New here. Dad with Lung cancer.

3boys4amy

Hi everyone. I am Amy, a stay at home mother to three wonderful boys and wife to Jeff who is in the Navy. We live in Florida. My dad, who lives in West Virginia, had his bronchoscopy today. The tumor is malignant. That is about all I know. It is a 5.7 x 6.3 cm tumor. Can anyone tell me what that means? Also, it is centrally located in his right lung at the entrance from the bronchial tubes. The doctor thinks it might be inside the tubes as well. She thought she felt swelling in his lymph nodes last week on examination. He is 59 years old, ex smoker. Smoked 40 years at at least 1 1/2 packs a day, sometimes more. He also has black lung from working in the coal mines. I know there will be many tests to come. What is the general order of things once a definite diagnosis is made? I am still unsure of the type of LC it is though. Thanks for any info you can give me. I am scared and worried. I live so far away from him and I can't bare to see him go through this alone.

Hi, Amy, and welcome. Sorry about your dad. You don't have to have black lung or have smoked to get lung cancer. My wife is a non-smoker. But I imagine your dad's history can complicate the situation.

Mky wife's lung cancer had moved from the left lung out to the bones before it was discovered so I can't answer your specific questions about the lung.

Is your dad living alone? You sort of inferred that in your note. He really needs someone to be with him and take him through this, a family member or a friend. He will need a lot of support and some other eyes and ears.

After diagnosis, some plan will be outlined on how to treat the cancer. If the cancer is contained in the lung, surgery is usually recommended. If it is outside the lung (e.g., lymph nodes, bones) chemotherapy and perhaps radiation would be recommended.

Treatment of lung cancer is a hard road, with many ups and downs. You can see that by reading the posts here. But there is always hope. Let us know how we can support you in this and keep us posted on yourself and your dad. Don

Hi Amy,

I am sorry to hear about your Dad, I know that being so far apart is hard on both of you. Don, has covered about all that can be said at this point. I can only give you hope by saying three years ago the doctors only gave me three months, but I'm still here, so never give up hope.

Most important don't let your Father give up hope, for when you do the road is fast and can only go down hill. Prayer seems to be the best med., it will strengthen the hope and give him something to hang on to. My prayers are with you both. Please keep us informed and if we can help in someway please let us know.

In Christ,

Greg

The first option is always surgery if possible. But if it is into the bronchus that is probably not likely. Ditto with the lymph nodes. So there will probably be some combination of radiation and chemotherapy. There are dozens of drugs used for chemo these days.

The first distinction in lung cancer is between small cell and non-small cell. My wife had non-small cell, so that is what I am talking about. Someone else I am sure can talk about small cell, which is usually not treated with surgery, I think.

Make sure to be referred to an oncologist, and make sure all of your doctors are on the same page with how treatment will proceed. Best wishes to you and your family.

Curtis

Hi Amy and WELCOME! I'm sorry to hear about your dad, but so glad you were one of the lucky ones that found this site.

There are so many people here that really, really care and will give you all the advice you need or want. I know you're scared - that's normal. We all were very scared the first couple of weeks after diagnosis, but it gets a lot better. We're all STILL scared, but it's amazing how much having this site to come to helps numb that fear.

In addition, you will hear much more hope here than you will ever hear on the outside or on the internet. I roamed the internet night and day for months after my husband's diagnosis and all I found was bad news. Then one day, I was searching for some lc topic (I don't remember what it was) and ran across this site. What a God-send it has been. Stick around and keep us posted. We will do anything we can to help you get through this.

God bless you,

Peggy

Welcome Amy,

I am sorry to hear about your Dad. I know how scary it all is. He definantly needs to be living with someone and not alone. There are people on here that live alone but that is not an ideal situation. You have found the best place on the net for support and knowledge. You have also found a very large extended family that loves and cares about one another. Welcome to our family. Your Dad and you are in my prayers.

God Bless you both,

Jane

Hi Amy,

Just wanted to take a moment and welcome you. This is such an overwhelming time and you're already getting good info from the folks here. I would suggest that whoever goes with your dad take a microcassette recorder with them for all the doctor visits, then send the tape to you. My siblings always do this with my parents and then the rest of us can know exactly what is going on. Steve and I also did it for his doctor visits in the beginning because there is so much information and emotionally you are in a tough place to take it all in. As you get more informed of your dad's dx, then you will have some directions to follow in your research. Take a deep breath, it's quite a ride.

Amy,

Smoker or non-smoker, whatever caused the cancer is now water under the bridge. There are probably some complications involved with Black Lung and smoking and treating lung cancer, but as long is the doctor is aware of history, there is surely SOME path to follow.

I had surgery to remove my non-small cell tumor and there was lymph node involvement - but that wasn't discovered until during the surgery. There are people on the board that had spread to lymph nodes, went through chemo and/or radiation and THEN had surgery (Andrea's mom comes to mind). Surgery is then followed with other other treatments - or not. Some on here that have had surgery haven't had any follow-up treatments since (just monitoring). Some have had surgery followed by chemo and/or radiation. All cases are different...

