VENTING: Room Temperature

stand4hope

VENTING:

Before cancer, my husband was always hot. He was one of these guys that got mad if I closed the windows at night when it was in the low 50s or upper 40s. He turned the furnace down every night to 62 degrees and sat in the recliner in the morning watching the weather wearing only his undershorts. I would get up freezing. He also turned the air conditioner on at the first sign of heat and humidity. We've always kept the house about 70 to 72 in the summer.

Now, he is JUST THE OPPOSITE. He is always cold. I know it's because of the cancer and that he has lost weight, but he just about runs me out of the house. I came home from work the other night and he had the air conditioner turned up and it was 78 degrees in here. Today, it's only 67 degress outside, but humid because it's been raining all day. It is 75 degrees in the house and humid. I told him it was hot in here and he said, angrily: "IT'S YOU, PEGGY!" He thinks it's because of hot flashes. Hot flashes or not, it's hot and stuffy in here. I'm sitting at my desk in a loose cotton night gown, with my hair pinned up with a fan blowing right on me - and I'M NOT HAVING HOT FLASHES! I have told him now on two different occasions that he should put on a sweatshirt or go buy some sweaters. I guess that isn't macho, huh?

Like I said, I'm venting, but I just wondered if any of you that have cancer and have lost weight are cold all the time, or if you are the caregiver if your spouse/loved one is cold all the time. Do you live under the same roof? If so, how do you solve this dilemma. It's making me crazy!!

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

Alan was the opposite. He has always been so lean that he was cold when everyone else was hot. Then he got the sweats and was hot all the time and the rest of us told him it wasent hot that it must be due to his medication or his cancer. Toward the end though he got cold again and the sweating stopped and it was so hot in a room and we desperatly wanted a window open but he constantly closed them saying he was cold. No, I did not live with him at this time but I spent many days and nights in Maine uncomfortable because of it. I dont know the answer to your question but I always told Alan even before he had cancer you can always put more on there is only so much I can take off!! Good Luck my Friend

God Bless,

Jane

Peggy,

I haven't lost the weight, but I am so cold most of the time that the cold radiates from me. I have severe night sweats, too, but they aren't "hot" flashes...just drenching, cold sweats. My teeth actually chatter sometimes, and it's in the high 70s and low 80s.

It helps a little if I drink warm liquids (herbal teas, that kind of thing). If nothing else it feels good to hold on to the warm cup. :wink:

A friend of mine made some "hot pads" for me out of new hand towels and rice. She folded the hand towels in half and sewed the edges on two sides, filled the opening with rice about half full, then sewed the opening shut. I put them in the microwave and nuke for about 1 minute. I keep one on my feet and then curl up in a fleece blanket. You have to be careful though because depending upon your microwave you could actually heat these things up so hot they burn you. I also have a small one I hold that helps to keep my hands warm.

Hope this helps.

Peggy, I am going through the same thing , my husband is always cold and he closes the windows up also, I went yesterday morning to get my hair done and it was about 72 out side I walked in the house and he had closed the windows and put the furnace on it was 72 in the house and he put the furnace on 76 he said he was freezing needless to say I fixed me lunch and got a glass of tea and went on the front porch and ate and then I cut the grass, washed the car pulled weeds stayed outside as long as I could. I to tell him to put warm clothes on or put his longjohns on(lol). I woke up this morning with the furnance running and I was wringing wet with sweat. So you are not alone. I just grin and bare it and go out side alot. I just hate to be closed up in the summer time. Good luck to you. Charolette

Well, I have a theory that people with different internal thermostats marry each other! Actually, things have not changed since the cancer or the chemo. Lucie likes it ice cold in the house and I like it warmer. Guess who wins out? My kids say they don't know how I live in such a chilly place. Well, I figure I can put on clothes and cover with a blanket easier than she can uncover to be comfortable. We also have fans all over the house and, even with the air conditioning on in the summer, she likes to have the fans on high. I don't know of a solution for both of us except for me to cover up! Good luck. Don

It is the same for us. Jim is cold and I am hot. Jim had the furnace on yesterday. At first I would just suffer and make him comfortable but now I tell him to put on more clothes, I can't stand it. Actually, I give him a bit of an edge but we have to meet somewhere near the middle. He can warm up but I can't cool off but so much. I like that rice pillow idea.

Good to hear from you. Margaret

For anyone having trouble staying warm ... have your blood pressure checked! I would (and still do) get VERY cold sometimes no matter what the outside temperature is. Welp, turns out it's do to low blood pressure. And wearing more clothes or getting under a blanket or two doesn't help a bit when I get that cold because the cold is due to what is going on inside my body, not what's going on outside it.

What DOES help to get warm again is take a hot bath or shower. A LONG hot bath or shower. That way the heat "soaks in" (literally) and starts getting me warm from the inside out. After the shower I'm much better. A room that was almost unbearably cold before the shower will be very confortable or even a bit warm for a few hours afterward.

Dean

Peggy,

Cancer does make your body temperature vary. When I was on chemo, I was so cold. I had tons of blankets on me in mid summer. Jack couldn't sleep with me cause I could stand to have the ceilng fan on and it is so hot in my room without it. I am with DeanCarl, a hot bath really does the trick for me when I am cold. Hope you find comfort soon! Ha!

Cheryl