Pain Control

Valerie

Hi everyone, well I have been away visiting my parents for the last couple of weeks and have had no access to a computer. I’m home now and thought I would let you know what’s been going on with me since my first post.

I had my Taxotere treatment, it went well, and I wasn’t nauseous, so far haven’t gotten the rash or Edema, just a little tired

For the past month I have been trying to get my medications adjusted for the bone mets pressing on the Sciatic nerve and now it appears that I might have the accompanying side effect of the bone and muscle pain to add on to it all.

My hips don’t seem to want to support my body or maybe it’s the pain of it that won’t let me in either case, I’m trying to get used to a wheelchair now.

The Doctor has given me Morphine capsules but I don’t think the med’s are working or the quantities are not right yet, I’ve been using 180mg Controlled Release and don’t know if that is a lot or not but the old Doc is slowly increasing (much to slowly in my opinion) I wish we could get it settled once and for all. Does anyone know something better I might suggest to him at my next appointment?

........................................Val

Hi Val,

Sorry to hear you have pain. My mom seemed to have better relief with the fentanyl patch than the morphine. Perhaps you could try that.

Faylene

Val, My doc all ways gives me a breakout pain med on top of the pain med, right now I take vicodin when the oxycontin isn't controlling th pain well, you might want to ask your doc about something like that. I learned not to be a hero with pain meds.

Valerie,

I am so sorry for your pain, my husband has the bone mets. I know they are very bad. He has the Durgesic patch(started at 75mg now up to 175mg!) plus 120mg of Oxycontin pain meds. It is a lot but at least he is now out of pain. He is paralyzed now and can't walk. We can't get him in a wheelchair because of the spine mets hurting so bad. If you can, get the 3D radiation on your bone mets. It will really alleviate the pain after a few doses. It will make a big difference. Good luck and God Bless.

Tess

Valerie,

I hope the pain subsides with the treatment. I don't have bone mets, but remember how bad my father suffered with the pain of them in his shoulder and spine. The moraphine seemed to help, but really knocked him out at times. I hope that you can find something to offer you relief.

Cheryl

Welcome back, Valerie. I think Lucie was taking 60mg twice a day of slow-release morphine while she was being treated with chemo and radiation. She is now down to 30mg twice a day. She has also had a breakthrough medication to take in betwee, such as morphine sulfate or Norco. Whenever she has had a bone met that gave a lot of pain, her onc recommended radiation of the spot, which was done, and that gave her a lot of relief. Best to you. Don

Dr. prescribed oxcycotin and it made my husband sick. He can take it for 2 days and on the 3rd day he gets very sick. So he had to quit taking it. We felt is was doing more harm than good. Bless his heart he is going without pain meds all day and taking a slight pain med at night to help sleep that doesn't make him sick.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions ,I will be mentioning all of them and see what the doctor has to say about the different types that can be used.

I'm hoping that like Lucie the radiation will help with the pain and I won't have deal with so much pain.

.......................................................Val

Wayne's bone scan on July 14th showed increased bone mets to his hips, shoulders, spine and ribs. He was given a treatment of Quadramet on July 22. It's a "liquid radiation" and it goes directly to the bone mets and from what I understand, helps to get rid of cancerous tissue in the bones so that the bones can heal. The rad. onc. said that this treatment can cause lots of pain in the few first days -and it has- but that just means it's working.

Quadramet is long lasting and can be taken 3-4 times/year. The pain is supposed to improve within a week, so we'll see.

You might want to talk to your dr. about this treatment. I haven't found much information about it but it's been available for several years. I'll let you know if it works for Wayne.

Roanna

I am so sorry for your pain. I hope you find relief soon. It sounds like you have had a rough time and I can only pray that is gets better soon.

Let us know how you are doing...and if your doc won't order enough pain meds, may I suggest you find one that will?

Nina

Dear Val,

I hope you can get relief from the pain.

When I was first hospitalized before starting chemo, I was on a combination of Fentanyl patch, MS contin (low dose -- 60 mg 3 x day), and Vioxx. It was heaven to achieve absolute relief. Chronic pain is exhausting. I hope you feel much better soon.

XOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Prayers always

Val,

So sorry your dealing with those darn painful bone mets. Steve uses MS Contin (30 mg) and liquid morphine (Roxinol - sp?) for breakthru pain. One thing that is always emphasized to us is to stay ahead of the pain, particularly when using a timed release med like MS Contin. Good luck!