gail p-m Posted June 10, 2003 Share Posted June 10, 2003 I'm seeking your help once again being a "newbie" on this board. I wrote recently about my 79 year old Dad. He has had a recurrence of cancer that was incoperable and may be in the bone. We will know next week whether it's in the bone or not. When he initially had his lung cancer, they removed a lobe and did no further treatment. This time, he'll obviously have treatment -- chemotherapy and radiation if its in the lung and just chemo if it is in the bone. ((Oncologist said radiation would be used for pain if it became an issue in the bones later on)). I always hear people talking about a 2nd opinion. When do you seek one? AT this point, my father likes his oncologist and has faith in whatever he decides. Should I be pushing for a second opinion at this point ie. right after he gets the first opinion (when all the tests are done and we know exactly what we are treating) or do we leave the second opinion for now??? I realize that if he were not responding to treatment or if the doctors gave up on him, then a second opinion would be warranted but do most people go for a 2nd opinon before they start treatment. Yes, I'm a little contused but it's been a long day. Please clarify for me. Thanks again for helping out. I don't know what I'd do if you people weren't there. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.