Mom's First Chemo Treatment

Tree

Today is my mom's first chemo treatment and I can't be with her. My Aunt is going with her, since she has been through chemo. I'm afraid to talk to her today because I really don't know how she will feel. I always have to tip toe around her when she comes back from doctors visits for the next two days. She get extremely frighten and doen't what to go through any of the treatment. I'm scared that she is going to just give up and not want to live anymore. Then there are good days when she is like her old self and there is no tremble in her voice. Any way back to the first treatment, she was given steroids to take before the treatment. They are suppose to give her extreme energy, this I'm not to happy about becuase she already has so much energy, she use to work 10 hour days five days a week and no that she doesn't work she has all this built up energy that she doesn't know what to do with and it is driving her crazy, now she will have more energy. How is she going to handle her time. I'm also scared that she is going to get sick and not want to go through the treatments anymore. I know this is a scary time for here, but it is also scary for me. Can some one give advise on how to handle this?

Tree

Take a deep breath! You can't be there for your mom and be supportive if you're freaked out! Trust me on this!

I think it's good your Aunt is going with her since she's been through chemo. The worst thing is not knowing what to expect.

Try not to be so anxious - your mom needs your calm support.

as far as her energy level goes, let her do whatever she feels like doing. Dave was on steroids for a while a few weeks ago and was so hyper that he started cleaning out closets, file cabinets, baskets of junk. at first it made me nervous but then I sorta enjoyed it - getting stuff cleaned out! A chemo patient should do as much as they feel like doing, to just sit around is to give in.

Maybe you should see a therapist and get some anti-anxiety meds. Better living through chemicals, I say!

Karen C.

Tree,

The best answer I can give you is one day at a time. Yes, she's scared and of course you are too. How old are you if you dont mind my asking? Are the two of you able to talk about a lot? Under normal circumstances (before the cancer) were you two open enough to share your feelings and thoughts with each other? I know I am asking a lot of questions but It's hard to try an answer your questions without knowing about your relationship before the cancer.

See how she does today and in the days coming and follow her cue. If you feel you can talk with her about it, approach her. She may want to talk to you but be afraid of scaring you more.

I just have one more question.... What made you choose the name tree as your screen name? Tree's arent real flexable and I am just interested in why you chose the name. We have a thread going here on that very question. My prayers are with you Tree and try and answer some of my questions so I can better understand your situation.

God Bless You Both,

Jane

Tree

Everyone responds differently to chemo - my Mum was really good for the most part. I think attitude has something to do with it. If your Mom believes that she will fly thru with no problems, then I think she is more likely to have an easier time with it. It's good that your Aunt is going with her.

I hope that the treatment goes well.

Karen

Tree,

The side effects from the steroids they give before treatment usually only last a day or two, so the energy level should only be a problem when she gets treatment. (see my note below about this). They are also probably giving her anti-nausea meds by iv before the chemo, and she probably won't get sick. Remember - I said PROBABLY. The anti-nausea meds are great these days, but some do still have problems with nausea. Everybody's different. Even most of the ones that do have a problem, compazine and/or some other meds the doctor can prescribe usually do a great job of keeping the nausea under control. It will be ok.

Please keep us posted.

God bless you,

Peggy

*My husband is NOT a talker - he just isn't. On the days he got the steroids on chemo days, I swear he would talk nonstop after we went to bed and, therefore, I couldn't sleep either. I remember laying in bed thinking Ooooooooh Myyyyyyyyy Goddddddddd!! He's possessed! Just as soon as he would stop with one subject, he was off on another. :lol::lol: