Requesting a hall pass...

Ok everyone, I'm officially checking out for a week. Alex and I are heading off to be alone for a few days and to get away from the phone, the phone, the phone. It never stops ringing. I feel so loved - the outpouring of love and support is incredible but I'm on an emtional overload and need a break. I'm probably going to be swamped tomorrow cleaning house for the house sitter and finishing up some packing but wanted to make sure I checked out "officially". I went AWOL in June, not knowing the proper protocol...ha.

I've said this countless times but I'm grateful for you people. So grateful, you'll never know. I love being able to share my story and I love you all sharing yours.

Again, a standing ovation for each of you!

Take care and please pray that Alex and I have a safe trip. He's never flown before and I hate flying...what was I thinking?

Oh, Joni. I'm so glad you're getting away for a while. I'll be thinking about you and Alex, and of course, praying also. You are such a brave lady and so sweet to compliment all of us. We'll miss you while you're gone, so please post as soon as you can and let us know how your trip was and how both you and Alex are doing.

Much love and have a good time!

Peggy

Joni,

Even though I'm not qualified to issue hall passes yet, I'd vote for a lengthy one for you. You and Alex go and have a nice, restful breather and we'll be here for you when you get back. Give that big young man a hug from all his cyber family here and we're sending one to you too. Have a good trip :)

Joni,

We'll miss you, but this trip may be just what Alex needs -- your total, rested, undistracted attention. I'll be interested to hear what he asks you or tells you in your quiet times together on this trip.

Take care of Joni and Alex, and we'll look forward to hearing when you get back.

Pam

Joni,

Something to try while spending time with Alex and beginning the healing process:

Order room service and eat it sitting cross-legged on the bed - an impromptu picnic. It breaks SOOOOO many "rules" that you feel like co-conspirators... (Rule infringements: food in the bedroom, eating after dinner, food on the bed, "splurging" with money...)

When my boy and I were working through divorce (that IS a grieving process, especially for a child), we ordered messy, loaded cheese fries AND a chocolate dessert....diet breaker all the way, but here it is five years later and he still remembers it and brings it up when we go away (not that I've stayed anywhere with room service with him lately - but we've ordered pizza to the room...)

As for what you were thinking...well, Joni, you're taking a few risks. As long as you don't attempt sky-diving without a parachute, all should be well. I don't like flying either, especially take off and landing - BUT, I'd hate to have to drive for the time it takes to get the distance you can go on an airplane.... Alex will be excited, too. This WILL be a good trip for the two of you. Maybe not in the traditional sense of the word, but it will be good FOR you (like eating your carrots).

Take care, and be safe.

Becky

Ok Joni,

I got a nice hall pass that will make it through the metal detector just fine. Have a good time. Alex will be so excited you'll forget how much you hate to fly. I put John and Caitlin on a plane for Florida this morning, she was bouncing off the walls. Have a nice relaxing time with your son.

Rochelle