Does God Make Mistakes?

Amy P

Guest bean_si (Not Active)
Though sometimes in the face of certain beauty, it has all seemed so simple... and then as soon as I have tried to grasp the simplicity in order to put thought or word to it, it disappears...

"It is like the water of the ocean: even without wind there are waves

everywhere. Suddenly knowing of the waves all around is the gross within

the subtle; letting go of knowledge in the midst of knowing is like the

subtle within the subtle. This is the sphere of the enlightened." -Pai-chang

Cat

I think one of the things that converts the people like CS Lewis, the people who start into the Bible trying to disprove it, is ultimately the purity and wisdom of Jesus. I relate well to Lewis because his spiritual journey is much like my own. I grew up very devout. Then in college, it became clear to me that the Bible was not entirely factual. It has mistakes like the ones I talked about earlier. And being an all or nothing kinda guy, since I couldn't choose all, I chose nothing.

What called me back to faith was relatively simple. I believe the Sermon on the Mount to be the highest achievement of ethical thught in our history. Ditto the story of the Good Samaritan. And so even if all the history presented in the Bible is false, even if Jesus never lived but was the invention of cunning Jewish missionaries, even if the most outrageous claims about him are true, somebody had to write those stories, and whoever did that touched the heart of God. Those things are true and divine. And so the most plausible explanation is that Jesus said them.

It was for me something like Descartes. He was finally able to prove to himself his own existence by his ability to doubt his existence. And once he knew he existed, the existence of the rest of the world was relatively easy. For me, I established that the Bible contains truth because of the truth inherent in the teachings of Jesus - at the time especially the Good Samaritan story - and once I had one true and divine thing, then I could be called back into a life of faith.

Curtis

Curtis i can not speak as to the table deminsion's but i do understand that there were mistranslation's over the centuries in recording the Bible as one example would be the term Angel and Heaven...Angel in many passages of the Bible refer to a messenger from God or one who deliver's a message from GOD and the other meaning is a spiritual creature created by GOD for GOD but through the centuries the word Angel has come to mean the latter.

As for the differences on what the Apostle's recorded as to Christ last word's to me it is obvious that they wrote the word's that most affected them.One could look at it as 3 friend's standing on a street corner and see a horrible accident.Ask any police officer if the three describe what happened the same way and the officer will tell you that they did indeed see the same accident but each gave their personal testimony such as one heard the victim cry old for help,another heard the victim cry out in pain while the third maybe heard the victim curse in pain but the fact is they did see the same scene but noticed different aspect's of it...

As to logical explanation's there are those who feel that it is quite logical that the ancient's were using description's that they were familiar with to try and describe thing's that to them were totally strange and beyond anything they could have naturally imagined.Thus you have a portion of the public who believe all the supernatural experiences recorded by the Bible writer's are extraterrestial (UFO)

Anyway to finish up this discourse by me ,the Gospel's (good new's) differences only go to fill in the missing pieces to each gospel and thus compliment and support each other.One must also consider with logic what was it in this teaching that the Apostle's and thousand's of other's who followed them that made them so willing to lay there lives down for.

Larry

Let no person decieve himself. If anyone among you supposes that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool [let him discard his worldly discernment and recognize himself as dull, stupid and foolish, without true learning and scholarship], that he may become [really] wise. For this world's wisdom is foolishness (absurdity and stupidity) with God, for it is written, He lays hold of the wise in their [own] craftiness; and again, The Lord knows the thoughts and reasonings of the [humanly] wise and recognizes how futile they are. So let no one exult proudly concerning men [boasting of having this or that man as a leader], for all things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephus (Peter), or the universe or life or death, or the immeadiate and threatening present or the [subsequent and uncertain] future-all are yours, and you are Christ's, and Christ is God's. Hebrews 3:18-23