mets?

Tami

I know we've been down this road before and I'm sorry to bring this up again. I've read all the previous posts but for those of you with mets I'd appreciate your input. My pneumonectomy was 2 yrs ago, and before that were two additional chest surgeries, plus 2 six week rounds of chemo and 12 wks of Rads. I don't go to the doctor for follow-up... I know I should etc. but I can't. Mentally, physically whatever I can't do it. I will go for a regular physical, mamograms, if I have a cold etc. But when they mention my cancer I totally clam up and say everything is fine and I don't want to talk about it. When I had my pneumonectomy 2 yrs ago my tumor was a little different then most (they screwed up my diagnosis.. HMO's stink!) and they told me I was fine now. No additional treatment, don't need to see my oncologist again, just have a chest x-ray once a year. Well I had one last year and it showed 2 broken ribs (one displaced) one was from the surgery where they had removed a large portion of my rib for testing. The other (the displaced rib) they thought was one of the ones they broke to remove the lung and somehow I jarred it out of place. After that x-ray I haven't done a thing since.

Which brings me to where I am today. I believe I have some lymphedema as well as chest/breast edema. I have swelling in my arm and chest-I also have some pain. What I'm trying to do (to be honest) is distingush the difference in my own mind about the pain from edema from the pain of a met. I know from reading past posts that some mets never hurt and they were found by accident. (I remember Don talking about Lucie's) but for those of you who have painful mets how do they feel? Does it come and go? Does heat/ice help? Is it a down deep pain or a surface pain? Does it hurt more when you use it? I still do everything I did before-I've moved furniture, mow grass with the ancient push mower etc. and it never really hurts--not a bone pain. It just feels swollen and sore. I know I should go have it checked but I also know that I won't--at least not right now. So I'd appreciate anyones input on how mets feel. Thanks--

Tami,

I don't think I or any other layperson could possibly "diagnose" your pain as mets or not from a description briefly given, when you will not see your doctor.

Part of the change of life after cancer diagnosis is the vigilance of followup.

I would recommend you call your doctor and make an appointment for a thorough followup. Otherwise you will mentally continue to torture yourself with imagined things -- better to know, I think.

Good luck

MaryAnn

Tami,

This doesn't sound like a boo-boo that can be kissed and go away in a few days. Do you think you're afraid because of what they might find? Do you think you are going to have to go through all that painful surgery again? Did you just hate the treatments? None of us can possibly know what that little critter is that's holding you back, but find out what it is and squash it just like you would squash a bug on your kitchen floor.

Please get yourself checked out.

Praying for you,

Peggy

Tami,

Please call your doctor NOW. This is not a case of "out of sight/out of mind." You need to know what you're dealing with here and not knowing is not making your life any easier. Cancer meds and care are changing all the time and you need to take advantage of everything out there. Please don't delay :!:

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Hey Tami,

I'm having something of the same problem. I was supposed to have a follow up months ago but the discovery of my lung cancer interfered. :( I forced myself to call for a breast sonogram (not mammogram) The last time was an unpleasant experience so together with my fear of mets, I'm shaking. But I'm doing it. You too Tami. Come on, don't leave me alone in my fear. Jump right in. We can swim together. I'll pray for you and you pray for me.

Cat

P.S. The sonogram is today. :shock:

Tami,

I agree that it would be impossible to diagnose your situation without seeing and talking with you. You should see your doctor. It is certainly possible that your pain is a result of you surgical procedures and lymph edema. Your doctor can arrange physical therapy to treat your lymph edema and that will possible make your pain better it that is the cause of it.

Robert Woodburn M.D.

Tami,

Go see a doctor. No one can diagnose you without knowing more and maybe running some tests. Part of the "new life" we have after being dx'd with cancer is the follow ups. None of us like them. And there is always fear associated with them...but, its the only way to stay on top of this disease. I will continue to send good thoughts your way that when you do go the the doctor he finds something easily treated.

Nina