Bronchoscopy

kimblanchard

Hi friends,

As you know we are exploring other options for Bill. One is a lung vaccine clinical trial where a tissue sample of the tumor is required. We were told a bronchoscopy might be a way rather than invasive surgery (a research nurse told us this). Have any of you had this done to get a tissue sample or know anything about it?

Thanks much,

Peg

Peg, my husband Tim had this done twice. They lightly sedated him and looked inside his lung. They took pictures (very interesting) and samples for the dx. He had it done a second time by the surgeon that will do his pneumonectomy tomorrow. No real side effects except for coughing after for about 30 minutes after from the irriation. It really wasn't too bad.

Annie

I had a bronchoscopy as part of my initial diagnosis. It is an outpatient procedure, with anesthesia. My doctor said most people don't remember any of it. I remember parts of mine--evidently I fought pretty hard at one point to sit up and cough the tube out. But anyway, it was not a big deal. I was dopey for a while because of the anesthesia and my cough seemed worse for a few days, but that was the only lingering effect.

Becky

Hi Peg---I had this done three times---once when I was getting my lobectomy--he did this first to make sure there was nothing going on that the cats did not show---second was after surgery --as I was draining too much fluid and he thought that there was some damage as I did not have a separation of lobes so he had to make one (it turned out there was an air leak in the drain tubes) then third when I had enlarged nodes---he did that and a medianscopy(sp)---(all negative)

I was out for all three so do not remember a thing---the second one they wanted to just sedate me---I said no thank you, please knock me out-- :roll:

I am hoping for good results for your husband---

regards Eileen

I had a plural effusion that was positive for cancer but to confirm they did a bronhoscopy. They numb he throat and insert a tube i beleive with a cutter on it and take a piece of tissue biopsy.It is not painfull may feel some soreness where they cut but not much, When they put rhe tube down your throat just swallow it will slide right down. Hope this helps. Carlton

Hi Peg.

Also had it done as part on my initial dx. , they took a sample of the tumor as well as a picture of it. didn't feel a thing :o:o ; they sedated me and the next thing I remember was that it was over. Home in a few hours.

Sounds like your getting some good options

God bless and be well

Bobmc - NSCLC- stage IIB - left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

I also had it done in order for them to get a biopsy and determine what type of cancer it was. The worst part to me was the horrible stuff they spray in your throat to numb it, the taste is really gross and I fought it at first but then just forced myself to do it in order to get it over with. I "thought" I was awake for the whole thing but evidently I was not because the Pulmonologist told me she gave me a lot of anesthesia. I was awake right afterwards and the only after effect was a lot of coughing and wheezing for about a week. They gave me some steroids for five days to clear it up. Its not that bad, I am sure Bill will do fine.. Pray that they will find some options for him.

Bess B

Dear Peg,

I am wondering if you could share information. Where is Bill going for the vaccine trial that involves a tissue sample? I follow what you are doing very closely because I feel that I am right behind him in my diagnosis and treatment.

If you have time to post information, I would appreciate that so much. Thank you Peg. I am praying that everything will work in Bill's favor.

Ada