BENZONATATE for COUGHING AND THROAT IRRITATION

Rick

I am not sure if anyone has tried this, however, when I was recovering from my stint of London based TB my doctor gave me this perscription and it helped with the flim and coughing...

Benzonatate

Benzonatate (Tessalon Perles)

Benzonatate

(ben-ZOH-nah-tayt)

Pregnancy Category: C Tessalon Perles (Rx)

Classification: Antitussive, nonnarcotic

Action/Kinetics: Acts peripherally by anesthetizing stretch receptors in the respiratory passages, lungs, and pleura, thus depressing the cough reflex at its source. No effect on the respiratory center in the doses recommended. Onset: 15-20 min. Duration: 3-8 hr.

Uses: Symptomatic relief of cough.

Contraindications: Sensitivity to benzonatate or related drugs such as procaine and tetracaine.

Special Concerns: Use with caution during lactation. Safety and efficacy have not been determined in children less than 10 years of age.

Side Effects: Hypersensitivity reactions: Bronchospasm, laryngospasm, CV collapse. GI: Nausea, GI upset, constipation. CNS: Sedation, headache, dizziness, mental confusion, visual hallucinations. Dermatologic: Pruritus, skin eruptions. Miscellaneous: Nasal congestion, sensation of burning in the eyes, "chilly" sensation, numbness of the chest.

Ricky -

When Mike had his first round of chemo, he coughed so hard he broke a rib (never had a cough prior to that). He was given Benzonatate (Tessalon Perles). Really stops the cough!

How are you doing with your TB? Isn't that something that lays dormant in your body for years?

Hugs,

It is supposed to be cured. I had to take 7 months worth of Ionizade or something like this.

It left me about 30lbs heavier from the meds and a chronic cough... Just my luck, go to London and get something like this..