A new Tim McGraw song...

Snowflake

I've heard this on the radio a few times and finally found a site with all the lyrics...how many of us can relate to this?

Live Like You Were Dying

Tim McGraw

He said I was in my early forties

with a lot of life before me

when a moment came that stopped me on a dime

and I spent most of the next days

looking at the x-rays

Talking bout the options

and talking bout sweet time

I asked him when it sank in

that this might really be the real end

how's it hit you when you get that kinda news

man what'd you do

and he said

I went sky diving

I went Rocky Mountain climbing

I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named BluManchu

and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter

and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying

and he said someday I hope you get the chance

to live like you were dying.

He said I was finally the husband

that most the time I wasn't

and I became a friend a friend would like to have

and all the sudden going fishin

wasn't such an imposition

and I went three times that year I lost my dad

well I finally read the good book

and I took a good long hard look

at what I'd do if I could do it all again

and then

I went sky diving

and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter

and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying

Like tomorrow was a gift and you got eternity to think about

what'd you do with it what did you do with it

what did I do with it

what would I do with it'

Sky diving

and then I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter

and I watched an eagle as it was flying

To live like you were dying

Oh Becky..........I first heard this song on some country music awards show. Tim McGraw sang it live. As I sat there listening, I was crying like a baby. When Dad first was diagnosed, all I did was sit around and hold his x-rays up to the light hoping that the dr.'s were wrong. Every time I hear this song on the radio, I have to turn it.............unless I'm up for a REALLY GOOD crying session. It is a beautiful song.........I just can't hardly listen to it.

Angie

Does anyone know if Tim wrote this song after his father's (Tug McGraw) brain cancer diagnoses?

Being a Philly girl, Tug McGraw (Phillies player) was a legend around these parts and his diagnoses hit the hometown fans hard. Tim and his wife Faith worked hard to get Tug the best treatments possible and he was doing well for a while, but things took a downward turn all too quickly.

In any event, it's a beautiful song. Thanks for sharing, Becky.

I am so glad you posted the words to this song. I had been wanting to do this but it kept slipping my mind. Everytime I hear this song, my eyes tear up. There were so many things that Dennis wanted to do after his diagnosis that he wasn't able to do. You see, Dennis never asked the doctor how much time he had. I did asked but never shared the dismal answer of only a few months with Dennis. You could have knocked his oncologist over with a feather when, in September (only 3 months prior to his death) Dennis asked the oncologist if he could go ahead and plan his annual hunting trip to Colorado. The doctor's eyes immediately shifted to mine and I shook my head. The doctor then did some really quick thinking. He said "the cancer in your spine has us very worried about spinal cord compression. The jolt from the rifle could paralyze you." Then, Dennis also thought quickly and said he'd use a different gun. Then the doctor asked how he would get to the camp,high in the Rocky mountains. Dennis replied that he would go on horseback. This was another problem with the doctor, as he told Dennis the horses could have ticks and Dennis had no immune system strong enough to fight off this type of infection. Once again, Dennis had a plan. Finally, after 20 minutes of back and forth, Dennis looked at me with his huge brown eyes and said..."Well, maybe you can just drive me out for a week." Well, I regret to this day that I didn't do that! I was so wrapped up in chemo treatments and worrying about how I would handle it if became really ill while we were traveling that I denied Dennis his real last wish! I should have been more realistic about the situation and have seen how fast he was declining! I should have then stopped the treatments and let him live the remainder of his life as he wished, while he had the strength to do so! So, this song stirs all of those memories in me each time I hear it.