Our friend, Bob is so discouraged..

NellW

He finally went for his MRI last night and they only did his lower back, which is not really where this awful pain is. :x It's in his pelvis area and upper legs. The pain is not changing much even with meds. I can't believe they did the lower spine only. I imagine it will not show anything and then what??? Poor guy. I wish I could call his gp and insist on more imaging! He won't let me of course :roll:

We probably won't even hear anything from the MRI till Monday.

Sometimes it seems as though it takes forever to get help.

Hope you are all having a pain free and peaceful day.

xxoo Praying for all.

Nell,

My husband had a very bad headache. He went to an ENT doc who ordered a sinus CT. He told him he had a crooked nose (deviated septum) and wanted to do surgery. I won't repeat what my husband told the ENT doc.

He then went to our family doctor who sent him for an MRI of his NECK! The reason was because he had a minor nerve problem in his neck a couple of years ago, so the doc thought that might be causing his headache. I told my husband - Look, the pain is in your head - your head, not your neck. Call the doctor and have him change the order to HEAD and neck. He called the next day and our doc was out, but he finally got one of the other doctors to order it. Guess what - 8 brain mets and here we go down this path. If he hadn't called and requested that head MRI, the swelling (edema) was so bad in my husband's brain, he could have died in a few days. He had so much edema, that huge areas in his MRI were totally white.

Tell your friend this story and see if you can talk him into asking for an MRI, bone scan, PET (or all three) in his pelvic/hip area.

Peggy

I've been thinking about "denial" and the fact that it sometimes takes so long to get a dX or a lot of persistence to get a dx. I am trying to put the best light on the situation in order to ease my own feelings of anger over a few "missed opportunities" at being Dxed sooner. Maybe Drs don't want to think the worst. Maybe they want to think it's something simple like a deviated septum. Maybe they don't want to find something bad. I know it's their job and I am not excusing them, but I am just trying to understand why these things happen. It's awful tiring to be angry about something that can't be changed. But anyway, persist. I know I wanted very much to believe it was "probably nothing"-- a little arthritis in the knees.

elaine

There was a thread a while ago on misdiagnosis which was quite popular. I think many of us have gone down that route. You tell Bob that those doctors work for him and right now they don't appear to be doing their job. So give them a kick in the butt and make them find some real answers. It's very empowering to take control of the helm!

Nell,

My husband has back problems. Real problems, he had two fusions a decade or so ago. Just recently, he thought he had pinched a nerve in his back, he's done that before...but this time, it wasn't easing with ibuprofen and the doctor wanted more tests (he now sees my doctor and is no longer an HMO user). His complaint was pain in his side and down his leg...

So he was sent for an MRI of the lower back. The nerves for the lower part of the body run through the spinal cord - through the back. One place where they can be pinched is in the lower spine, above the tailbone.

My point? Hell, I lost it soon into the second paragraph...let me try to find it again... Oh yeah, if acting on symptoms of pain in the leg(s), a doctor would probably be seeking information on higher up in the nervous system - the spine. I guess the kind of tests performed would be based on the type of pain the patient is experiencing - shooting/stabbing pain versus deep bone aches, etc.

If sent to a neurosurgeon from the results of the MRI, one question that is asked is if the patient has a history of lung cancer....(I just filled one of the questionnaires out for Mark).

Just an opinion (and by no means a professional one)...

Becky

PS There is much rejoicing in our house, Mark saw the neurosurgeon yesterday and there will be no THIRD back surgery. He'll be heading to Rehab soon....

Hi Friends, Doc office called Bob today and told him his PSA was 9.5, and they want an ultra sound and probably a biopsy.. IN NINE DAYS! :x His wife sent an email to their doc today and chronicled all they have been through with this pain and all in the last 6 weeks, and is hoping they will move up the tests. Will let you know what happens. Don't even know if nsclc mets to protate.

xxoo

Well, at least it's something....but how casual can you be? If I were they, I would be raising a ruckus you wouldn't believe -- and I'm not an aggresive person. It's great that you're still in there trying to help them negotiate their way through all this -- someone has to do it!

Ellen

Nell, so sorry to hear about all the pain Bob is in. I know my Buddy had pain since day one till hospice gave him morphine. Not saying Bob needs that but there is meds to take away the pain while trying to find out the prob. I get very upset when a cancer patient is in pain and they don't give the right meds for it but beat around the bush.

Hope the new scans help find his prob. don't know if lc mets to the prostrate. I hope it didn't for his sake.