Lung Leak

Justakid

Has anyone experienced a leak in their lung after the lobectomy?

When I went to radiation this morning I told the Dr that I felt like I had an air bubble floating around. She took an x-ray and there is a leak in my lung, she called the surgeon on call, he said that he can not believe that there is a leak two months after surgery. Have to have another xray on Monday to see what is happening then.

Any ideas on how this treated? Do they insert a needle to drain it, cut you back open and reseal it? Anyone know anything?

First, they won't have to "cut you back open." They will insert a tube into the area where the leak is located. The tube will allow the air to escape and any accumulated fluid to drain into an attached reservoir. It is a bit painful to have it inserted, and uncomfortable to have, but you can manage it at home until the leak seals itself. A bit odd to have the leak show up 2 months later, but weird stuff happens all the time with lung cancer, doesn't it? Good luck to you. Hope this bump in the road flattens out very soon.

Beth...

PM ME!!! MY DAD IS GOING THROUGH THE EXACT SAME THING RIGHT NOW!!!

I would like to hear whats been going on... maybe we can help each other.... hes in alot of pain... noone here seems to know of this, I posted awhile ago about it, and noone knew.

Jamie

Thanks for the responses!

I ended up in the emergency room on Sunday because I couldn't breath and my chest was very tight. Seems my lung collaped 20%, but it was re-inflating by itself. Spent the night in the hospital on oxygen, no chest tube (Thank God).

Dr's say it is weird that it happened 2mths after surgery, but not unheard of, they said the radiation can weaken the lung even though it is not directly targeted.

I don't know anything about surgery, but Steve had a pleurodesis which sealed the lung to the pleural cavity and it has been fine. His problem had been fluid fillling the pleural cavity, totally collapsing the lung (2 thoracentesis & chest tube 9 days). Also, a friend from Ireland said she had a pleurodesis many, many years ago to correct a leaking lung and no problems since (she did not have lc). Hope you can find the answer soon.

Hi--I asked the forum a similar question a few weeks ago when my mom had fluid building up in her lungs after surgery too. Hers appeared about 3 weeks after surgery. The Dr. removed the fluid about 2 weeks ago, but unfortunately it is now back. She is going in on Monday for an additional procedure to remove the fluid again and to stop the leak--I'm not sure of the name, maybe the "pleurodesis" procedure mentioned above. We hope this works, since it has been causing her to cough non-stop which is exhausting to her body.

Best wishes to you

Denise