DavidC is fighting small cell. I don't live with that particular monster so I can't offer you real specifics on treatment options.

Welcome to the family.

Becky

Hi Amy,

Welcome, and glad your dad is "with you".

Please, let us answer your questions and help you both through this.

I think the tape recorder is a good idea. Send your dad a list of questions for him to ask the doctor as well.

Information is your best weapon against this nasty beast.

Keep us up to date,

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

Hi Amy and welcome!

I have Small Cell, extensive stage, which is equivilent to stage 3b or 4 Non Small Cell lung cancer. Small Cell, limited means it is in only one lung and hasn't spread. Limited is treated with both chemo and radiation, Extensive is treated with chemo only. Surgery is very seldom an option with Small Cell as it grows so fast and mets so easily. I had six rounds of the standard chemo combination for Small Cell and am currently NED (No Evidence of Disease).

It is a hard and scary road to have any kind of lung cancer. I too hope your Dad has someone there to help him through this. Hang out with us and we will help you through this.

Blessings

Betty

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jherrrn
:? Hi! Iam new here too! My father was just diagnosed as well. :cry: I am at a total loss of what questions to ask, or who to ask. I think just by saying ahhhhhhhhh, actually screaming ahhhhhhhh pretty much sums up how I feel inside, however, I am the one who has to keep it all together for the family.They all rely on me to interpet what the doc says into laymans terms. I don't know what is next, what to do????

Yes, welcome both of you...not that th is is a place that you would ever WANT to be. But if you have to, it's truly a godsend.

The tape recorder is a terrific suggestion. Are you the only child? Are there others who can share in this? It's so important to have people rallying around and so difficult when you're all at different ends of the country. You might want to see if there is a cancer support group near your dad...he's probably like my husband and would rather DIE than go to such a group but if you contact them, they might have ideas. Also the visiting nurses, social workers attached to the local medical facilities might be able to help.

Keep in touch with us all-.

Ellen

Welcome Amy ..and Jen too! This mus be very hard on you both. My daughter Karen, (who is a member on he board, "Karen and Kids") may be able to help you both. She lives in Michigan and her Dad and I live in California, she ofen feels bad about being so far away, but she keeps in touch with everyhing that goes on. Maybe she will see his post but if not I am sure she wouldn't mind you sending a PM. Positive thoughts going out to you both. Paddy

Guest jherrrn

well thanks for your wecome. :cry: unfortunately today I got more bad news about my dad. We found out that there is a spot on his liver. :x I feel so distressed, and thats putting it mildly, that this wasn't cought sooner. His clinic was treating him for pneumonia for about 3 weeks, before I asked to go to another doc. I feel so lost at what to do to help. Thanks for letting me vent here. well I think someone wrote a pm, I can't find it so just send any notes to my e-mail, its in my profile

I can truly feel your pain. I'm sorry for the updated news. My mom's SCLC has already mast to her liver and in her spine/bones. She was diagnosed in May. My brother sister and I were trying to get her down to the oasis center in mexico, but she wasn't sure about leaving the us, so we sent her to Dr. Brody in Reno who specializes in alternative treatment. She already went through 6 weeks of radiation and has to have chemo the rest of her life. Her liver is 4x the normal size because of the number of tumors. Last night she called me from reno after she met with the doc and told me there was nothing they could do for her. My heart broke in a million pieces and someone just punched me in the chest. My eyes are so swollen from crying I can barely see the computer screen. She wants to travel and see egypt before she passes. She is also going to come out to calif to see her granddaughters and my new husband that she has never met yet. I'm planning my 7th trip to (since may) colorado next week so I can just hang out with her and hold her hand. She is so worried about how I am taking this. I think the hardest part for me is death is so final and there is a d--- thing you can do about it. I imagine the alternative would be more painful, not knowing love, which is the reason why we hurt so bad. I can only believe the God has bigger plans for such an incredible person that he feels it's necessary to take her from us. Now it's just like watching an hourglass, wondering when the time is going to run out. Thanks for listening and I hope I'm not making you feel worse, that was not my intension.

God Bless

Julie

Welcome, what a beautiful family. Hope we can be of some help. My husband was in the Navy for yrs and this meant we were not able to be with family at times like this. It is hard. I just want to add that a CT generally is only the begining of all the tests that are done. They do bone scans, pulmonary function tests, biopsies, etc. You generally have to meet with not only a pulmonologist, but an onocologist, and a radiation doctor. perhaps a surgeon if you are operable. Lots of tests , then a plan is set. Keep us posted. Donna G

Hi Amy,

My das was also newly diagnosed over the past few months. Don't have much info for you but want you to know that you are not alone in this! People on this board have been so helpful to me, I'd love to do the same for someone else! Make sure you get as much info as possible. Has he had a biopsy yet?

Tammy