Mom's not doing well

Heather32

Mom found out her cancer spread to the brain July 5th and started 10 days of radiation. She started to lose her hair this time but still went back to work Monday July 26. Wednesday morning I got the phone call that she was rushed to the emergency room again. She had massive head aches and vomitting. The doctors told me 3 to 6 months would be a realistic bet. I am at a loss. Her work is going to fire her and that will mean we would lose her health insurance. I don't know what to do. Does anybody have any ideas on what I need to do? All input and prayers are welcome at this point!

Heather

Check to see if your mother has short or long term disability through her employer. Second, even if she does quit working, they have to offer her COBRA, which means that she can keep her insurance. Yes she would have to pay the premiums. Pls contact a social worker either at your mom's onc office, the hospital or contact the American Cancer Society nearest you. They will be able to help you help your mom find some economic relief. Without income from employment, she may quailify for state aid. You really need a professional, someone familiar with all the paperwork and rules and regulations to help you through the maze. You then can concentrate on helping your mom through treatments. My heart goes out to you. Praying for strengt, peace and fortitude for you both.

elaine

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

They can't fire her. It's against the law. She can apply for FMLA if she doesn't have disability. With FMLA, she is allowed to take up to 6 months off during a calendar year. If she has vacation or sick leave she can use that. In the meantime, apply for Social Security Disability. FMLA is a federal law.

I can imagine how hard this is for you and your mom. To have to cope with all these shenanigans along with the cancer is intolerable.

Cat

Thank you for replying so fast. She finished her radiation lst week and from what thay've been saying it's just for comfort not for a cure. She has already used up her short tem disability. I have talked with an HR person from her company and they said that she will be terminated after 6 months which is Aug 9th. She needs to fill out the paper work for her long term disability and COBRA will be offered. She has agreed to seek a second opinion down in Boston. New Hampshire isn't very agressive as far as treatments or answers.

• 3 weeks later...

Well we contacted a lawyer and because my Mom's company is a Government contract company they can pretty much do what ever they want. At least we know now and won't have to fight the company on it anymore.

On a good note Mom has an appointment at Dana Farber Cancer Institute on Aug. 27th. I hope they give us better news. All Mom's hope seems to be riding on this one appointment.

Lots of Love and Prayers for all! Wish us luck!

Heather

hi heather,

i'm sorry that i don't have any info concerning disability pay, but you seem to have that more in control. i'm praying for your mom, and i hope that her app't at the institute will provide more positive options.

God bless,

mj

My husband got terminated for being off for treatment - but we still have long term disability and Cobra insurance and it really didn't make any difference in the end. He was not likely to go back to work anyway.

There was very little paperwork to getting on Long Term Disability, they just used the info from the short term disability. We did a permission form for them to see medical records, they did everything else. No problem at all.

The Cobra took some effort - we were promised, we paid, but someone in that cycle was not very current on doing their paperwork - everyone blamed some other part of the circle. Finally I called the director of human relations at his former company, it all got fixed. It took us 24 days for the Cobra to kick in but it was all retroactive. Providers gave us no problem, we just told them Cobra was in the works and they resubmitted claims. The only out of pocket cost due to the delay - we had to pay for prescriptions full price until the Cobra went through. After it did, we got reimbursed.

You might as well go ahead and file for Social Security Disability now. It counts from the last day worked, you can apply right away though a check won't be due for 5-6 months but hopefully she will still be here to collect then. She could surprise them, you never know.

See if there are any company retirement pensions, too. She can kick those in now.

Anyway, financially and insurance wise, I had a whole lot of worries but everything worked out just fine and it probably would have if I worried or not. Don't be afraid to call customer service numbers as much as you want. They are used to that.

Best of luck.

countrygirl97

Anyway, financially and insurance wise, I had a whole lot of worries but everything worked out just fine and it probably would have if I worried or not

//////////////////

Consider yourself very lucky in this regard. Dealing with and battling the financial hurdles that keep popping up with cancer treatment can be overwhelming. This is a major source of stress in my household as medical expenses pile up and you never know with certainty what's covered and what isn't. An individual in our neighborhood has a daughter with breast cancer with mets. She currently has her house up for sale in order to cover her daughter's unpaid medical bills. My wife's medical oncologist told me once that fighting cancer can break you financially faster than any other disease.

Bill, when I think about it, you are right. The insurance came thorugh, the disability came through but we did have copays that mounted up. We have used up the deductibles, hopefully very few copays for the rest of the year ... True, too, we have had some lucky breaks, and this thing is far from over. Selling our house was plan Z, if we couldn't make the other things work.

Best luck to all of us, every way possible.