in a month to see if it is working. keeping my fingers crossed but also trying to be realistic about the situation.

Definitely feel like I need the support of this community and I thank you for the support I have already found here. I can't believe it took me so long to get here.

thank you for the help and support.

medgrrl,

Welcome to the club no one wants to belong to.

I am glad you're here, and sorry it took you so long to get here.

What a roller coaster ride emotionally you all have been on!

Keep us informed about your dear mother, please.

Let us help you anyway we can.

Prayers always for you and your family.

Hoping the Iressa does the trick.

XOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Sorry to hear about you Mother and hope things start getting better.

You have come to a great place for support and information. As you can see there are many survivors, caregivers, and family members here who will help you through this.

Hang in there.

Kate

I am very glad that you decided to post your and your Mom's story. I hope you will find support and comfort on the Board. We all know what you are going through and will walk with you every step of the way...it is never easy, but it is more doable when you are not doing it alone.

In the meantime, prayers,

Margaret

I am so sorry about your Mom. I know what you are going through because I have been there. I also know how sad you feel. I wish we could take that all away but we cant. What we can do is be of support to you and your Mom through this. I am praying the iressa works for her. Stand strong as it is a hard battle for the caregiver as well as the person with cancer. She will need you and as long as you give all that you can you will never have any regrets.

God Bless You and your Mom,

Jane

Let me add my welcome to those already here -- and I'm glad you finally posted. It's a bit hard to do that first one, but after that, it all flows....

Iressa can be fabulous, I know, so I'm hoping that it works for your mother. She's had (as have you) a tough time; it's natural to feel discouraged but keep on hoping and fighting -- the only way!

Let us know how it goes.

Ellen

Welcome to the best site for support and information for lung cancer. I hope your mother is doing well.

The only question I have, is that I am not sure that Iressa crosses the blood/brain barrier. There is a brain cancer drug, Temodar, that is being used for lc patients that have brain mets. It, like Iressa, is chemo in pill form. Might ask your mother's dr. about it.

Guest medgrrl

the outpouring of support is a blessing. thank you all so much.

in response to the question about iressa and the blood/brain barrier her doc has seen it work with brain mets and bulky disease. because her mets are early he feels we can wait one month. if it is not successful he plans to use temodar.

thank you again. i will post more frequently now!

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I'm glad that you did find us. You sure could use some TLC. Please continue to let us know how you and your mom are doing.

Take care,

Cat

It sounds like you have really been on a roller coaster ride like many of us here on the board. It sounds like you have a good doctor willing to try new things and keep an eye on your mother. If we can help just let us know. Keep us posted on how you and your mom are both doing.

Nina

Welcome to the journey. The trail is rough, but the companions are top notch.

I'm sure you'll find all the support you'll need and then some. Take comfort is sharing the load, there are many shoulders here to help bear your burden.

Becky

Sending you a bit belated welcome (I don't get on as much as I'd like) and a ((hug)) for you and your mom. We started out in the same category - Stage IV bone and brain mets - and it is such a rush that I'm not surprised you haven't posted yet. That dx doesn't leave time to catch a breath. We'll be here for you and looking forward to leading the cheering section for your mom. Take care....