How to Balance/Prioritize

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out which appointments I need to be present for. I'm leaning towards consultations/discussions for now. Missing work for all the tests is going to render us homeless, seems we've been forsaken by the rent fairy.

Do I need to be available for all future treatment appointments as well? (radiation/chemo)

Any/all insights are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kate

Kate,

I am fortunate to have a job that is flexible and I attended most of John's appointments in the beginning and still do. I did not go to some of his radiation treatments because they were so quick and he felt well enough to drive, but always went to the onc. appointments and the chemo.

I am a firm believer that someone needs to be there during all chemo treatments. I just hate to see people at the infusion center alone. If not you, then enlist a friend or relative. I have seen people there alone have a reaction to the chemo and be scared to death. Its a scary time, and company is needed. Once when I couldn't go John's dad went with him. Do you have someone else that could help out?

Wish you all the best~

Rochelle

I agree with Ry --- someone should be there for consultations, test reports, chemo and radiation treatments. BUT, it does not have to be you all the time. Get family and friends to take turns. When Lucie was doing radiation five days a week, we took a signup sheet to the church and people signed up to take her. I only went with her on days she was seeing the doctor for a consultation. It gave me a break and it allowed people to be with her one-on-one, which was good for her and good for them. We have been very fortunate with the amount of support we get, and the people are aware the caregiver needs care as well. Good luck. Don

Thanks for speedy response!!

How does chemo work? All day long? Can you pick which days if it's not every day? Can you pick times of day? Sorry if questions are silly, I'm really just trying to figure out what adjustments I need to make.

Thanks so very much--the work situation has been very shaky, and I'm really scrambling here.

Kate

Well we were never there all day long. You can look at my signature for the list John had. Some do not take too long to run and others take a few hours. They do pre-meds for nausea and those don't take very long. Every chemo it seems has a different schedule, some are every 3 weeks etc. We could always pick our day and time though...

good luck

Your questions are good ones, but they need to be asked of the onc or nurse where the treatment is taking place. These things will vary from location to location on what days and times are available. You will have some leeway I am sure. As for how long it takes, it depends upon the chemo given. As Ry says, some are an hour or less; others take 3-4 hours. Don

Hi Kate,

Someone from my family was always with my mom for initial consults, check ups, procedures like CT scans, PET scans, biopsies, installing a port...we all took turns.Those in the family who could leave work did the shopping and errands. As others mentioned, it is good moral support and an extra pair of ears is essential. My brother drove to all the chemo appointments, and after mom got to know the routine and staff, he dropped her off and she called him when she was near the end of her session. She called chemo her "support group", everyone there really understood one another. I took her to all her radiation mapping and initial rad sessions, but soon she hired a "driver" so she felt independent and kept us guilt-free! Occasionally we'd make guest appearances with her when she met her radiation oncologist for her weekly check. A close friend brought her for blood work and shots. Lots of driving, but I won't trade one minute of it. I guess family is best, but allowing others to help when possible eases the load. In reviewing all this I can't believe we got thru it, one step at a time. You will too. Do as much as you can and ask about resources thru the hospital, church, town. I bet there is a lot out there but it takes some work. Keeping you and yours in my prayers.

Nancy

Hi Kate,

Speaking only for myself I think you should sit down with the person getting the treatments and see how they want to approach it. All parties involved are going to be overwhelmed with the diagnoses of lung cancer and what to do and how to approach it. It’s a one step and one day at a time learning experience. At first someone should be there to see how one reacts (cannot speak on radiation never had it) to the chemo and side effects etc. One should not drive if the chemo does affect them. But they might be perfectly fine and be able to go themselves if they so (it does get pretty boring and routine) desire as time goes on. Depends on how much/how many treatments one (also diagnoses/health/age/fears) might have. I myself did not see the need for someone to always be there with me and you brought up a good point about missing work. For most people they have a limited amount of time off and cannot always make it. If someone one is needed it does not mean it always has to be you. Could be a family member or friend. In my case I feel that my family/friends are under a lot more (with my illness/fears/everyday life) stress then me and I tell everyone to carry on life as normal as possible and not to let lung cancer take over every aspect of our lives. Hope this helps. My thoughts and prayers are with the both of you. Peace, take care and God Bless.

Rich

In the beginning, my hubby went with me to all appointments and was another pair of ears, in case I didn't absorb everything I was being told.

Once I started chemo...he would drop me off and come back later to pick me up. I go for chemo for three days, every three weeks. Day one, I'm there for a lot longer than on days 2 and 3. When radiation began, I had to get a shot every day prior to scheduled radiation...so again, five days a week now for the past several weeks....he drives me over, drops me off and then picks me up later.

My hubby is the type who really does not like hospitals, needles, blood...none of that stuff. :roll: He's very supportive in that he's willing to drive me back and forth so I don't have to worry about driving myself and possibly getting nauseous....but he prefers not to sit there if he doesn't have to. So...he drops me off and then goes to shop or whatever.

Friends have said, "Let us know if we can help"....but I find that unless you actually call them and say, "I NEED your help"....they won't call you again to remind you of their willingness. So...if you have friends who say they will help....take them up on it!

The nurses in your onc's office are also a good source of info for what you can expect...so ask them. I print out a monthly calendar from my computer and keep all appointments on it, with the times....which I find to be a big help. Especially when my radiation time gets changed for some reason....it's nice to have someplace OTHER than my head to keep all this info...so I don't get things all goofed up! :wink: